The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

3 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

I really don't see the problem with Russians going to Russia. It means they aren't good enough for the NHL. If Lind fails to make the NHL are we gonna stop drafting Canadians or players from the WHL? No, cause that'd be dumb. Tryamkin example is weak too, he left for family reasons. I don't blame a guy for putting his family first. Hockey is just a game and we take the game way too seriously. It's part of our charm since it makes the forum so lively but it also sucks cause we take these players for granted.

Making the blanket decision to swear off Russians cause they prefer to develop somewhere comfortable is dumb. Or they go back to Russia cause they flat out aren't good enough for the NHL or even leave for family reasons some things are more important than slapping a puck around in a foreign country. There are misses in all areas of the draft from all walks of life. It just so happens we notice the Russians cause when they fizzle out they leave NA. We didn't swear off Swedes after Rodin failed in the AHL then returned to Sweden. We shouldn't swear off Russians cause they do the same.

If Benning passes on Podkolzin purely because of him being Russian I'd want him fired tbh. It's a shortminded thing to do. There is too much elite talent with Podkolzin to pass on him at 10 because Tryamkin left to Russia because of his family. With that said, I really wouldn't know Benning's exact reason if he drafted someone else in place of Podkolzin at 10. I doubt Benning would pass on him though. If half of what is said about Podkolzin is true he's a Benning guy. Competes all over the ice, great IQ, very good skater.

As far as his play, I'd be all over it if he drops........but his comments about the draft and NHL haven't exactly instilled confidence that he will be a long term NHL player

12 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Better? Probably wrong word. Its upside! Size & high end skills with the puck, deception, passing & shooting. He's 5 inches and 20 lbs heavier than Krebs.  Potential to be a mis-match opponents may not be able to handle.  

Krebs is fast, but not dazzling & 5'11'. Physics on their own will not see him beat NHL defenders. So its all about his craft & compete. He sorta reminds me of a junior age Jared McCann, a bit more polished.

Boldy also has some upside. Handles the puck under pressure. Bug enough not to be pushed off. I am very curious where he will land.   

I would add

How much if Boldy's points were Hughes?

How much of Krebs points were due to piles and piles of times.  

1 minute ago, TGT68 said:

I would add

Its more about skills you can scout. Glass & Nolan Patrick also had big, bigger by memory, WHL #'s than Dach. 

Boldy makes plays flat out. With and without Hughes. Krebs puts up numbers without help.

They make plays. Dach beats guys hands down. And makes plays. Looks harder to guard.

8 minutes ago, TGT68 said:

I would add

When I evaluate prospects i primarily look at whether they can create scoring chances for their teammates and for themselves.  Out of the three I mentioned only Krebs does it consistently. Watch his highlights and you’ll see that his playmaking IQ is elite.

Edited by Setyoureyesontheprize

4 hours ago, TGokou said:

Jonah Gadjovich is also a player who was drafted as  as a D+1 and even though he had a ridiculous OHL season he hasn't been able to put it together in the AHL so far.

Gadj was in his first year of draft eligibility when we picked him. He was a late ‘98 picked in 2017. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Good thing we didn't pass on that guy Bure for being Russian. Such a short sighted reason to pass on a guy. But hey, to each their own. Hopefully management is a bit more open minded about who they take and why.

Bure was a 6th round pick. It's a lot easier to swallow a gamble like that with a 6th round pick than it is with a top 10 pick.

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Bure was a 6th round pick. It's a lot easier to swallow a gamble like that with a 6th round pick than it is with a top 10 pick.

True, true. Although that was cause nobody realized he could be drafted. I imagine he would have went sooner if that knowledge was more known. But I concede that point.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

I really don't see the problem with Russians going to Russia. It means they aren't good enough for the NHL. If Lind fails to make the NHL are we gonna stop drafting Canadians or players from the WHL? No, cause that'd be dumb. Tryamkin example is weak too, he left for family reasons. I don't blame a guy for putting his family first. Hockey is just a game and we take the game way too seriously. It's part of our charm since it makes the forum so lively but it also sucks cause we take these players for granted.

