The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

Rangers draft list:

1st - Kakko

2nd - Byram

3rd - Hughes

Imagine if New Jersey takes Kakko and the rangers take their 2nd BPA in Byram leaving Hughes to Chicago..

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/ed-willes-the-canucks-have-improved-but-not-enough-compared-with-other-contenders/amp#click=https://t.co/jpkTi7csIA

Edited by l King l 94 l
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Do you think Benning will still be employed this time next year if they miss the playoffs this year? After this draft, this team will have had 6 top 10 picks in the last 7 drafts, the core should be in place. Time to start competing. 

Core Players:

Hughes

Juolevi 

Horvat

Pettersson

Boeser

Virtanen

Demko

2019 10th Overall

We need some not 1st round picks to pan out as top 6 forwards or top 4 Dmen, possibly:

Woo

Gaudette  

Lind

Madden

This is a problem the Canucks are facing.  Are they at the point where Benning feels pressure to make moves to save his job or does he feel secure enough to do what is right for the team long term?

But is it really a case of either or?  I have been thinking that since Horvat is 24 already, would it be harmful to add a player the age of Panarin 27 for example.  Or is it better to just continue drafting and developing?  I'm not so sure the former would be particularly harmful if they're not sacrificing assets.  The knock on this I think is that if the player has a massive cap hit it could be a problem as the core players are coming off their ELC's.  There has been talk of adding a 2nd tier player like Jason Zucker (27 $5.5M) but we've been burned before picking up a perennial 20 goal scorer :unsure:.  Lots of questions.

3 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Do you think Benning will still be employed this time next year if they miss the playoffs this year? After this draft, this team will have had 6 top 10 picks in the last 7 drafts, the core should be in place. Time to start competing. 

Core Players:

Hughes

Juolevi 

Horvat

Pettersson

Boeser

Virtanen

Demko

2019 10th Overall

We need some not 1st round picks to pan out as top 6 forwards or top 4 Dmen, possibly:

Woo

Gaudette  

Lind

Madden

Dont forget Gadjovich his skating is comming along it's the long road for him but I think he will get there. 

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

This is a problem the Canucks are facing.  Are they at the point where Benning feels pressure to make moves to save his job or does he feel secure enough to do what is right for the team long term?

But is it really a case of either or?  I have been thinking that since Horvat is 24 already, would it be harmful to add a player the age of Panarin 27 for example.  Or is it better to just continue drafting and developing?  I'm not so sure the former would be particularly harmful if they're not sacrificing assets.  The knock on this I think is that if the player has a massive cap hit it could be a problem as the core players are coming off their ELC's.  There has been talk of adding a 2nd tier player like Jason Zucker (27 $5.5M) but we've been burned before picking up a perennial 20 goal scorer :unsure:.  Lots of questions.

Don't see us shopping on Rodeo drive this summer (Karlsson/Panarin). But I also don't see us sifting through the bargain bin either. We'll likely be in the second tier, and that's fine IMO, likely picking up a couple solid pieces.

Keep in mind, we've likely got a few more years of mid teens 1sts on top of this year's 10th (and seconds, thirds etc). And a few more years of development for the likes of Lind, Woo, Madden etc as well before we're expecting to be a legit 'contender'.

People seem to keep trying to compare today's team to current contenders and lamenting where fall short. We're not going to stay stationary, the key is to continue to progress.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Don't see us shopping on Rodeo drive this summer (Karlsson/Panarin). But I also don't see us sifting through the bargain bin either. We'll likely be in the second tier, and that's fine IMO, likely picking up a couple solid pieces.

Keep in mind, we've likely got a few more years of mid teens 1sts on top of this year's 10th (and seconds, thirds etc). And a few more years of development for the likes of Lind, Woo, Madden etc as well before we're expecting to be a legit 'contender'.

People seem to keep trying to compare today's team to current contenders and lamenting where fall short. We're not going to stay stationary, the key is to continue to progress.

I successfully picked Roussel as a signing last year. I need to go through the free agency list for this year. :)

i would say Silverberg but he's already signed lol. I can see us adding a 4-5m dollar top 6 forward if they see a bargain. A Tomas Vanek like pick-up would be ideal but we lucked out on that.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Nyquist and Johansson would be nice adds. I can see them maybe considering Hayes but with Sutter and Gaudette I hope not.

Nyquist and Johansson are both fast and highly skilled wingers. Either or could shift up and down in our top 6. Nyquist I can see digging the idea of playing with Petey. 

Nyquist and Jamie McGinn to battle Schaller for that bottom 6 role. 

Nyquist would be my main add imo.  On D stralman would be fantastic but I can see him going elsewhere or possibly at even taking a pay cut to stay in TBL.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Agent, what do you think of the Canucks looking to acquire one of, Dzingel, Connolly or Ferland as a complimentary player to play on the wing with Petey and Boes? They may not be viewed as top six material but may bring a added level of grit to that line while still having the ability to contribute as well.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, hammertime said:

Dont forget Gadjovich his skating is comming along it's the long road for him but I think he will get there. 

