The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen still doesn't realize how strong he is

*Buzzsaw*

I thought he looked good all game. Made some good decisions dumping the puck in and clearing the zone. However, he needs to get better at carrying the puck. He used to be able to just outspeed everyone, but now it's not so easy. I love that Green had him defending the lead in the end and he responded with two points. 

5 hours ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

It's rather hard to teach Hockey IQ.  You either have it - or you don't.

What does this have to do with the OP? LOL. It's like this is people's default response to anything Jake related. 

"Jake has a really nice car" "yeah, but without hockey IQ can he drive it to the rink as well as Pettersson could?"

4 hours ago, superglu said:

Jake's defensive awareness is increasing every game. Love the way he's been physical but he'll develop more through experience. 

Jake has been frequently utilized in a shutdown role early in his career - and has been very effective, particularly for a 20, 21, 22 year old.  Green has done an excellent job of helping im round out his game.  He's playing with Sutter and Motte on the principal shutdown line and getting 33% ozone starts.

Once again this year he leads the team in takeaways with 4, and hasn't committed a giveaway yet = +4 turnover differential through 4 games.

He had 51 to lead the team last year. 

2nd to Motte in hits among forwards - and does not chase hits.

His defensive awareness / ability to read the play is highly under-rated on these boards - ironically - by armchairs who are unable to read his play lol - even in hindsight.

5 hours ago, Darius said:

If he wasn’t having a good game  coach wouldn’t trust him enough to have him out there defending a lead while the other team had 6 guys on the ice with the net empty. You would haven’t seen this 1 year ago. He was a beast on the boards. 

some people have the blinders on when it comes to Jake. I suspect no matter what Jake does it won't be good enough because he's got "no" hockey IQ.  Real expert opinions those are.

7 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Did everyone notice the sequence with Ryan McDonagh in the third?

Canucks are trying to clear the zone, someone tries a pass to Jake at the blue line... McDonagh decides he'll step up and flatten Jake.

McDonagh is not some spring chicken, he's been around, he's a solid 215 lbs... BUT...  despite having the momentum, he bounces off Jake like he was a lightweight and ends up on his butt.  Meanwhile Jake calmly clears the puck and heads for the bench for a change.

So McDonagh takes offense, then the rest of the Lightning take offense and they all swarm Jake.... which doesn't work out so good for them either, as they all bounce off like pinballs and Stamkos who is also not a lightweight gets tossed on his butt too... with Jake's one hand.

Afterwards on the Bench, Jake sits there like some overgrown kid who's a little worried somebody spotted him swiping the hot pie off the window sill... oblivious to the whole ruckus he's caused...

I think that whole sequence helped to get the Lightning off their game and also got the Canucks going harder.

Somebody on the Canucks needs to take Jake into a room and show him that video over and over again until he gets it into his head he doesn't need to play as cautiously as he does.  He could be a one man wrecking crew if he wants to be.

What if he doesn't want to be a one man wrecking crew?  Easy to say, we said the same things about Kassian when he was here, big, fast and stupidly strong and could do it but some guys want to play the skill game.  If Jake just keeps doing stuff like what he's doing I will be fine with it, he's slowly developing into a good regular NHLer

7 hours ago, Noseforthenet said:

He got 2 empty net points...it wasn't that good.

Sooo...... points aren't good.... And I would assume he's talking about the other 58 minutes of the game where he played very good in a checking role with Sutter and Motte.

7 hours ago, Noseforthenet said:

OK, but if I could get that every game I'd take it in a heartbeat.

It means we're up rather than playing with our goalie pulled.

And it means the coach is relying on Virtanen to keep us up.

8 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Did everyone notice the sequence with Ryan McDonagh in the third?

Canucks are trying to clear the zone, someone tries a pass to Jake at the blue line... McDonagh decides he'll step up and flatten Jake.

McDonagh is not some spring chicken, he's been around, he's a solid 215 lbs... BUT...  despite having the momentum, he bounces off Jake like he was a lightweight and ends up on his butt.  Meanwhile Jake calmly clears the puck and heads for the bench for a change.

So McDonagh takes offense, then the rest of the Lightning take offense and they all swarm Jake.... which doesn't work out so good for them either, as they all bounce off like pinballs and Stamkos who is also not a lightweight gets tossed on his butt too... with Jake's one hand.

Afterwards on the Bench, Jake sits there like some overgrown kid who's a little worried somebody spotted him swiping the hot pie off the window sill... oblivious to the whole ruckus he's caused...

I think that whole sequence helped to get the Lightning off their game and also got the Canucks going harder.

Somebody on the Canucks needs to take Jake into a room and show him that video over and over again until he gets it into his head he doesn't need to play as cautiously as he does.  He could be a one man wrecking crew if he wants to be.

Maybe we shouldn't.  That's what we tried to do with Kassian and ended up being a marked man by the league discipline committee (or worse we don't want another Bertuzzi incident).

Also, I'd rather not make a Tom Wilson out of Jake.    Jake is strong, heavy and fast.  He just need to stand his ground and stay the course and not "try" to bully everyone around, because he will do that just with his raw power.  He doesn't need to be looking for that stuff, that stuff will come to him.

8 hours ago, Noseforthenet said:

Those points are a reward for his excellent play; doesn't matter if they came on empty-netters, they were earned.

I love the look on Stamkos' face as he begins to realize he's been tossed aside like so much wrapping at Christmas. 

8 hours ago, Noseforthenet said:

Disagree, he played great.  Ask yourself this, do you really think Travis Green would put Jake out there late to defend a lead if he thought he war playing poorly?  JV also look good on the second PP unit last night.  I said in the preseason thread if he puts in the work he'll get rewarded, it's starting to pay off. 

I really like Jake's game last night. The puck protection, cycling, and puck seperation were all great. He has a tendency though to stand still in the D d zone when he makes a mistake. 

After his stick hot lifted and their guy charged the net he just stood there. If he had of kept moving even gliding he may have had a breakaway. Shortly after he was standing still the puck was open near the Blueline and he nearly beat the defenders. If he had a tiny bit of momentum hr could of had a clear breakaway on the chance.

Loved Jake's game. Hope we see him bring that every game. He seems to overthink and get into his head after making a mistake. Hopefully he can get more confidence as he matures.

Archived