The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Madden | C

Tomato Pajamas

Just now, aGENT said:

I love how some people don't think these kids can grow still :lol:

So true.  They will all mature.

i like that JB picks guys with high ceilings.

i heard Brackett say they picked Madden over Others because of a higher ceiling.

• Upvote 2

intriguing choice, would have liked Wise myself as I think he has a higher offensive ceiling but if Madden can be a shutdown #3C who is great on the PK then that would be great!

His Dad was a very good defensive C, maybe our new Manny 2.0?

On 23/06/2018 at 10:59 AM, DrJockitch said:

Him and Jere Lehtonen on the Stars were just amazing, undervalued defensive wingers, best two of their era IMO.

I like what I read about this kid, nice to see him go to Gaudette's alma mater.

Love the little guy who can fly and is fiesty.

Skating, skating, skating.  Man I feel for Gaunce, in a couple years this won't be the team for him.

You have a good point about gaunce.  Wonder if he will survive. 

1 hour ago, erkayloomeh said:

I have my doubts that Gaunce will survive this year. I wouldn't be shocked if Gaunce gets waived at the end of training camp. He's got zero offensive upside and though he is sound defensively, he offers little else. If the Canucks sign a defensive C (like Beagle) on July 1st, don't consider Gaunce a lock to make the Canucks.

As for Madden, I liked Wise more, but I trust Brackett & company... I'll wait and see how Madden turns out. There's a good chance Madden makes an impact in the NCAA over the next three years. Fingers crossed he does.

On 6/23/2018 at 3:08 PM, DeNiro said:

Well usually the size of their parents gives a good indication of what size he'll be when he's fully matured. I kind of doubt John Madden was 190 when he was drafted.

40 pounds is not that much to put on when we're talking about at least 3 years of college, and developing physically. 

People put too much emphasis on the size of these 18 year olds. Playing style is alot more important to me right now, the size and strength will come later. From all indications he plays alot like his dad, maybe even more tenacious, and his dad did alright for his size.

I see so many people propose that we should draft all these big players. What good is size if they don't even know how to use it? We've seen lots of big guys come through this organization that are big yet play a small mans game. I'd take a smaller guy that plays bigger than he is any day.

For those of you making comparisons of Tyler to his dad John in terms of size and weight, his dad's weight was 170 lbs in his sophomore (2nd) year playing college at Michigan and entered the NHL as rookie with the playing weight of 185 lbs:

https://mgoblue.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4634

Edited by HomeBrew
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

For those of you making comparisons of Tyler to his dad John in terms of size and weight, his dad's weight was 170 lbs in his sophomore (2nd) year playing college at Michigan and entered the NHL as rookie with the playing weight of 185 lbs:

https://mgoblue.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4634

John Madden put up a 98 point season in 75 games in the AHL before turning into a defensive stud at the NHL level. Tyler thinks he has more offense to his game than his dad. This will be interesting.

Another interesting note, John Madden's college career included playing with former Canucks Bill Muckalt and Brendan Morrison.

Taken from there Canucks.com NHL: home page

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/vancouver-canucks-draft-class-stats/c-299267636

Madden was traded mid-season from the Central Illinois Flying Aces to the Tri-City Storm. He ended the season with 15 goals and 19 assists in 50 games split between the two clubs but was involved in a noteworthy 27.0% of the goals scored when he was dressed.

He led the Storm in shots on goal with 141 and finished 2nd in points-per-game with the only player above him appearing only 20 games. Although more of a hybrid offensive player, Madden finished the year in 10th in shots per game by first time draft eligible forwards. He was 13th in primary assists in that same group with 79.4% of his points being a goal or primary assist.

It's clear that Madden was the primary driver of offence when he was on the ice and since the Storm struggled to close out the season, his numbers don't fully represent what he was doing on the ice. He is headed to Northeastern University and if paired with some offensive guys, could see his numbers climb rapidly.

• Upvote 1

Madden has some good genes, and I understand he plays like a firecracker. His Dad was only 5'11" 190, but had a great career. I imagine Tyler will also grow a bit. Guilty of not watching any video yet. 

