The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Shea Weber out 5-6 months after knee surgery

5 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Well if it is just a simple clean up recovery is a few weeks. They just grind a little flap down smooth.

If there was a large tear and they decided to try to suture it down that would require a much longer recovery.

I think micro fracture surgeries have somewhat fallen out of favour but had their been extensive cartilaginous damage they may have opted for that which again has a very long recovery.

Good luck Shea, class act, great player.  Not his fault he is playing for one of the worst GMs in the league (I can't give the crown to anyone but Chia though).

He is a very classy player and a good one and cannot be faulted for being part of an insane trade.    Extensive damage is most often removed isn't it?   If indeed they needed to suture it why the long recovery as wouldn't the sutures be strong right away?   That length of recovery speaks ligament damage.   I am far and away NOT an orthopedic surgeon but have had enough interactions with such and been around guys with pretty much every knee condition an athlete can have to have never experienced an meniscus issue addressed by a scoping procedure that took that long to heal.

3 minutes ago, rekker said:

Always wonder how these off season surgeries work. Why now? Why not at the end of the year months ago? Seems to happen quite often. 

He had surgery on his foot earlier in the year. The damage in the knee was discovered while rehabbing the foot 

46 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Something fishy about this.   A scope procedure to repair a torn meniscus does not take 5 to 6 months.   

Exactly what I was thinking. Had one surgery to repair my meniscus in my mid twenties, was about 6 weeks til I felt 100%. Then ten years later had all the meniscus from my other knee removed, degenerative, unrepairable damage. My recovery was about 8weeks. 

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Habs to the cellar...

This is why you can never plan to tank.  You would have to try hard to be worse than Montreal is on paper right now (and Ottawa will soon be soon to follow after Karlsson is likely moved).

5 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

This is why you can never plan to tank.  You would have to try hard to be worse than Montreal is on paper right now (and Ottawa will soon be soon to follow after Karlsson is likely moved).

ott does not even have there pick!

1 hour ago, TheRick said:

So Montreal traded a classy player in PK, who did nothing but donated to Children's Hospitals in Montreal, for an injury prone aging Dman, and now Montreal is considering signing a wife beating Dman!? Stay classy Montreal!:rolleyes:

They want to join the tire fire in Ottawa lol

I know I am totally going against what this team needs moving forward but would you:

to MTL: Chris Tanev

to VAN: Max Pacioretty

I know its the Habs but this one might actually be doable for Tanev and some definite professional leadership coming back. I know the movement is to get younger but just something to make you go hmmm.

38 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

As much as I want to put him there....I say melnyk belongs there in place of or beside

Yeah.  It's going to get real ugly in Ottawa over the next couple of years.  That team isn't surviving in the city unless that bum sells to a real owner who is willing to pay enough to ice an NHL team.  Not much Dorion can do when Melnyk is so cheap he'd have the scratches drive the Zamboni to save money.

Bergevin stands alone as the worst GM in hockey now. 

I give you the front runners for Jack Hughes ladies and gentlemen. They have no top 6 centers, no really sound D-men. But who knows, Price is either a god or injured. Lets see which Price shows up this season. Cause they definitely need him to be at his godliest if they want any chance at playoffs.

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

He is a very classy player and a good one and cannot be faulted for being part of an insane trade.    Extensive damage is most often removed isn't it?   If indeed they needed to suture it why the long recovery as wouldn't the sutures be strong right away?   That length of recovery speaks ligament damage.   I am far and away NOT an orthopedic surgeon but have had enough interactions with such and been around guys with pretty much every knee condition an athlete can have to have never experienced an meniscus issue addressed by a scoping procedure that took that long to heal.

While suturing a large flap, you need that flap to try and heal and hopefully improve blood flow, cartilage is notoriously hard to heal.  The sutures are there to hold the flap down, not really structural.  It really isn't a mechanical assist from the suture, it is a hold down and pray things grow together.

The micro fracture surgeries started as an attempt to re-grow cartilage.  Essentially punches a bunch of little holes in the articular surface of the knee and hope that it heels in as new cartilage.  While it seems to form new cartilage, it isn't as tough or good quality as the original and so the results are not as long lasting.  Haven't seem the results for stromal vascular fraction (stem cells), I would think this would mix well with micro fracture surgery given the inflammatory process induced and the homing mechanism of the stem cells.  

This is usually what happens in the labrum of the hip in goaltenders, that is why the recovery is so long, often 6 months plus.

I assumed they would have mentioned ligament damage if that was part of the issue.

Archived