The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tim Schaller | #59 | C

-SN-

12 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Why is it ridiculous?  Those players I listed are not exactly renowned for their scoring nor their amazing defense. I believe that every player needs to step up and contribute in some meaningful way and if they aren't going to be at least average hockey players they gotta do *something* to stay in the lineup.

I do agree that with a full lineup we are a harder team to play against - though I would argue we don't have that much more pushback in the event of other teams taking liberties.

Gudbranson, now healthy, has been one of our (if not arguably our best) D this year and not under particularly easy circumstances. It's ridiculous.

Schaller was signed as a 4th line W'er and is certainly better than a 'below average' level of that type of player. It's not like he was signed to play top 6. And again, hasn't exactly been playing under ideal conditions.

We arguably have more 'push back' (healthy) than a good 2/3rds of the league.

Fights per year with link to supporting numbers and interactive chart. 

Seems the league is actually going back in time.  

http://dropyourgloves.com/Fights/FightsPerGameChart.aspx 

Based on regular season data. Hover the cursor over the Marker-CrossYellow.gif markers to view fights/game for each year.

FightsPerGame-1.gif

Edited by Borvat

54 minutes ago, aGENT said:

The bolded statement is ridiculous.

Maybe Archie, but  naming Guddy and Schall as 'below average' is simply Klouless.

54 minutes ago, aGENT said:

As for the last sentence, I don't disagree. And IMO (particularly when we're healthy, with a full compliment of healthy Sutter, Beagle, Roussel and Edler) we're a very 'hard to play against' team. IMO, that's the new NHL 'toughness'.

How many games have we actually played this season with all of those guys skating?

Agreed.  Hockey fights have dropped from 803 in the 2001-02 season to 280 in 2017-2018  and is expected (pro-rated) to drop to 223 this season.

I don't get why some fans were expecting Schaller to be a fighter, as he has only had 3 in the NHL and 5 in the AHL since 2013. He's a hard working 4th line grinder, that can play solid defence, finishes his hits and can score a few goals.  That's his role and he does it well.

I remember fans always screaming when a fight broke out after a clean hit.  Nowadays it seems people think there should be a fight anytime a player gets bumped.

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Gudbranson, now healthy, has been one of our (if not arguably our best) D this year and not under particularly easy circumstances. It's ridiculous.

Schaller was signed as a 4th line W'er and is certainly better than a 'below average' level of that type of player. It's not like he was signed to play top 6. And again, hasn't exactly been playing under ideal conditions.

We arguably have more 'push back' (healthy) than a good 2/3rds of the league.

Gudbranson HAS been playing well.  With a small sample size, and arguably largely supported by the resurgence of Hutton.  Typically, he's a 5/6th defenseman at best.  Besides that, he does little to contribute to pushback like he could if he wanted to.

Schaller was indeed signed as a 4th line player, but I feel he should be contributing more.  I think he started out fairly strong but has become little more than a plug as far as I'm concerned.  Yes - agreed - he isn't playing in ideal circumstances with Beagle out but I still expect each of our players to play a role.  If he can't find a way to score, contribute in other ways like agitating or making life difficult for the other team.  He's been ok defensively, but nothing that makes anyone take notice as far as I've seen.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Gudbranson HAS been playing well.  With a small sample size, and arguably largely supported by the resurgence of Hutton.  Typically, he's a 5/6th defenseman at best.  Besides that, he does little to contribute to pushback like he could if he wanted to.

Schaller was indeed signed as a 4th line player, but I feel he should be contributing more.  I think he started out fairly strong but has become little more than a plug as far as I'm concerned.  Yes - agreed - he isn't playing in ideal circumstances with Beagle out but I still expect each of our players to play a role.  If he can't find a way to score, contribute in other ways like agitating or making life difficult for the other team.  He's been ok defensively, but nothing that makes anyone take notice as far as I've seen.

:blink:

• Wat 1

30 minutes ago, kloubek said:

A healthy Gudbranson provides "pushback" by just being on the ice and on the bench.  He is respected by other tough guys just ask Hamonic.  I think teams have been taking less liberties with Canucks players this year.   There are reasons: Gudbranson, Roussel, Horvat :), Archibald, Beagle, Schaller etc.  Its called mutual deterrent and team toughness.  Teams understand it can get ugly if they take liberties. 

Fighting is way down in the league and only required (in my opinion) when there is a reason.  The only two times I have seen a reason to "pushback" were the Pettersson incident and the cross check to Brock by Calvert.  Other than that I have been okay with team toughness.

Also, I'm not so sure the resurgence of Hutton isn't partly due to the presence of a healthy Gudbranson for a partner.

Edited by Borvat
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

Fwiw DeBoer admitted that he sent Goodrow for the opening face-off to send  Kadri a message (Goodrow got a roughing minor as Kadri refused to engage).  It was in answer to  last January where Kadri fought Thornton - the one where he pulled part of his beard out.   

DeBoer admitted that he sent Goodrow after Kadri for payback. He dismissed the suggestion that it worked in the Maple Leafs favor. 

“This league’s always been about guys holding each other accountable for guys when they cross the line,” the Sharks coach said. “There’s no doubt there was a line crossed last year. It got addressed and that was the end of it.”

Edited by mll

22 hours ago, Borvat said:

A healthy Gudbranson provides "pushback" by just being on the ice and on the bench.  He is respected by other tough guys just ask Hamonic.  I think teams have been taking less liberties with Canucks players this year.   There are reasons: Gudbranson, Roussel, Horvat :), Archibald, Beagle, Schaller etc.  Its called mutual deterrent and team toughness.  Teams understand it can get ugly if they take liberties. 

Fighting is way down in the league and only required (in my opinion) when there is a reason.  The only two times I have seen a reason to "pushback" were the Pettersson incident and the cross check to Brock by Calvert.  Other than that I have been okay with team toughness.

Also, I'm not so sure the resurgence of Hutton isn't partly due to the presence of a healthy Gudbranson for a partner.

the last statement is correct if reversed. Hutton does a lot more of the heavy lifting on that pairing. Especially against a speedy forecheck. todays game will show that with guddy getting turned around alot. Habs are fast on the forecheck. Thats not to disagree with how the pairing has looked together this year as a whole. a very capable pairing ,feeding off each other well. Stecher and del zotto line needs work.

7 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

Currently more exciting than anything Schaller's done on the ice. 

Wonder when/if he'll wake up. 

No doubt.  What pisses me off is he should be one of the guys to step up and go after anyone who pushes EP40 around but he hasn't done squat in the physicality department. 

Unlike Roussel he's been very unremarkable. Might play a positionally sound and heavy game, but I just don't see how he makes a difference. He should also have something to prove this year, but maybe he's a fringe player on the 4th line and it's as simple as that. He's ok on the 4th line but by no means elite. Honestly hope we can get rid of him at the TDL.

How many threads does this "I was picked on as a kid (or am still a kid) and so I want my team to beat people up for any random reason whatsoever"?

Hardly a day goes by on CDC without some cringe worthy insecurity whining about "toughness".    

Note - NHL players are tough.  Canucks are sufficiently "tough".   No one in their room thinks of the team as "not tough" nor would they be at that level and feel that way.   

This is one topic that simply continues to baffle me why it goes on-and-on-and-on....and permeates so many threads.    

Oh, and Virtanen is a bust and should have drafted Ehlers (might as well include that here too as that is how random it seems when the "toughness" issue shows up in all nature of threads).