The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Tavares done with Islanders according to Sportsnet 590 Broadcaster (Toronto)

9 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

I don't believe so.

I believe he will wind up with a team that is in a better position to contend for the Cup.

That sort of depends how the team is spinning it. It's no secret there's a lot of young talent. It depends on what Tavares wants. Toronto got clobbered in the playoffs, and for both Vancouver and Toronto he's not a defenceman. I'm not saying it's likely. The Canucks will kick the tires at least. 

Can you imagine San Jose with Tavares? That will be a rebuild on the fly with Tavares and Kane. Thornton and Marleau who?

This part of the quote I loved as well:

Have heard from far too many connected people that the only way JT was staying was a reaffirmed commitment to Weight as head coach.

If true (doubtful), way to go and sever your relationships with those “many connected people.”

24 minutes ago, mugiwara said:
  • Is there a possibility he signs here

Certainly there is a possibility.

There also is a possibility that Sofia Vergara and Scarlet Johansson decide that they can’t live without me and become my girlfriends... and that my wife is totally going to be OK with that.

Vancouver’s odds of landing Tavares is slightly better.

1 minute ago, Provost said:

There also is a possibility that Sofia Vergara and Scarlet Johansson decide that they can’t live without me and become my girlfriends... and that my wife is totally going to be OK with that.

I find your odds a lot better than the Canucks landing the top free agent in the market (should he make it, of course).

11 minutes ago, Monty said:

This part of the quote I loved as well:

Have heard from far too many connected people that the only way JT was staying was a reaffirmed commitment to Weight as head coach.

If true (doubtful), way to go and sever your relationships with those “many connected people.”

Nobody with real credibility would refer to their "many connected people" to prove their speculation correct. I've never seen insiders like McKenzie or Friedman use this kind of language in a tweet.

28 minutes ago, mugiwara said:
  • Is there a possibility he signs here

The only way that happens is if we can convince him that we would have a contending team soon.  I think we would (especially with him) but he may not be interested in waiting a couple of years to have that happen.  We are certainly lower on the list given that there are contending teams that would be interested.

I believe San Jose makes the most sense.  To me, Toronto doesn't considering they have Matthews and are already in a cap crunch because of it.  Besides that, it doesn't make sense to have Matthews on the 2nd line.

We are, however, one of the few teams that would be interested that have copious amount of cap space available.  It's for this reason I do have a shred of hope he might come here.  It would certainly jump start our rebuild dramatically.  Unfortunately, I don't see an appropriate left winger to play with him.  Baertschi?  Leipsic?  If he did come, his first year would be anything but spectacular.

I don't think our odds are quite as bad as some people make them out to be, but it is pretty much a consensus the chances are slim.

1 minute ago, kloubek said:

The only way that happens is if we can convince him that we would have a contending team soon.  I think we would (especially with him) but he may not be interested in waiting a couple of years to have that happen.  We are certainly lower on the list given that there are contending teams that would be interested.

I believe San Jose makes the most sense.  To me, Toronto doesn't considering they have Matthews and are already in a cap crunch because of it.  Besides that, it doesn't make sense to have Matthews on the 2nd line.

We are, however, one of the few teams that would be interested that have copious amount of cap space available.  It's for this reason I do have a shred of hope he might come here.  It would certainly jump start our rebuild dramatically.  Unfortunately, I don't see an appropriate left winger to play with him.  Baertschi?  Leipsic?  If he did come, his first year would be anything but spectacular.

We might not have a bonafide top line LW, but what about this? Sign Tavares to a max contract, give him the captaincy for say, 5 years, and put him at 1LW with Horvat and Boeser? Playing the wing might take some of the load off Tavares. 

7 minutes ago, Provost said:

Sorry Provost. Sofia and Scarlett already made their choice. I can't help it that they find me irresistible.

17 minutes ago, Provost said:

Wow are you greedy. I'd be quite happy with Hayley Atwell. Quality over quantity. 

3 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

I find it really hard to believe that the sticking point for Tavares would be to have Weight back as coach. The team was a mess, especially defensively. I don't know why you'd want Weight back. 

No kidding. 

“Hey Lou, I know I’ve played for many coaches over my career, but it’s important I play for Doug Weight and Doug Weight only. You know, because I’m a 10 year old kid and not a 27 year old adult.”

16 minutes ago, Pears said:

We might not have a bonafide top line LW, but what about this? Sign Tavares to a max contract, give him the captaincy for say, 5 years, and put him at 1LW with Horvat and Boeser? Playing the wing might take some of the load off Tavares. 

Does he even play wing?  I guess he did for Canada didn't he?  That's an interesting thought for next season anyway. The other thought is that he remains at center and in a year we put Pettersson with him since there would no longer be a potential center spot for him. Pettersson Tavares Boeser could and probably would be an uber deadly line.

I've also heard that there was no way Lou took the job in NY unless he had direct knowledge that there was a very good chance JT would re-sign with NYI. 

Lou of all people wouldn't be setting himself up for failure - either he gets JT to re-sign or he already has two plan B's for his franchise to sustain this loss. 

The hiring of Lou in and of itself could be seen as a direct message to JT that their franchise is finally serious about building a winner - that alone could help facilitate a re-signing. 

As much as I would love Tavares to sign with the Canucks, I think we should focus more on Carlson. We have so much talent coming up with our offense but little in Dmen. He would be cheaper and we would quickly turn around the look of our back end this offseason with him and our draft pick. 

7 minutes ago, Tower102 said:

As much as I would love Tavares to sign with the Canucks, I think we should focus more on Carlson. We have so much talent coming up with our offense but little in Dmen. He would be cheaper and we would quickly turn around the look of our back end this offseason with him and our draft pick. 

I agree we should look at Carlson hard too, but, we need a franchise center and with the amount of cap space we have, we could easily give Tavares what he wants without crippling our future cap space. 

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

The team was a mess this year defensively. Coaching has to take some of the blame. If there's one thing Vegas has proven this year, a great coach can make a huge difference.

Weight had to go. If Tavares can't see that, then that's on him.

Been a mess for years. Very mismanaged franchise for years. Die hard fans though. I give them credit for all they been through . 

Archived