Making the blanket decision to swear off Russians cause they prefer to develop somewhere comfortable is dumb. Or they go back to Russia cause they flat out aren't good enough for the NHL or even leave for family reasons some things are more important than slapping a puck around in a foreign country. There are misses in all areas of the draft from all walks of life. It just so happens we notice the Russians cause when they fizzle out they leave NA. We didn't swear off Swedes after Rodin failed in the AHL then returned to Sweden. We shouldn't swear off Russians cause they do the same.

If Benning passes on Podkolzin purely because of him being Russian I'd want him fired tbh. It's a shortminded thing to do. There is too much elite talent with Podkolzin to pass on him at 10 because Tryamkin left to Russia because of his family. With that said, I really wouldn't know Benning's exact reason if he drafted someone else in place of Podkolzin at 10. I doubt Benning would pass on him though. If half of what is said about Podkolzin is true he's a Benning guy. Competes all over the ice, great IQ, very good skater.

Two pages ago MoneypuckOverlord  provided a very good summary of why the Canucks should be wary of drafting russians. Personally I want nothing to do with russians.

However, if JB (the actual NHL drafting expert) did decide to take Podkolzin at 10 then I would accept the pick and the prospect with open arms. I trust JB and his expertise and believe he would do his due diligence before picking a russian that high in the draft. It should be an exciting draft and I am considering taking the time off to go to Vancouver to be there (from Victoria).

26 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Two pages ago MoneypuckOverlord  provided a very good summary of why the Canucks should be wary of drafting russians. Personally I want nothing to do with russians.

However, if JB (the actual NHL drafting expert) did decide to take Podkolzin at 10 then I would accept the pick and the prospect with open arms. I trust JB and his expertise and believe he would do his due diligence before picking a russian that high in the draft. It should be an exciting draft and I am considering taking the time off to go to Vancouver to be there (from Victoria).

Cause he found some Russians that we drafted in the past that did not pan out? Lol. Okay, by that metric lets not draft Swedes cause Rodin and Cederholm busted. Forget Canadians, Shinkaruk  and Cassels were not great. Better avoid Americans too cause Schroeder and McNally weren't very good. 

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

Cause he found some Russians that we drafted in the past that did not pan out? Lol. Okay, by that metric lets not draft Swedes cause Rodin and Cederholm busted. Forget Canadians, Shinkaruk  and Cassels were not great. Better avoid Americans too cause Schroeder and McNally weren't very good. 

Are you seriously just trying to pick fights? Did you not read what I said? Have you not read that GMs in the real world, in the NHL, do feel there is the 'russian factor' when choosing who to draft?

Go google it.

Anyway, like I already said, thankfully the Canucks have a life long professional in charge of their drafting and I trust JB will make a pick based on his and his teams expertise.

But personally, I would stay away from russians based on the many examples of them not panning out. The percentage of russians bailing seems much higher than Canadians or Swedes but i would not expect you to understand statistics based on your post. Whatever  pal.

4 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Are you seriously just trying to pick fights? Did you not read what I said? Have you not read that GMs in the real world, in the NHL, do feel there is the 'russian factor' when choosing who to draft?

Go google it.

Anyway, like I already said, thankfully the Canucks have a life long professional in charge of their drafting and I trust JB will make a pick based on his and his teams expertise.

But personally, I would stay away from russians based on the many examples of them not panning out. The percentage of russians bailing seems much higher than Canadians or Swedes but i would not expect you to understand statistics based on your post. Whatever  pal.

Pick a fight? All I said was that we shouldn't avoid drafting a Russian purely because they are Russian. I don't give a s*** that the team drafted a Russian 10 years ago and they sucked. That's not a reason to swear off Russians. Cause the team at some pointed has drafted a player from every nationality that sucked. If your "statistics" is looking at players the team drafted in the past, that did not have Benning behind it so that craps all over you dumb statistics right there since any dumbass can cherry pick players that sucked, then by all means hate Russians. Tryamkin left not cause he wasn't good enough but because he has this thing called a family and surprise surprise they aren't from NA. 

