The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tim Schaller | #59 | C

-SN-

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/video/east-coast-trip-all-access/c-62827703

6:25 Schaller bumps with John Moore, Moore gives Schaller a little cross check, Schaller responds with, " Easy buddy, you don't push me." 

Moores says, "why? you won't do anything"

Kind of makes you wonder why the Bruins didn't re-sign him and why he moved all the way across the continent to sign here.

He might have been embarassed to play like that in Boston.

Tony Tanti scored.

Edited by lmm

24 minutes ago, lmm said:

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/video/east-coast-trip-all-access/c-62827703

6:25 Schaller bumps with John Moore, Moore gives Schaller a little cross check, Schaller responds with, " Easy buddy, you don't push me." 

Moore says, "why? you won't do anything"

Kind of makes you wonder why the Bruins didn't re-sign him and why he moved all the way across the continent to sign here.

He might have been embarassed to play like that in Boston.

Tony Tanti scored.

Not sure what you're getting at here, but do keep in mind that Schaller was a fan favourite in Bean Town.  That alone tells me that he played a tough game and didn't back down.  Moore was doing a pest job on him, but there was no reason to have a go at him.  If he was ever embarrassed to be a Bruin, it would be likely when the Rat would cheap shot players and act like a clown on the ice.

36 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Not sure what you're getting at here, but do keep in mind that Schaller was a fan favourite in Bean Town.  That alone tells me that he played a tough game and didn't back down.  Moore was doing a pest job on him, but there was no reason to have a go at him.  If he was ever embarrassed to be a Bruin, it would be likely when the Rat would cheap shot players and act like a clown on the ice.

what I am getting at is 53 games in Buffalo and Vancouver, 2 goals + 4 penalty mins

141 games in Boston, 19 goals, 65 penalty minutes

Maybe Schaller only scores and fights in Boston

I was not suggesting he was embarassed to be a Bruin, more the opposite, embarrased to not play Bruin hockey while there.

we will see if he ever sticks up for his team mates in Vancouver, or if he is content to play sound defensive hockey and keep his nose clean

13 hours ago, lmm said:

what I am getting at is 53 games in Buffalo and Vancouver, 2 goals + 4 penalty mins

I was not suggesting he was embarassed to be a Bruin, more the opposite, embarrased to not play Bruin hockey while there.

we will see if he ever sticks up for his team mates in Vancouver, or if he is content to play sound defensive hockey and keep his nose clean

I thought it was Schaller who was chirping that the Bruin player wouldn't do anything not the reverse. 

16 hours ago, lmm said:

He doesn't fight much more than someone like Chaput.  A fight is a major penalty.  He has 3.  Chaput in 118 games had 4 majors.  Dorsett had 4 majors in just 20 games last season - in 105 games since 2015 he had 18 majors.  

He also had hand surgery and it was a long recovery time.

Edited by mll

7 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I thought it was Schaller who was chirping that the Bruin player wouldn't do anything not the reverse. 

It was kind of back and forth with neither really ready to drop.

But given the time and score that is not really a problem.

We don't need a fighter in that instance, and that is why I was never impressed with Derek Dorset, that is a situation where he would have gotten in a fight that would do the Canucks no good and possibly light a fire under the Bruins.

4 hours ago, mll said:

He doesn't fight much more than someone like Chaput.  A fight is a major penalty.  He has 3.  Chaput in 118 games had 4 majors.  Dorsett had 4 majors in just 20 games last season - in 105 games since 2015 he had 18 majors.  

He also had hand surgery and it was a long recovery time.

Here is what I see, the Canucks need a guy that WANTS to fight for his teammates. Schaller does not appear to be that guy, which is fine, I wouldn't want that job either. But there are players that do. Momesso did while Sandlak didn't and they were the same size and linemates. Gino, Brasheer, T. Hunter and Williams would, whereas Jake, Kassian, Gaunce don't. Jake has found his scoring touch that Schaller seems to have lost and Gaunce appears to have run out of chances. Gudbranson is like the reluctant enforcer.

Schaller was injured when signed, so it (again) becomes a question of management.

There was talk in the Summer about the 3 signings "changing the culture". I don't see it. Beagle comes in with his face off and PK ability and makes life easier for Bo and Sutter. Roussell comes in a bit like Burrows and a bit like Dorsett, a needler and a guy that will fight his own battles and Schaller makes the PK better and helps with overall defense, but I don't see the culture being any different than when the Sedins were here.  We are still a team with a "punch me" sign on our backs waiting for the league to protect us.

