The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

32 minutes ago, Zoolander said:

Besides Dach's first 20 games though he hasn't shown much offensive flair IMO

Would much rather draft a guy like Turcotte

I see the latter turning into a guy like Domi while Dach reminds me of Rasmussen.

Maybe I'm wrong tho 

He had a dry spell in the middle of the season where the production wasn't there. After that he picked up again & has been good (PPG) in the playoffs.

Think he was dealing with some injuries, missed a couple games in January (lower body) & then again in February (upper body).

He's a bit raw but has more upside than Turcotte. I'd take Dach. Don't see the Rasmussen comp myself. Dach has way better hands, and overall offensive skill/IQ. Dach reminds me more of Spezza. Don't mind the Domi comp for Turcotte, I'd add that he has a better 200ft game than Domi IMO. Not sure Domi was a natural center like Turcotte. 

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

I figure if the Canucks don't get a lotto pick, the these guys will be off the table by our turn:

Hughes

Kakko

Podkolzin

Turcotte

Byram

Dach

probably Cozens

possibly Zegras

Still, there are good players that could be available:

Krebs

Boldy

Newhook

Caufield

Soderstrom

Kaliyev

Go big or go home Caufield lol

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Demko's not close to Schneider when we traded him. Not even close.

Schneider was considered a star goalie & had already played (albeit a lockout shortened) season as a starter. Schneider was proven.

If you look closer you will see that I was not suggesting we move Demko.

Watching Caufield video, he's so fast and shifty, crafty. He seems to be able to do a lot out there. From what I saw though, he had quite a bit of space and it never got really physical. He isn't afraid to make or take a hit, but the NHL is a different beast. It's faster, there's a lot less time and space, the players are bigger, stronger, better. Can his game translate to the NHL? His head is also at around the same height as most NHL players' shoulders, and I wonder if concussions will affect him in later years. He's like a little waterbug out there, but damn he could be crushed in the NHL.   

Hope we grab Foote with our 2nd round pick if he is available. 

Caulfied would be a good pick if he was available ala Chicago taking Debrincat, to risky of a pick due to his size imo, but hey nothing would shock me I guess nowadays.

Have they still not released tickets for the draft, maybe JB will pull off a big trade to get Hughes 2.0? Does he have the balls to give up what would be needed tho? Wont be cheap to get #1 overall especially if we are picky 8-10th

I think we should select wherever the lotto results leave us, still not in a position to give up big assets to move up in the draft

• Upvote 1

Been wondering how Krebs, being ranked so high, was a -50 this past season. The whole team were minus players though. The two guys (#2 & 3) behind him in scoring were a -47 and a -52. Then I looked at Kootenay's goaltending:

Makaj:  0.864 sv%  4.41 gaa

McGovern:  0.868 sv%  4.77 gaa

Meger:  0.864 sv%  4.46 gaa

yikes that's bad

I have been watching some Krebs video and, although I couldn't find any D-game video from him, he looks to be a gifted offensive player. His vision and passing are elite. He creates a lot of plays, has a great shot. Good skater. I think he would look great on Horvat's wing.  

Im looking at Boldy or Caufield for round 1. Either or could slot into our top six in the future.

Round 2. Kokkonen or Thomson but Honka or korczak if they both gone. Kokkonen would be ideal but im thinking he will rise. Thomson also likely be gone late first or early second. Strengthening our rhd depth is important but if kokkonen is avail we gotta take him.

Round 3. Liking Fagemo if he's there, or beaucage.

Round 4. I'd like to swing for the fences and go for Alex Campbell here, not much of a reach at round 4. Very small, committed to Clarkson next year.

This draft has some solid depth. We can really solidify our prospect depth here. Exciting times.

The guys I'd be looking at for 9th, 10th would be (a) Karlsson Jr., (b) Tkachuk-lite, (c) decision-meh Dahlin, or (d) Bold decision.

These are my nicknames for Soderstrom, Zegras, Broberg, and Boldy. Can't go wrong with any of these guys, I love them all.

HOWEVER... ideally, the Canucks win a top 3 spot and get their guy in Hughes, Kakko, or Byram. Ideally.