14 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Pick a fight? All I said was that we shouldn't avoid drafting a Russian purely because they are Russian. I don't give a s*** that the team drafted a Russian 10 years ago and they sucked. That's not a reason to swear off Russians. Cause the team at some pointed has drafted a player from every nationality that sucked. If your "statistics" is looking at players the team drafted in the past, that did not have Benning behind it so that craps all over you dumb statistics right there since any dumbass can cherry pick players that sucked, then by all means hate Russians. Tryamkin left not cause he wasn't good enough but because he has this thing called a family and surprise surprise they aren't from NA. 

What I’m thinking is why make 925k per year for three years when you can make upwards of 2-3 times that much closer to home, family and overall familiarity. Also if you can’t make a permanent spot here, then what’s the point of staying? Look at someone that a lot of us, and I mean a lot, wanted: Valeri Nichushkin. Couldn’t make it so he left. He was a top ten pick and we made out like bandits selecting Bo over him.

The Russian factor isn’t one thing or another, it’s a variety of things that lead to one disastrous outcome. Money, family, homesickness, ability, etc are all factors, and that’s why GM’s are so weary with Russians. 

We’re all just hockey fans trying to have a discussion so let’s try and stay civil. 

17 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

If Podkolzin drops to 10 and we snap him up I’ll be far from disappointed.  

Sounds like a stud.

I hope that never happens or else it will be years and years of yay or nay Russian debates here on CDC. No thanks.

• Cheers 2

Everyone show some confidence in Judd / JB and the team.

fair to say if Podklozin is there at 10 whatever decision they make I will be confident with it.

they are doing a great job drafting now and I believe they will make the best choice possible for the club.

anyone here pulling for us to draft Podkolzin must just be going on rankings.

Because on anything we have had access to watch he has not looked that great let alone better then multiple kids ranked in the top 15. That’s just off an eye test.

his numbers aren’t that great and that’s statistical facts. Sure there are reasons for that, but he also hasn’t produced that well on the international stage playing against his peers. And by that well I mean to put himself in this other tier he has been put in all season by other scouts and analysts that share rankings online. 

And he comes with a stated KHL risk that he will not cross seas unless it’s for an NHL opportunity.

This is not like a blanket anti Russian drafting concern. He comes with multiple concerns. 

Concerns that players who will be available at 10 do not come with. Players that have high floors and high ceilings.

i think some people are not looking at this without bias and there are posts responding in extremes and stereotypes both ways.

take a step back and take a look at the players full body of work for the year, the risks that come with him and compare that to other kids available.

Boldy, Krebs, Newhook 

All three had strong seasons. 

All three performed well at the U18s

All three drive play and creates for themselves and their linemates

Boldy played on a stacked team, but was shuffled around and always produces. 

Krebs an unbelievable leader playing for a tire fire of JR squad and did his absolute best. 

Really shined at the U18s when e got to play with players of similar talent levels, finally!

Newhook doubted all year for his Canada Snub, playing in Second tier jr league. But he produced at a fantastic clip, is a leader, a fantastic skater and looked fantastic at the U18. Showing he is a special player and not to discount him for playing in a second tier jr league. Expect him to be a strong college player.

Bet all three will be NHL rookies in 2-3 Years.

IF Podkolzin is available and we select to take him, great. That means our scouts and team watched his games in Russia and have a much better read on him then we do. Hope they have the chance to interview him as well. That will be important.

• Upvote 4

41 minutes ago, Stamkos said:

What I’m thinking is why make 925k per year for three years when you can make upwards of 2-3 times that much closer to home, family and overall familiarity. Also if you can’t make a permanent spot here, then what’s the point of staying? Look at someone that a lot of us, and I mean a lot, wanted: Valeri Nichushkin. Couldn’t make it so he left. He was a top ten pick and we made out like bandits selecting Bo over him.

