The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tim Schaller | #59 | C

-SN-

19 minutes ago, krutovsdonut said:

which brings up leivo.  a lot of toronto fans adore him and think he has upside...  

I doubt that the Toronto fans had much of a chance to form an opinion on him from what I have been able to find on him. He was a healthy scratch as many or more times than he actually played. Saw a post on rotowire that he was a healthy scratch 66 times. Seems Toronto has a habit of doing this to players, call it the Frank Corrado treatment, as that is pretty much what they did to him as well.

I am hoping he comes here really motivated and can help the team going forward.

3 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I doubt that the Toronto fans had much of a chance to form an opinion on him from what I have been able to find on him. He was a healthy scratch as many or more times than he actually played. Saw a post on rotowire that he was a healthy scratch 66 times. Seems Toronto has a habit of doing this to players, call it the Frank Corrado treatment, as that is pretty much what they did to him as well.

I am hoping he comes here really motivated and can help the team going forward.

i share your hope.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

I have yet to be impressed by TS in any game yet. So at least he is consistent.

An energy player that doesn't bring any energy.  I don't care about the scoring(or lack thereof) but at least throw a check or stick up for the kids once and a while.  He started the year as a scratch then got scratch at the 1/4 mark on a depleted roster, not good.

• Cheers 1

Just finished watching the game, tape delayed and there was lots of things to like, but Schaller wasn't one of them.  I know it's been said before, but over a third of the way through the season and at the age of 28, this is it folks.  

It's obvious JB again bought high, thinking last year was the start of him maybe being a bit of a late bloomer and a trend, but it is obvious now it was a temporary aberration.  He is an ok 4th liner with no offensive upside, that doesn't play the heavier tougher game he was touted for, and is not an improvement on players we already have.  JB gambled and got two of the three free agent signings right.

He is taking away the opportunity from other players we have in the system for no benefit to us.  He will be sitting a lot for the rest of the year once Gaudette returns. 

Not even a placeholder.

25 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

How is he taking opportunity away if a young player takes his spot?

It's political.  JB just signed him.  Looks bad on him if he isn't played, so tie goes to the new signee.  So if there is a younger player in the system, that is 'close', not necessarily better, he wins, especially this early in the season.

Take Gaunce for example.  They are close, with imho Gaunce getting the + because he still has some upside at his age.  But it would not look good on JB to be sitting him and playing Gaunce.  Plus, if Gaunce didn't show anything better than he has, it would be a wash, and a wash goes to the more experienced newly signed guy, right?

And there are others, and you know that Wink.  Just a poor signing as it turns out, that does NOT make us a better team.  He is not a difference maker and if you are signing a FA, they should be a difference maker, or why sign them?

51 minutes ago, Stormriders said:

Just finished watching the game, tape delayed and there was lots of things to like, but Schaller wasn't one of them.  I know it's been said before, but over a third of the way through the season and at the age of 28, this is it folks.  

It's obvious JB again bought high, thinking last year was the start of him maybe being a bit of a late bloomer and a trend, but it is obvious now it was a temporary aberration.  He is an ok 4th liner with no offensive upside, that doesn't play the heavier tougher game he was touted for, and is not an improvement on players we already have.  JB gambled and got two of the three free agent signings right.

He is taking away the opportunity from other players we have in the system for no benefit to us.  He will be sitting a lot for the rest of the year once Gaudette returns. 

Not even a placeholder.

I too, said this as well. Does Benning have the will to waive him?

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Stormriders said:

It's political.  JB just signed him.  Looks bad on him if he isn't played, so tie goes to the new signee.  So if there is a younger player in the system, that is 'close', not necessarily better, he wins, especially this early in the season.

Take Gaunce for example.  They are close, with imho Gaunce getting the + because he still has some upside at his age.  But it would not look good on JB to be sitting him and playing Gaunce.  Plus, if Gaunce didn't show anything better than he has, it would be a wash, and a wash goes to the more experienced newly signed guy, right?

And there are others, and you know that Wink.  Just a poor signing as it turns out, that does NOT make us a better team.  He is not a difference maker and if you are signing a FA, they should be a difference maker, or why sign them?

Minor issue with a 4th liner signed for 2 years. The other two signings are AWESOME...Beagle & Roussel. 

Like I said....minor issue. Certainly nothing to whine and harp about imo.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I dunno, maybe ask this guy:

All this talk about Benning catering to vets that he's signed but yet they willingly avoid Gagne while complaining about it. Gotta love all that cherry picked information. Benning has clearly stated that if young players perform better than the vets then he will make room for them. There is a high possibility once and or IF our team gets fully healthy that Benning would waive Schaller. As he's done so with Gagne, who by the way is whining again in TO. The guy just seems like a baby and can't come to grips with the fact he hasn't played well other than the few games he got after getting called up. I remember an interview with him last year where I really got a bad feel about him character wise, he seemed like a total ass.

Then you have Tavares in TO pumping Gagne up and saying to the media that he doen't know what is going on in Vancouver but Gagne should be in the NHL. Shut up man and focus on your team! 

Edited by Attila Umbrus
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Stormriders said:

But that's not what you said:

12 hours ago, Stormriders said:

According to you, Schaller WON'T be played, in favour of a younger player.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Attila Umbrus said:

All this talk about Benning catering to vets that he's signed but yet they willingly avoid Gagne while complaining about it. Gotta love all that cherry picked information. Benning has clearly stated that if young players perform better than the vets then he will make room for them. There is a high possibility once and or IF our team gets fully healthy that Benning would waive Schaller. As he's done so with Gagne, who by the way is whining again in TO. The guy just seems like a baby and can't come to grips with the fact he hasn't played well other than the few games he got after getting called up. I remember an interview with him last year where I really got a bad feel about him character wise, he seemed like a total ass.

Then you have Tavares in TO pumping Gagne up and saying to the media that he doen't know what is going on in Vancouver but Gagne should be in the NHL. Shut up man and focus on your team! 

Yup. And even then, I could easily see him sitting in the press box as 13th F (where you don't want a kid wasting away anyway).

• Upvote 1

Just now, Attila Umbrus said:

JT's just trying to help Doomis out, grease the skids in bringing his friend onboard.  He's only 5 years younger than his boss, after all.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yup. And even then, I could easily see him sitting in the press box as 13th F (where you don't want a kid wasting away anyway).

Agreed, and for all my Archie love over the summer I will say i'd rather Schaller on the team as a 13F than Archie. Was really rooting for him to stay with the big club but he just did not earn it at all, very dissapointing. But on the other hand now I get to see him wreck guys on AHL live now, so not all is lost!

23 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

JT's just trying to help Doomis out, grease the skids in bringing his friend onboard.  He's only 5 years younger than his boss, after all.

HAHA, you may be onto something there. In that case JT keep whining about your buddy gagme to the TO media!! Sorry I even complained about it lol.

13 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Wonder what happens to him when baertschi gets back?

Probably him and Goldobin splitting time in the press box. Sutter comes back I'm guessing AG goes down (though it also smells like a TDL deal or two has to be brewing...).

• Upvote 1