I think he'll be a good one for us, especially in the playoffs.  The kid oozes character and is definitely willing to put the necessary work in.  Him and Woo are probably my favourite prospects right now.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

Nyquist and Johansson would be nice adds. I can see them maybe considering Hayes but with Sutter and Gaudette I hope not.

Nyquist and Johansson are both fast and highly skilled wingers. Either or could shift up and down in our top 6. Nyquist I can see digging the idea of playing with Petey. 

Nyquist and Jamie McGinn to battle Schaller for that bottom 6 role. 

Nyquist would be my main add imo.  On D stralman would be fantastic but I can see him going elsewhere or possibly at even taking a pay cut to stay in TBL.

I would be shocked if we aren't interested in either of those Swedes. McGinn, I think we have in Roussel already but not against signing him if it is a cheap short term deal. We need to trade or not qualify some F if we truly do want to see some change with this roster. Also, won't shed a tear if we decide to move on from Edler...doubt that happens though. Would have been more likely if OJ would have stayed healthy and been given some NHL games this past season

51 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Agent, what do you think of the Canucks looking to acquire one of, Dzingel, Connolly or Ferland as a complimentary player to play on the wing with Petey and Boes? They may not be viewed as top six material but may bring a added level of grit to that line while still having the ability to contribute as well.

Dzingel, Nyquist, Lee, Nelson, Connolly, Ferland etc, etc... there's plenty of options and I think that's likely the market where we're headed. And being that it's a pretty flush market with lots of options, hopefully means it won't be a massive chunk in cap or term. Then when whoever we draft at 10 this year is ready, we move on from Baer and eventually this UFA can fill that 2nd line role when we're closer to a contender (and eventually be replaced as well, hopefully with a prospect).

• Upvote 2

Love reading all you guys getting excited about the draft......

It sure will be an interesting one, seeing what Benning does and all

Just remember, the results will be 2 or 3 years down the road, unless another miracle happens

Fingers crossed, everybody! Fingers crossed!

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Getting a 3C is not worth losing value on a prime asset like an 8th OA pick. The only way we land it is trading up (involving 10th OA) or a deal where we take back Lucic. 

I have posted it earlier: There is an opportunity out there to "get something done" with the Edmonton Oilers. I found this message two or three months ago and thought it might present an opportunity to take on a bad contract:

Jimmy Murphy: Heard that sometime between early January and when Ryan Donato was traded last week, the Boston Bruins and Edmonton Oilers were talking Jesse Puljujarvi.

The Oilers insistent that Milan Lucic was included in the deal.

I am really curious what Edmontons GM would offer to a team taking Lucic off their hands. 

Basically the Oilers are willing to sacrifice a 3rd overall pick in Puljujärvi to get rid of Lucic's contract. I assume that the Bruins had not the cap space to take on such a contract. Really interesting that Lucic implicitly agreed to waive his NMC/NTC - otherwise the Oilers management could not have included Lucic.

First, the Oilers have to hire a new GM. That's the starting point. There are still interviews with some candidates Mc Crimmon, Hunter.... . Once they have found one things can get started....

Edited by Wolfgang Durst
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

I have posted it earlier: There is an opportunity out there to "get something done" with the Edmonton Oilers. I found this message two or three months ago and thought it might present an opportunity to take on a bad contract:

Jimmy Murphy: Heard that sometime between early January and when Ryan Donato was traded last week, the Boston Bruins and Edmonton Oilers were talking Jesse Puljujarvi.

The Oilers insistent that Milan Lucic was included in the deal.

I am really curious what Edmontons GM would offer to a team taking Lucic off their hands. 

Basically the Oilers are willing to sacrifice a 3rd overall pick in Puljujärvi to get rid of Lucic's contract. I assume that the Bruins had not the cap space to take on such a contract. Really interesting that Lucic implicitly agreed to waive his NMC/NTC - otherwise the Oilers management could not have included Lucic.

First, the Oilers have to hire a new GM. That's the starting point. There are still interviews with some candidates Mc Crimmon, Hunter.... . Once they have found one things can get started....

Definitely interested in buying low on Puljujarvi but not at the expense of Lucic's contract.  I truly feel there is a fit for both teams on a salary retained Sutter (Truly what they need) + mid pick (4th?) for Puljujarvi.  If we did that we essentially get a high pick winger nearly ready to contribute and could then draft a D like Broberg.

14 hours ago, hammertime said:

Was there a report talking about his skating improving.  To be that will be his limiting factor, but if he can get that going he has the potential for a bottom 6 role.  Has the grit and character, but needs to be able to catch them to battle.  He was one of my favorite picks, but I just want to see him boost that element to succeed.