The Russian factor isn’t one thing or another, it’s a variety of things that lead to one disastrous outcome. Money, family, homesickness, ability, etc are all factors, and that’s why GM’s are so weary with Russians. 

We’re all just hockey fans trying to have a discussion so let’s try and stay civil. 

One more tasty variable that might be tossed in?..US $

For months I've heard economic analysts suggest the omnipotent US buck may finally discover the law of gravity. How interesting it would be to observe the supposed commitment of young stars(drafted into the most famous, competitive league), if the economic benefits were not so disproportionate with other options.

Maybe some young Russian skaters have less faith the system is sustainable, than their NA'n counterparts?

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

One more tasty variable that might be tossed in?..US $

For months I've heard economic analysts suggest the omnipotent US buck may finally discover the law of gravity. How interesting it would be to observe the supposed commitment of young stars(drafted into the most famous, competitive league), if the economic benefits were not so disproportionate with other options.

Maybe some young Russian skaters have less faith the system is sustainable, than their NA'n counterparts?

Omnipotent?

It was the smell of a different kind of green that Tryamkin did not like?  :P

• Haha 1

Podkolzin from only one decent tournament which scouts ranked him #3.

i don’t see a top 10 player now after all is said and done. He’ll probably end up in Montreal.

imo his stick handling looks super sloppy and he’s slow. I know his determination and drive is off the charts. 

I wouldn’t draft him at 10 there’s better options but I’m just a Canuck fan and not a pro scout.

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

What the &^@# is this.....I didn’t find “some” Russians that didn’t t pan out, literally all the Russian that we drafted in the last 20 years at some point “gave up” or quit on us or not even show up to a training camp.  

i am not saying a Absolutely no,to,them, a top 10 pick is quite high, if he actually drops to ten, it means other teams are not risking their high picks on him for that very reason.

58 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Everyone show some confidence in Judd / JB and the team.

fair to say if Podklozin is there at 10 whatever decision they make I will be confident with it.

they are doing a great job drafting now and I believe they will make the best choice possible for the club.

anyone here pulling for us to draft Podkolzin must just be going on rankings.

Because on anything we have had access to watch he has not looked that great let alone better then multiple kids ranked in the top 15. That’s just off an eye test.

his numbers aren’t that great and that’s statistical facts. Sure there are reasons for that, but he also hasn’t produced that well on the international stage playing against his peers. And by that well I mean to put himself in this other tier he has been put in all season by other scouts and analysts that share rankings online. 

And he comes with a stated KHL risk that he will not cross seas unless it’s for an NHL opportunity.

This is not like a blanket anti Russian drafting concern. He comes with multiple concerns. 

Concerns that players who will be available at 10 do not come with. Players that have high floors and high ceilings.

i think some people are not looking at this without bias and there are posts responding in extremes and stereotypes both ways.

take a step back and take a look at the players full body of work for the year, the risks that come with him and compare that to other kids available.

Boldy, Krebs, Newhook 

All three had strong seasons. 

All three performed well at the U18s

All three drive play and creates for themselves and their linemates

Boldy played on a stacked team, but was shuffled around and always produces. 

Krebs an unbelievable leader playing for a tire fire of JR squad and did his absolute best. 

Really shined at the U18s when e got to play with players of similar talent levels, finally!

Newhook doubted all year for his Canada Snub, playing in Second tier jr league. But he produced at a fantastic clip, is a leader, a fantastic skater and looked fantastic at the U18. Showing he is a special player and not to discount him for playing in a second tier jr league. Expect him to be a strong college player.

Bet all three will be NHL rookies in 2-3 Years.

IF Podkolzin is available and we select to take him, great. That means our scouts and team watched his games in Russia and have a much better read on him then we do. Hope they have the chance to interview him as well. That will be important.

I would like Jim to land a second pick. How about both Krebs and Newhook.

That is how to rebuild and is what this club needs. 

Sorry, just dreaming. 

• Haha 1