Benning has managed to get top 3 picks without ever having a top 3 pick:

Boeser* (tough draft year, so it's debatable)

Pettersson

Hughes

• Upvote 1

I don't think the pre-draft video of the Canucks evaluating the centres was about Madden and Wise. If anything it was probably about Barrett Hayton and Kotkaniemi.

At one, point during the video they mentioned if the player played on another team/role, he would get 80pts (Hayton had 60pts). Also Weisbrod said "playing the same way" in the prospects game and Hayton played in the prospects game.

If you read the Province article today, the Canucks and Blackhawks were also very high on this guy. Blackhawks tried to move up to get him.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Madden has some good genes, and I understand he plays like a firecracker. His Dad was only 5'11" 190, but had a great career. I imagine Tyler will also grow a bit. Guilty of not watching any video yet. 

Benning has managed to get top 3 picks without ever having a top 3 pick:

Boeser* (tough draft year, so it's debatable)

Pettersson

Hughes

Way too soon to say Hughes is a top 3 pick in this draft. Dahlin and Svechnikov as it stands now are for sure ahead of Hughes. Then the next crop all have a very good chance to be the number 3 guy. Zadina looks like he has pretty elite talent, Detroit had two really big steals at their spots imo, Bouchard, Boqvist, and Dobson all have amazing potential. It's way too early for me to have Hughes in the top 3 group of this draft.

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

Gaunce has had his time.  He was here because he used to be  the only relatively young 1st round pick not named Horvat who was still a Canuck. The last 5 years have changed that to the point that Gaunce must be assessed simply on what he brings now. No longer potential but what he brings now. 

Which is not enough to keep a full time roster spot.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Gaunce has had his time.  He was here because he used to be  the only relatively young 1st round pick not named Horvat who was still a Canuck. The last 5 years have changed that to the point that Gaunce must be assessed simply on what he brings now. No longer potential but what he brings now. 

Which is not enough to keep a full time roster spot.

Which sucks because we have so much development time with him. I think Gaunce has improved his game every year but very slowly. If he can find a way to make the team again and keep a roster spot then I think there is hope for him yet .  

On 23.6.2018 at 7:33 PM, 'NucK™ said:

Why does this article state it would be their third or fourth-round pick?

The 45 player list would encompass all 217 players available..

The writer of this report expected the centre to be selected in the third or fourth round. That's exactly the reason why the report contained the third/fourth round.

The entire list encompass 217 players- that represents the whole cake.

Canucks scouting staff carved out a piece of 45 players. That's represents the players they wanted to take a closer look at.  From this 45 players list they made their selections at draft day finally. 

40 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

The writer of this report expected the centre to be selected in the third or fourth round. That's exactly the reason why the report contained the third/fourth round.

The entire list encompass 217 players- that represents the whole cake.

Canucks scouting staff carved out a piece of 45 players. That's represents the players they wanted to take a closer look at.  From this 45 players list they made their selections at draft day finally. 

But why did the writer expect it to be in the 3rd or 4th round? From what I read, they talk about the 45 player list and then at the end out of the blue say "if a centre is taken in the 3rd or 4th round..". I don't follow the logic..

16 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

Which sucks because we have so much development time with him. I think Gaunce has improved his game every year but very slowly. If he can find a way to make the team again and keep a roster spot then I think there is hope for him yet .  

I have liked the way Gaunce thinks the game and he has always had decent speed. He showed flashes last year of some offence. Always wanted a tad more physicality from him and again he howed some of that last year. I agree that he has to show in camp this fall or he likely gets bumped. He has history with Green who likely knows where he can progress too. 

11 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I have liked the way Gaunce thinks the game and he has always had decent speed. He showed flashes last year of some offence. Always wanted a tad more physicality from him and again he howed some of that last year. I agree that he has to show in camp this fall or he likely gets bumped. He has history with Green who likely knows where he can progress too. 

He is a big shutdown forward with good smarts and good wheels. And I really don't think that JB is going to go full-Oiler style with nothing but small, skilled offense-only forwards.