Will it happen?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, appleboy said:

If you look closer you will see that I was not suggesting we move Demko.

I know, I'm just saying Demko doesn't have close to the value Schneider did. Markstrom doesn't have that value either. 

That Schneider trade was the best return a goalie has gotten in awhile, one of the best since like... Luongo for Bertuzzi.

Only others I can think of would be Andersen for late 1st + 2nd, and Miller + Ott for Stewart + Halak + 1st. Both Andersen & Miller were also proven. 

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I know, I'm just saying Demko doesn't have close to the value Schneider did. Markstrom doesn't have that value either. 

That Schneider trade was the best return a goalie has gotten in awhile, one of the best since like... Luongo for Bertuzzi.

Only others I can think of would be Andersen for late 1st + 2nd, and Miller + Ott for Stewart + Halak + 1st. Both Andersen & Miller were also proven. 

It takes goalies a few years to reach their peak. I still see Demko as a potential number one. Marky's value may never be higher.  Just saying but not promoting it. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, appleboy said:

It takes goalies a few years to reach their peak. I still see Demko as a potential number one. Marky's value may never be higher.  Just saying but not promoting it. 

I agree. I still like Demko alot but he hasn't played much this year, needs a full season as the #2 guy. Not sure I'd be willing to ship off Markstrom right now. If he has another good season his value won't go down.

I'd wait a bit longer then decide. Use the time we have. 

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I agree. I still like Demko alot but he hasn't played much this year, needs a full season as the #2 guy. Not sure I'd be willing to ship off Markstrom right now. If he has another good season his value won't go down.

I'd wait a bit longer then decide. Use the time we have. 

I just don't want to see assets waisted and we might lose a goalie for the expansion. I think Denko is the future. Marky is thirty years old.

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Watching Caufield video, he's so fast and shifty, crafty. He seems to be able to do a lot out there. From what I saw though, he had quite a bit of space and it never got really physical. He isn't afraid to make or take a hit, but the NHL is a different beast. It's faster, there's a lot less time and space, the players are bigger, stronger, better. Can his game translate to the NHL? His head is also at around the same height as most NHL players' shoulders, and I wonder if concussions will affect him in later years. He's like a little waterbug out there, but damn he could be crushed in the NHL.   

Atkinson, Arvidsson, Zuccarello, Gallagher, Konencny, DeBrincat, not to mention Gaudreau, or in the old days Theo Fleury.

^^ Among whom, only Gaudreau and DeBrincat might not be considered battlers. Who win pucks routinely on the boards, in front of the net.

Tough lil buggers!

Who use their low centre of gravity, agility & puck skill to score.

I'm not fussed by the size.

His goal scoring makes me horny excited!

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

The guys I'd be looking at for 9th, 10th would be (a) Karlsson Jr., (b) Tkachuk-lite, (c) decision-meh Dahlin, or (d) Bold decision.

These are my nicknames for Soderstrom, Zegras, Broberg, and Boldy. Can't go wrong with any of these guys, I love them all.

HOWEVER... ideally, the Canucks win a top 3 spot and get their guy in Hughes, Kakko, or Byram. Ideally.

Will it happen?

it will happen if all Canuck fans believe in it.  Right now too many are pessimistic and think we will down 3 spots.  

6 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I don't know which team is going to pay a big return for Demko when he's barely played this year & isn't proven at the NHL level.

I'd imagine you might get a 2nd round pick if a team really likes him. 

I agree, this is very likely.... 

4 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Markstrom might be close probably not top 10. But for the right team he might be worth a pick in the 20's. I would certainly trade Gaunce+Schroeder+Sinkaruk+Jensen+Patrick White+ Nathan Smith for Markstrom let alone just one of them. 

• Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Markstrom might be close probably not top 10. But for the right team he might be worth a pick in the 20's. I would certainly trade Gaunce+Schroeder+Sinkaruk+Jensen+Patrick White+ Nathan Smith for Markstrom let alone just one of them. 

The most current 20’s pick with our new scouting staff is Brock Boeser. Would you do the trade for a prospect like that? There’s lots of guys that turn up in the 20’s and with our current scouting regime I’d do a trade if you can get a pick in that range.

• Upvote 1