The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

5 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

whl d.JPG

Impressive, considering a few of those guys have played more games than him. 

Woo bring the physical game in addition, not many defencemen do that anymore.

Might be early, but he's a steal

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

whl d.JPG

Woo is in the same mix as Ty Smith, yet is physically tough, great shooting, fast skating and very hard hitting guy.  Hughes will be a steal of a gift at 7, but Woo will end up being one of the steals of the draft.  

His injury let him fall.  Based on this seasons play, I think he would have been top 15 worthy last year.  

A Hughes Woo pairing could be a fixture in a few years.  Getting a top d pairing in a draft with only using 2 picks, impressive.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

10 hours ago, J-23 said:

Impressive, considering a few of those guys have played more games than him. 

Woo bring the physical game in addition, not many defencemen do that anymore.

Might be early, but he's a steal

of the 6 players above him, 4 of them are scoring at effectively identical rates and are only ahead due to games played, josh brook is a year older, and ty smith was a first rounder last year.

not bad at all. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Woo is in the same mix as Ty Smith, yet is physically tough, great shooting, fast skating and very hard hitting guy.  Hughes will be a steal of a gift at 7, but Woo will end up being one of the steals of the draft.  

His injury let him fall.  Based on this seasons play, I think he would have been top 15 worthy last year.  

A Hughes Woo pairing could be a fixture in a few years.  Getting a top d pairing in a draft with only using 2 picks, impressive.  

Woo is absulutely not in the same mix as Ty Smith,  how do you figure that?  Smith has #1 D potential and his points and play this year in the WHL and world juniors showed that.  Woo didn't even make the team.  I love Woo but lets not get carried away

3 hours ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Woo is absulutely not in the same mix as Ty Smith,  how do you figure that?  Smith has #1 D potential and his points and play this year in the WHL and world juniors showed that.  Woo didn't even make the team.  I love Woo but lets not get carried away

I dont know about that. Woo has the tools to be #1 dman. Smith probably will be great, I just think maybe Woo has a decent chance of being on par or better. He models his game after Shea Weber and I see a lot of comparables besides height. Better numbers at the same age as well. Two stud D were picked last draft and were gonna WooHughing for a lonnng time.

For some reason I feel that if Woo is to young for the AHL next season he would benefit from a year in the Swiss league. A change of scenery could be good for his professional development and playing against men in Switzerland would get him ready for the AHL or NHL. 

7 hours ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Selection to team Canada is a political beast.  Woo missed the cut by a very small margin.  

Woo is producing offence a a ppg pace, near what Ty Smith is producing.  Yet Woo can do alot of things Ty can't.  

Had Woo not been injured in his draft year, he would have been in the mix of d men taken in the top half of the first round.  

Disagree if you want, but to use a WJT selection with TC doing so poorly one has to wonder if TC missed its Woo factor.  Maybe, maybe not.  

4 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Selection to team Canada is a political beast.  Woo missed the cut by a very small margin.  

Woo is producing offence a a ppg pace, near what Ty Smith is producing.  Yet Woo can do alot of things Ty can't.  

Had Woo not been injured in his draft year, he would have been in the mix of d men taken in the top half of the first round.  

Disagree if you want, but to use a WJT selection with TC doing so poorly one has to wonder if TC missed its Woo factor.  Maybe, maybe not.  

Not to downplay what Woo is doing as he's having a great year and I'm really excited about his future, but you might want to recheck the numbers Ty Smith has been putting up this year.

He's put up 49 points in 35 games which is 1.4ppg. That's quite a bit higher than Woo's still impressive 0.98ppg. Smith is really in a league of his own this year regarding defenseman point production. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

Not to downplay what Woo is doing as he's having a great year and I'm really excited about his future, but you might want to recheck the numbers Ty Smith has been putting up this year.

He's put up 49 points in 35 games which is 1.4ppg. That's quite a bit higher than Woo's still impressive 0.98ppg. Smith is really in a league of his own this year regarding defenseman point production. 

Woo and Smith are so different it doesn't make any sense at all to compare the two. Woo is a physical presense with smarts and a shot. Smith is a dynamic D.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Sorry man, i love woo but Ty Smith has been an animal this year and is potentially the CHL defenseman of the year haha. 

Woo is a fantastic prospect but I would trade him for Smith in a heartbeat. You would be stupid not to.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

That's my thoughts on it as well, TC needed some grit on the backend...not that I would have replaced Smith with Woo but there were at least 2 other D that Woo could have replaced and we would have likely done better.

• Upvote 2