If Schaller doesn't score 10 goals and doesn't stick up for his teammates I don't see him as an upgrade over Gaunce, and certainly not a "culture changer".

37 minutes ago, lmm said:

Here is what I see, the Canucks need a guy that WANTS to fight for his teammates. Schaller does not appear to be that guy, which is fine, I wouldn't want that job either. But there are players that do. Momesso did while Sandlak didn't and they were the same size and linemates. Gino, Brasheer, T. Hunter and Williams would, whereas Jake, Kassian, Gaunce don't. Jake has found his scoring touch that Schaller seems to have lost and Gaunce appears to have run out of chances. Gudbranson is like the reluctant enforcer.

Schaller was injured when signed, so it (again) becomes a question of management.

There was talk in the Summer about the 3 signings "changing the culture". I don't see it. Beagle comes in with his face off and PK ability and makes life easier for Bo and Sutter. Roussell comes in a bit like Burrows and a bit like Dorsett, a needler and a guy that will fight his own battles and Schaller makes the PK better and helps with overall defense, but I don't see the culture being any different than when the Sedins were here.  We are still a team with a "punch me" sign on our backs waiting for the league to protect us.

If Schaller doesn't score 10 goals and doesn't stick up for his teammates I don't see him as an upgrade over Gaunce, and certainly not a "culture changer".

I think the game has changed and moved on from your view point.

13 hours ago, aGENT said:

I both agree and disagree with you.  I agree that there is no longer a need for the goons that we used to see in the NHL; guys who are there just because they are big and scary but can't play hockey worth a damn. These days, all players on the ice need to know how to play the game and keep up. If they don't think quick enough they get undressed by today's speed.

However, this doesn't mean you can't have a team without goons which still stands up for itself; a team with a few bigger guys who can still play the game. I understand his point to the degree that this team doesn't seem to stand up to teams that take liberties with our players. There isn't a lot of (any?) pushback when Pettersson is WWE'd to the ice or when Baertschi is hit in the head and which now has him sitting out many games. If we are going to have below average players like Schaller, Gudbranson and Archibald on this team, the very least they can do is stand up for their teammates when there is an opportunity/need to do so.

In the regular season it isn't as big of a deal because you take your licking and then the game is over and you move on. But sometimes, playing without any level of intimidation encourages liberties and as a result your players to get injured more.  This is even more true in the playoffs when you see the same team up to 7 games in a row and that kind of play wears your team down both physically and mentally.  (Like we saw in 2011).

So no, the game has moved on from needing all-out "enforcers", but I DO think there is still a need for the team to stand up for each other as well as themselves.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, kloubek said:

If we are going to have below average players like Schaller, Gudbranson and Archibald on this team,

So no, the game has moved on from needing all-out "enforcers", but I DO think there is still a need for the team to stand up for each other as well as themselves.

The bolded statement is ridiculous.

As for the last sentence, I don't disagree. And IMO (particularly when we're healthy, with a full compliment of healthy Sutter, Beagle, Roussel and Edler) we're a very 'hard to play against' team. IMO, that's the new NHL 'toughness'.

How many games have we actually played this season with all of those guys skating?

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, aGENT said:

you think the game has changed, that's cool 

you know what? Pat Quinn thought the game had changed when he traded future Selke winner Mike Peca for Alex Mogilny.

The game morphs and it ebbs and flows

In a year when Tom Wilson won the cup and Reeves and Carrier went to the finals, and Winnipeg and the team of giants made the top 4, the Canucks come out of camp with Tyler Motte as the biggest surprize.

You are welcome to not share my view point, but I have seen all this before.

46 minutes ago, aGENT said:

The bolded statement is ridiculous.

As for the last sentence, I don't disagree. And IMO (particularly when we're healthy, with a full compliment of healthy Sutter, Beagle, Roussel and Edler) we're a very 'hard to play against' team. IMO, that's the new NHL 'toughness'.

How many games have we actually played this season with all of those guys skating?

Why is it ridiculous?  Those players I listed are not exactly renowned for their scoring nor their amazing defense. I believe that every player needs to step up and contribute in some meaningful way and if they aren't going to be at least average hockey players they gotta do *something* to stay in the lineup.

I do agree that with a full lineup we are a harder team to play against - though I would argue we don't have that much more pushback in the event of other teams taking liberties.

• Like 1