The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tim Schaller | #59 | C

-SN-

When he got moved up the lineup to play more minutes, his role shifted from being an energy line forward to being a shutdown checker.

He thrived in Boston playing on the fourth line with Sean Kuraly and Noah Accari, they played a high intensity game while laying down the body. That line averaged around 12-13 mins a game, https://boston.cbslocal.com/2018/06/08/bruins-tim-schaller/ which allowed for short but extremely energizing shifts.

Last 5 games he has been back to around where he should be...averaging 10 mins a game, but has not had a hit in 3 games.  I think the extra minutes playing with Bo north of 15 mins a game has taken himself out of his own element.

Needs to get physically involved more.  No better way to do that than play some California teams.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

How many threads does this "I was picked on as a kid (or am still a kid) and so I want my team to beat people up for any random reason whatsoever"?

Hardly a day goes by on CDC without some cringe worthy insecurity whining about "toughness".    

Note - NHL players are tough.  Canucks are sufficiently "tough".   No one in their room thinks of the team as "not tough" nor would they be at that level and feel that way.   

This is one topic that simply continues to baffle me why it goes on-and-on-and-on....and permeates so many threads.    

Oh, and Virtanen is a bust and should have drafted Ehlers (might as well include that here too as that is how random it seems when the "toughness" issue shows up in all nature of threads).

Wtf are you rambling about? 

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

When he got moved up the lineup to play more minutes, his role shifted from being an energy line forward to being a shutdown checker.

He thrived in Boston playing on the fourth line with Sean Kuraly and Noah Accari, they played a high intensity game while laying down the body. That line averaged around 12-13 mins a game, https://boston.cbslocal.com/2018/06/08/bruins-tim-schaller/ which allowed for short but extremely energizing shifts.

Last 5 games he has been back to around where he should be...averaging 10 mins a game, but has not had a hit in 3 games.  I think the extra minutes playing with Bo north of 15 mins a game has taken himself out of his own element.

Needs to get physically involved more.  No better way to do that than play some California teams.

Thank you for the contextually rich, non herpa-derp post. 

On 11/21/2018 at 10:24 AM, Where'd Luongo? said:

Schaller 

21GP - 3 Points (0g, 3a)

Gaunce 

3GP - 3 Points (1g, 2a)

As advertised?

Does anyone know who Schaller's linemates were last season?

You could probably find out on google.

Do you happen to have access to a computer or electronic device?  :canucks:

• Haha 1

On 11/21/2018 at 10:24 AM, Where'd Luongo? said:

Schaller 

21GP - 3 Points (0g, 3a)

Gaunce 

3GP - 3 Points (1g, 2a)

As advertised?

Does anyone know who Schaller's linemates were last season?

Disappointed in Schaller so far.  I just don’t see a significant upgrade over Gaunce, especially for the increased cost and cap (I know it doesn’t make any difference right now). Plus when Gaunce did play this year as centre his  faceoff numbers were good and he is as good or better at defending ( check out his team stats from last year).

To me Schaller needs to show more offensive production and gritt than he has.  Only a quarter the way through his first season here so maybe he will show more, but at 28 I suspect this is all we will get.  Another questionable signing.

• Cheers 1

I actually don't have that much to complain about Schaller.  He's what you expect from a 4th line forward.  Not much.  

What does bother me is that he got a two year deal (granted, it ain't my money).  Why give any kind of term to a replacement level player that doesn't do anything special?

9 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I actually don't have that much to complain about Schaller.  He's what you expect from a 4th line forward.  Not much.  

What does bother me is that he got a two year deal (granted, it ain't my money).  Why give any kind of term to a replacement level player that doesn't do anything special?

$1.9 mil on a 2yr deal. Is he better than what the Canucks had last year on the 4th? Does 12 goals for Boston last year get you a deal? My take is that Benning wanted to boost his bottom six last summer so he signed Roussel, Schaller and Beagle. I don't have a problem with that, it was needed. It puts more compete for TOI. Added vet presence. I don't know enough about Schaller but thought he and Beagle played well starting the season. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

$1.9 mil on a 2yr deal. Is he better than what the Canucks had last year on the 4th? Does 12 goals for Boston last year get you a deal? My take is that Benning wanted to boost his bottom six last summer so he signed Roussel, Schaller and Beagle. I don't have a problem with that, it was needed. It puts more compete for TOI. Added vet presence. I don't know enough about Schaller but thought he and Beagle played well starting the season. 

One year 'blip'  ('one hit wonder').  Much like what Shawn Matthias did for us one season (and he got 18 goals and several years younger in his last season as a Canuck) wasn't enough to get any kind of offer from Benning.  Rightly so in that case, another 'one hit wonder'.

And I didn't mention Beagle and/or Roussel as they both other things to the table (the former being actually a respectible bottom 6 center). 

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

this guy needs to use his size and hit and get engaged. We have 2 plugs in the A who can do what he does for half of the cap hit. Gaunce or Archie. Both of them have size and dont hit.

Schaller had a good year last year playing on a BETTER team. This to me is us overpaying for his previous year just like we did with Eriksson & Gagner. 

JB should have just let the younger kids compete for this roster spot.

I am sure he is a nice guy tho

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

this guy needs to use his size and hit and get engaged. We have 2 plugs in the A who can do what he does for half of the cap hit. Gaunce or Archie. Both of them have size and dont hit.

Schaller had a good year last year playing on a BETTER team. This to me is us overpaying for his previous year just like we did with Eriksson & Gagner. 

JB should have just let the younger kids compete for this roster spot.

I am sure he is a nice guy tho

I watched a bunch of Beantown games last year and T.S. played really well. I was happy when they signed him. Not so much anymore lol. I'm not sure it's because of who he played with last year... or it was just a good year for him. His time this year with other players hasn't changed anything up for him.

On 11/25/2018 at 10:00 AM, SingleThorn said:

Strike one ! I have been trying hard to be positive about Schaller, but my preference would have been to keep Gaunce. I knew nothing about him when JB signed him and had to look him up in HockeyDB. I keep thinking, 'how did he get 12 goals ?' I've seen very limited offence. I wonder what JB expected from him !

He has shown nothing, even after being gifted (because of all the injuries NOT his play) some great opportunities.  Last night less than 8 minutes and still showed nothing.

If his ‘potential’ offence was overrated, and it appears it clearly was, where is this hard hitting, tough, hard to play against guy ?  Not even a placeholder.  While I know there are a lot of Gaunce haters on here, I think he brings more with more potential, certainly at a much cheaper cost. 

The other two two free agents we signed I am good with, this another clear mistake.  He is 28, this is what he is.

Scoring would be nice but it’s not necessary for the role Schaller should play. But I expected him to be be responsible on D, motivated, aggressive and to hit. He has not delivered and I agree that so far he’s a bad signing and could easily be replaced by Gaunce. 

schaller is more evidence of how important a fit to the system and situation can be for a second tier player.   boston fans adored the guy and predicted we'd love him and he had upside.  i have yet to see a hint of what they adored.

a good analogy is hansen.  we adored him.  he was our speedy adaptable swiss army knife.  i thought he had upside for san jose when traded and certainly he was can't miss to find a slot.  san jose fans never saw his game.

which brings up leivo.  a lot of toronto fans adore him and think he has upside...  

Edited by krutovsdonut