The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

On 3/14/2019 at 3:18 PM, Top Sven Baercheese said:

I thought he would develop well this year, but never expected him to become over a PPG player. That's pretty incredible for a guy with his size

Which aspect of his size does that have to do with?  Sorry for ending with a preposition, but it strains my brain cells to juggle that into a proper sentence.

On 3/14/2019 at 3:25 PM, Rick Blight said:

Alf, are you sure he is viscous?:towel:

vis·cous
/ˈviskəs/
adjective

1. having a thick, sticky consistency between solid and liquid; having a high viscosity.
    "viscous lava"
    synonyms: sticky, gummy, glue-like, gluey, adhesive, tacky, adhering, adherent, sticking, clinging, treacly, syrupy;

Now that I’m somewhat sober, that’s funny!  :lol:  I couldn’t understand it till now!  :lol:

• Cheers 2

On 3/14/2019 at 8:16 PM, Grape said:

Not trying to be a party pooper, but even as a PPG player, Woo is the 5th leading scorer on the team, and likely has his stats inflated a bit right now.

For that reason I don't think PPG is too insane for him right now. It's obviously fantastic, but not insane production given the circumstances. 

Also for that reason I don't think we should be throwing names like Shea Weber in there haha, let's temper expectations even though he's looking really legit so far.

Go get crushed grape.  

His stats are great, sure he is the 5th leading scorer on his team, which would be expected for a defence man.  

I am not a huge fan of comparisons for prospects which have the tag line 

"The next one etc."  Folks maybe mistakingly misuse the term.  

I see lots of similarities in playing styles, skating, hitting etc...  It reminds us of great players or bad players we have seen before.  It could be a clue to their abilities or just smoke.  

Woo has an abrasive side that reminds people of like Shea Weber, but I am reminded of KB3 with is personality.  Woo is not the next of either player.  Woo is Woo.  

His point totals are a positive indication that he can produce good offence and maybe be able to translate that into an NHL role one day.  His physical play, defensive awareness and skating will hopefully translate too.  

So far he is looking blue chip to me and I could see him getting a 9 game stint next season.  If he could partner well with Hughes or OJ he will be sure to get points.  So if we are lucky he could be a comparable player and have a similar role as Hamhuis had for us.  With a but more swagger and chippyness to his game.   Long way to go before we get see wha Woo will do.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Go get crushed grape.  

His stats are great, sure he is the 5th leading scorer on his team, which would be expected for a defence man.  

I am not a huge fan of comparisons for prospects which have the tag line 

"The next one etc."  Folks maybe mistakingly misuse the term.  

I see lots of similarities in playing styles, skating, hitting etc...  It reminds us of great players or bad players we have seen before.  It could be a clue to their abilities or just smoke.  

Woo has an abrasive side that reminds people of like Shea Weber, but I am reminded of KB3 with is personality.  Woo is not the next of either player.  Woo is Woo.  

His point totals are a positive indication that he can produce good offence and maybe be able to translate that into an NHL role one day.  His physical play, defensive awareness and skating will hopefully translate too.  

So far he is looking blue chip to me and I could see him getting a 9 game stint next season.  If he could partner well with Hughes or OJ he will be sure to get points.  So if we are lucky he could be a comparable player and have a similar role as Hamhuis had for us.  With a but more swagger and chippyness to his game.   Long way to go before we get see wha Woo will do.  

Whoaaa that’s an insult I don’t hear often :shock:

See I don’t disagree with that at all I was just responding to people saying his production level is insane right now. Which it isn’t, because as you said, it’s expected as a defenseman to be the 5th leading scorer. And so I’m trying to put things into perspective/temper expectations and argue that it’s not necessarily ‘insane’ and instead just really good.

On 3/14/2019 at 3:47 PM, 250Integra said:

Next Shea Weber?

You get an upvote for that...

I'm not sure if he has that kind of talent but a lot of the better NHL d-men were taken in the second round so it is fair to dream.

