The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Report) Nurse won't attend Oilers camp without contract

MikeBossy

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

If he wants more than $3.5 per season they are screwed on cap...so they NEED him to bridge on a year deal less than that.   IF he doesn't, and insists on a longer term and money in the $4.5 to $5 range (which he has comparables to use), then they need to drop someone significant before the season starts.

The Oilers have just under 4 million in cap space currently, but Sekera will be on IR when the season starts with a torn ACL. So they can paper down Puljujarvi and will have almost 5 million in cap space to start the season, so if they can sign Nurse for under 5, they can make it happen. The question is if Nurse is asking for north of 5.

5 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

If he wants more than $3.5 per season they are screwed on cap...so they NEED him to bridge on a year deal less than that.   IF he doesn't, and insists on a longer term and money in the $4.5 to $5 range (which he has comparables to use), then they need to drop someone significant before the season starts.

Their problem.  I personally would prefer Brady Skjei or Noah Hanifin.  Who commanded $5 mill each long term. But I don't think Nurse is that far off that? And offers some physicality. Which still means something? if I were him, I would feel they should make space over $4 mill.  And that he would ask in that neighbourhood for a long term deal.

I'd take Nurse over Edmundson, pardon the pun. A big physical kid, same ageish in St Lou who was just handed a $3 mill bridge deal over 1 year. Joel Edmundson is pretty solid, But does not have the speed or smack Nurse does. If they could pay Nurse closer to $4mill on a bridge deal, that would be about right?

And I'm sure there is a way...

8 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Their problem.  I personally would prefer Brady Skjei or Noah Hanifin.  Who commanded $5 mill each long term. But I don't think Nurse is that far off that? And offers some physicality. Which still means something? if I were him, I would feel they should make space over $4 mill.  And that he would ask in that neighbourhood for a long term deal.

I'd take Nurse over Edmundson, pardon the pun. A big physical kid, same ageish in St Lou who was just handed a $3 mill bridge deal over 1 year. Joel Edmundson is pretty solid, But does not have the speed or smack Nurse does. If they could pay Nurse closer to $4mill on a bridge deal, that would be about right?

And I'm sure there is a way...

Give my Sanheim over all of them.

On 9/6/2018 at 11:13 PM, Hutton Wink said:

Would think they'd use Hanifin as a comparable, to some degree.

Hanifin only had 6 more points (I don't think Nurse got any PP time too given he has 0 PP points), is much worse defensively, and plays roughly 4 minutes fewer per game than Nurse. Nurse averaged 22 minutes per game last year (Klefbom had a hair more) and I think he knows that he is their best defender. I'd say he is worth a fair bit more than Hanifin.

13 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Hanifin only had 6 more points (I don't think Nurse got any PP time too given he has 0 PP points), is much worse defensively, and plays roughly 4 minutes fewer per game than Nurse. Nurse averaged 22 minutes per game last year (Klefbom had a hair more) and I think he knows that he is their best defender. I'd say he is worth a fair bit more than Hanifin.

I've never been a big Nurse fan. Until last year. He has improved steadily and on a farce of team last year he was a bright light. He is an Ox when needed and his offence is coming along. Tough call between Hanfin and Nurse. I haven't watched much of Hanfin so at this point I would prefer Nurse as he is so steady in his own end. Wish we could trade for him actually. 

47 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Yes, but it's typically dmen who put up points who garner the bigger $.  Regardless, his ask is almost certainly in the $5mil+ range.

8 hours ago, rekker said:

I've never been a big Nurse fan. Until last year. He has improved steadily and on a farce of team last year he was a bright light. He is an Ox when needed and his offence is coming along. Tough call between Hanfin and Nurse. I haven't watched much of Hanfin so at this point I would prefer Nurse as he is so steady in his own end. Wish we could trade for him actually. 

VAN

Nurse

EDM

Baertschi

Hutton

3rd

On 2018-09-05 at 2:15 PM, BlastPast said:

That's the problem with paying guy #1 top dollar, everybody else will expect it too too. I wouldn't be surprised if he wants in the 6 mil range, he's a good player.

If I were a player other than McDavid, I would realise that I'm not McDavid.

Every player is different and to lump "everyone else" as wanting the same thing is grossly unrealistic imo. Not saying Nurse is a bad player, but I think you're making way too many assumptions here.

13 minutes ago, The Lock said:

If I were a player other than McDavid, I would realise that I'm not McDavid.

They realize this and that is why they don't expect 12.5.  They do probably expect to get what they are worth and not a whole lot less (exp. Draisaitl contract and now Nurse)

4 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

“If they’ve got $5 million in cap space, it’s not going to be a long-term deal,” Nurse’s agent, Anton Thun, told the Edmonton Journal. “I don’t see with their cap space being what it is that they can entice us with much term.”

Bridge incoming.

yeah was gunna saw bridge, wonder what money there gunna settle on.

Archived