The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver Sports Radio 1040 or 650

aqua59

Sports Radio in Vancouver 1040 or 650?  

141 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Is it just me or has sports talk radio become oversaturated in Vancouver. 1040 has become very stale, top to bottom straying from sports talk topics all too often loosing it's true sports  value for fans respectively. I don't want any more Moj accents ...

650 is giving 1040 some stiff competition. 

6 minutes ago, aqua59 said:

Is it just me or has sports talk radio become oversaturated in Vancouver. 1040 has become very stale, top to bottom straying from sports talk topics all too often loosing it's true sports  value for fans respectively. I don't want any more Moj accents ...

Definitely over saturated. Being the off season ( if hockey is your first choice ) really exaggerates that fact. There's often little to zero sports news on any given day and these poor schmucks have do a 3 or 4 hour segment. As soon as you hear the hosts discussing movies, TV shows, wine etc you know it's a no news day.

I can’t stabd Pratt on 1040. The guys a complete fool. 

Mike and Jason are hilarious so I enjoy them quite a bit. 

Donny and Moj are pretty good too.

i can’t tell anyone from 650 apart. All they do I argue with Rick Daliwhal and it annoys the hell out of me

2 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Honestly they both suck. 1040 went so downhill and after they lost the rights to the games I switched to 650, but the 650 lineup, especially the morning show, was so lack lustre that I just don't listen to sports radio anymore. 

This is exactly my sentiment.  I only want to hear hockey talk, and by actual hockey people.  Alex Auld is good.  Big Todd is good too. I would like 650 to have one hockey person as a host each show.  Nerds, who never played the game, talking about it just sounds stupid.  

I tend to flip between both but probably spend more time on 1040.  If neither are talking about something I'm interested in (which is often since it's mainly hockey or bust) I listen to podcasts (non sport ones).

Ferraro is probably my favourite guest spot.  No huge preference between hosts, I'm pretty adept at picking up when they're trying to bs so I don't let it get to me.  The personal anecdotes don't bug me either, I'd rather them wax poetic about that than stir up controversy out of nothing, they do that enough already (Sekeres and Pratt being the most guilty).

22 minutes ago, Alflives said:

This is exactly my sentiment.  I only want to hear hockey talk, and by actual hockey people.  Alex Auld is good.  Big Todd is good too. I would like 650 to have one hockey person as a host each show.  Nerds, who never played the game, talking about it just sounds stupid.  

I know he left already, but Steve Darling was an awful choice for a sports show morning host. He just had no charisma and his sports knowledge was fan level at best. I liked Stroumboulopoulos on HNIC better since at least he wasn't the main talker. He just moderated more knowledgeable people.

8 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

I know he left already, but Steve Darling was an awful choice for a sports show morning host. He just had no charisma and his sports knowledge was fan level at best. I liked Stroumboulopoulos on HNIC better since at least he wasn't the main talker. He just moderated more knowledgeable people.

I agree about a maint host, (a radio pro) who compliments an ex player.  I just want the ex player to be a regular too.  There was a short couple months back in 2011?, where Scott Rinoul hosted a 1040 show, with Ray Ferraro as the co-host.  That’s the best radio hockey talk show we’ve had here.  It only lasted a few months, but it was awesome.  

3 hours ago, aqua59 said:

There are only two things keeping me checking up on tsn1040. One the voices of some of the hockey greats Bob McKenzie, Ray Ferraro, etc. The other which is probably the biggest part is TSN's top audio clips. They perfectly clip the best parts and interviews of their shows. 

The latter is something that Sportsnet does do but they have them sectioned off to each specific show and I find the content I'm looking for next to impossible to find. Sportsnet needs to adopt the same style of recorded clips being accessible for one location. I don't know who attended what radio show and having to try and figure out which show was on at any given hour is just frustrating.

Spoetsnet650 is my go to though for any live pre or post game discussions. I really enjoyed Alex Auld and Joey Kenword doing the post game shows. I kind of miss 650s old morning crew the new guy just rips on Rick D all show its kinda pathetic. We need that lovely lady back that did the morning show.

The only 1040 show I will listen to over 650 is the Halford and Brough show. They are great guys who use to do their own independent show believe part of Canucks army. 

I hope Sportsnet learns to use 1040s audio interview format. I refuse to look through all their shows to try and find a decent clip. I don't know what shows are on at what hour aside from the Rick D show.

1 hour ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Did Auld leave?  Or is he just taking the summer off.  I never really heard for sure.  Auld was the only 650 host worth listening to.  

Edit:  I like Kenword too.   

Both stations are boring. Maybe they will get better as the season starts.  Listening to Jake on the morning show was the beginning of the end for me. I was never quit sure why he was on a sports talk show.

ever since TSN1040 lost their Canucks rights, they went downhill. they now exaggerate things and make up drama just to get more listeners. Most of their listeners are hfboards posters, they openly mock JB and management on air, they're all doom and gloom bs and i got tired of it.

I once tuned in on the morning show (Halford and Brough) and one of the guys was whining about growing up being a Canucks fan and being overly dramatic. I listen to SPN650 regularly now, Satiar Shah and Auldie is growing on me. 

2 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

650 dropped the ball with that choice. Christy tried him too.

Archived