On March 14, 2019 at 12:06 PM, Off_The_Schneid! said:

That puts him in 6th place for defenseman scoring in the whl

a couple of players ahead of him have played 5 more games 

one of the players ahead of him is Ty Smith, high first round pick and 

Bowen Byram

edit: just did some research on Dawson Davidson who is 1st for points and a 2nd year overager

so Woo is definitely up there among the best point production for his age 

I am very very excited about Woo watched him play three times this year... His point totals are as high as they are because they have 3 super star forward and his D partner Brooks74 points..Two of the forwards are in top 5 in league scoring....

Now Smith has no help padding his points 57 GP --69 points just incredible playing with very little talent around him...

Byram in Vancouver is much the same He has no big stars around him....

Would really like to see Byram with # 5 or 6th pick... This young man is loaded with talent ....

9 minutes ago, wildcam said:

His point totals are as high as they are because they have 3 super star forward and his D partner Brooks74 points..Two of the forwards are in top 5 in league scoring....

Maybe the 3 super star forwards, and the other d man have such high point totals because they play with Woo.

In fact it is possible that all those players being together have an effect on each other's scoring?

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, gurn said:

Maybe the 3 super star forwards, and the other d man have such high point totals because they play with Woo.

In fact it is possible that all those players being together have an effect on each other's scoring?

My point is that Woo has guys that are so talented you pick up lots of assists because these super stars have finish .

Moose Jaw Top 5

1. Langan 110 points  -2.Almeida 108 points - 3. Tracey 81 points - 4. Brooks 74 points --Woo 61 points  GP 60

Giants top scores ---

1.Koch F -78 points  GP  67    --   2. Byram  D 71 points  GP 67 Byram all alone in talent department

Spokane

1.Woods F Points 74 - GP 64    2. ((  Smith D  points 69 - GP 57  Smith no talent around him ?

All that I am saying is don't be disappointed with his point totals next year as these talented player will not be on his team..

Woo is a very good player but I see him more as a solid #4  D guy with more offence then Tanev and more gritty with great passes out of his D zone, ...Woo has a edge to his game with a very bright future.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, wildcam said:

My point is that Woo has guys that are so talented you pick up lots of assists because these super stars have finish .

Moose Jaw Top 5

1. Langan 110 points  -2.Almeida 108 points - 3. Tracey 81 points - 4. Brooks 74 points --Woo 61 points  GP 60

Giants top scores ---

1.Koch F -78 points  GP  67    --   2. Byram  D 71 points  GP 67 Byram all alone in talent department

Spokane

1.Woods F Points 74 - GP 64    2. ((  Smith D  points 69 - GP 57  Smith no talent around him ?

All that I am saying is don't be disappointed with his point totals next year as these talented player will not be on his team..

Woo is a very good player but I see him more as a solid #4  D guy with more offence then Tanev and more gritty with great passes out of his D zone, ...Woo has a edge to his game with a very bright future.

The thing is, with Brook gone woo's production went up. He ran that team and quarter backed their pp without their number 1 D.

I think people are just happy to see his offensive game blossom so much, there's alot more there than what people originally thought.

27 minutes ago, BCNate said:

What would this be in regard to?  8 games next year?  I thought he had to be NHL or CHL next season.

He would; but that does not prevent them from signing him in the off season and as long as he plays 9 or less games at the start of next season he can still go back to Jr. if need be. Also pretty sure if he does go back to Jr. his ELC contract slides one year in tandem with that.

49 minutes ago, BCNate said:

What would this be in regard to?  8 games next year?  I thought he had to be NHL or CHL next season.

He hasn't signed his ELC yet. They'll probably sign him this summer (the reward being a nice 100k signing bonus).

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

He hasn't signed his ELC yet. They'll probably sign him this summer (the reward being a nice 100k signing bonus).

So basically he signs his ELC and gets $100K, and then goes back to MJ for next year after potentially playing a few games in camp pr the start of the year?

• Upvote 1