The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Pettersson definitely does, but this is the first time this year I'm going to push everything else I'm supposed to do aside and make time for this game. Hughes was someone I followed all of last year and he was my favorite prospect early in for the draft, so seeing that follow through to the NHL will be somewhat satisfying for me personally. Pettersson obviously got my attention this year too though. 

Ok, phew! I'm on board with you about Hughes, tho. So excited to see his silky skating.

45 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

I'm not going to put down the Miata; they are great cars and would absolutely be on my short list if I were in the market for a sports car. But the RS7 has something like 600 hp and does 0-60 mph in something like 3.6 seconds. The Miata is not in the same class. 

It's probably just as much fun to drive though :lol:

1 hour ago, WeneedLumme said:

I'm not going to put down the Miata; they are great cars and would absolutely be on my short list if I were in the market for a sports car. But the RS7 has something like 600 hp and does 0-60 mph in something like 3.6 seconds. The Miata is not in the same class. 

Definitely fun to drive but there is likely some Tanev reference there for reliability. Hoping for Hughes to have the Mazda reliability :)

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

It's probably just as much fun to drive though :lol:

3 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Definitely fun to drive but there is likely some Tanev reference there for reliability. Hoping for Hughes to have the Mazda reliability :)

Audis aren't too bad for reliability, and the RS7 would be a lot of fun when you want to go fast. But for the money I would probably choose a different car, whereas  I could see buying the Miata, which certainly would be fun. And personally I am hoping Hughes has more like Lexus reliability, like Henrik's ironman streak.

• Cheers 1

I’ve said it before. I’ll say it again, Game Changer. 

Certain guys around the league “unlock” offense from the back end. These guys are crucial to winning Stanley Cups. 

LA had Doughty, Chicago had Keith, Pittsburgh had Letang. The list goes on for cup winners.

Proud to say say the Canucks got there own. 

Welcome me to the ride Canucks fans it’s only goes up from here. We make the playoffs next year. Quote me. 

• Cheers 1

Happy to see this thread in the Current Roster section ! He is the real deal and created a ton of chances tonight and clearly gelled with Petey and Boes who were happy to have him there (a sick play making creative af d-man). Watched the whole game tonight and kind of leaning towards tank nation especially after Hughes first point but im sure he wanted to win so im happy with it  :towel:

Edited by Chicken.

Seeing him out there against NHL competition was an eye opener.  (Granted the competition was one of the worst teams in the league).

His vision is excellent and he thinks the game quickly.  His skating is as advertised both from a speed as well as mobility perspective.

I know it is only one game, but I already believe he will be a #1d in relatively short order.  But much like Pettersson, I'm not sure how high his ceiling really is.

I will also say that I remain concerned about his size and subsequent durability. The one hit I saw him take sent him flying tonight. I think he is going to have to use that skating regularly to keep himself from getting crushed. He is also going to need a very defensively responsible partner to allow him to pinch as deep as it appears he likes to do.

Hell of a skater, fantastic vision, the question will be how he holds up in the defensive side of things because we've now all seen what he can bring offensively. Pairing him with Schenn is nice but I think come next season he'll probably work his way up into our top-4 and it might be wise to pair him with a veteran shutdown defenceman like Tanev. Stecher and Hughes might be too small a D-pairing.

Edler - Stecher

Hughes - Tanev

Hutton - ?

? = fight between Biega, Schenn, Pouliot, Teves but hopefully we sign a defenceman in the off-season, ideally Gardiner, to slot in on that right side and a bit more depth.

Potential candidates for Hughes' partner next season in ideal order: Gardiner, Tanev, Stecher, Schenn, Biega