The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Winnipeg Jets | Oct. 18, 2018

-Vintage Canuck-

Overall a successful road trip.  3-3 after losing EP for 2 games is an excellent result for this team.

The Jets are one of the top few teams in the league and we mostly hung with them.  Sure the ice was little tilted after the first few minutes, 3rd came up flat.

Goldy continues to look good without EP.  Wonder how Gaudette would do if he had a capable winger on the other wing.

Time to get pumped up for the Bruins, hopefully EP is back and gets his first NHL hat trick.

57 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Overall a successful road trip.  3-3 after losing EP for 2 games is an excellent result for this team.

The Jets are one of the top few teams in the league and we mostly hung with them.  Sure the ice was little tilted after the first few minutes, 3rd came up flat.

Goldy continues to look good without EP.  Wonder how Gaudette would do if he had a capable winger on the other wing.

Time to get pumped up for the Bruins, hopefully EP is back and gets his first NHL hat trick.

I hope he makes someone and millionaire! I also hope Horvat destroys Marchand for an attempted cheap shot. I'd like to have an Iginla type captain.

17 hours ago, JamesB said:

My post-mortem goes as follows:

A. The Good

1. The team as a whole played a good Winnipeg team even through two periods, despite being at the end of a long road trip. Nilsson had to make some good saves but so did Hellebuyck. The Canucks actually dominated for the first 7 or 8 minutes of the game. Both teams played well over those two periods.

2. Gaudette did not play a lot (10:06) and was protected (no D-zone starts as Horvat took his spot for those), but he played well when he was out there. Would really like to see him get his first point soon.

3. Horvat scored a nice goal and played well overall.

4. Nilsson continued to play well, despite giving up 3 in the third period.

5. Boeser was pretty good again and had some good looks tonight. Seems like he has played his way back from his poor start.

B, The Not-So-Good

6, The Hutton-Gudbranson pairing struggled tonight and Guddy had a particularly bad game. He was on the ice for all 4 goals against (two on the PK) and, in my view, played a role in all 4. I don't know how many times the Canucks lost possession tonight because Guddy failed to make a clean pass. I think that part of the problem is that he is trying too hard to provide offensive support. I think he should leave that to his partner and try to just play good defence. He had 3 shots tonight. At least two were poor shots -- shots from the blue line with no traffic. Those are very low probably shots and all they do is give up possession. In both situations he had plenty of time to do something good with the puck instead of, in effect, just giving up possession.

7. Would have been nice to see a more consistent effort from Jake.

8. As others have pointed out, the loss of EP really shows. The PP looks much worse without him and he can always be counted on to generate a few high danger chances at 5-on-5 during a game. They won't always go in, but having him out of the line-up really cuts into likely scoring. And Goldy and Eriksson are obviously much better with EP than with anyone else.

9. The Canucks also miss Beagle on the PK and, to a lesser extent, at 5-on-5. Having Granlund take his spot definitely weakens the team.

Still the road trip was a positive surprise for many people. The Canucks should be feeiing pretty good about themselves. I am sure this road trip was an important team bonding experience.

I thought Hutton had his worst game of the season after having his best the previous game.  Hutton does look noticeably faster and slimmer versus previous years.  Hutton and Gudbranson don't play well together at all.  Gudbranson and Pouliot don't play well  together at all.  I like Gudbranson but when you see a pattern like that its not great.  I would still like to see Gudbranson play with Joulevi or Hughes before writting him off. 

Nilsson was blameless and kept the team in it for a long time. 

Boeser's passing skills have completely eroded without Vanek.  He seems to be either off timing wise since its early in the season or the chemistry isn't there or he is just a horrible passer.  I feel bad for Boeser because there aren't players on the roster that are good fit playing with him.  Vanek would protect the puck so well and make great plays drawing defenders and then passing it out to Brock. 

I know will sound a bit absurd, but I really like Tim Schallers offensive upside.  He is great on the forecheck, but he is also very strong on his skates and shields the puck with his body really well.  He made some great passes for the two assists he got in Pittsburgh.  I say give him a shot over Goldobin on the top line.

Goldobin made some horrific turnovers.  He gave it away on the powerplay and then Edler had to take a penalty on the odd man rush on the first goal.  Then he proceeded to turn it over with blind back passes all over the ice.  He is a great complimentary player to Petterson, but if Elias is hurt then this kid shouldn't be playing.

Virtanen is a player conscious of statistics.  He takes more soft wristers than anyone I have ever seen.  His first goal of the season is how I would like to see him play.  Go hard to the net and deke the goalie.  He routinely gets a breakaway or odd man rush and then shoots a wrister from the top of the circle.  I have no idea why he does this other than he collects easy shots from every where to help his Corsi numbers.  Sounds ridiculous but maybe....

Roussel has a lot more skill than I thought him to have.  Very pleasant surprise all around.  I hope he rubs off on Jake.  If he can make Jake a more mean and annoying to play against, his Roussels salary would be worth that alone.

Eriksson is so much maligned on here, but he is essentially the forward version of Tanev.  If the puck goes into the boards, Loui comes out with it.  They both do it without throwing hits.  He steals a lot of pucks and makes great passes in the neutral zone.  He cant shoot a puck and he is not a dynamic stick handler, but he does everything else.  I thought he has been great all year.  Baertschi has also surprised me at how good he has been on the boards. 

40 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

I thought Hutton had his worst game of the season after having his best the previous game.  Hutton does look noticeably faster and slimmer versus previous years.  Hutton and Gudbranson don't play well together at all.  Gudbranson and Pouliot don't play well  together at all.  I like Gudbranson but when you see a pattern like that its not great.  I would still like to see Gudbranson play with Joulevi or Hughes before righting him off. 

Boeser's passing skills have completely eroded without Vanek.  He seems to be either off timing wise since its early in the season or the chemistry isn't there or he is just a horrible passer.  I feel bad for Boeser because there aren't players on the roster that are good fit playing with him.  Vanek would protect the puck so well and make great plays drawing defenders and then passing it out to Brock. 

I know will sound a bit absurd, but I really like Tim Schallers offensive upside.  He is great on the forecheck, but he is also very strong on his skates and shields the puck with his body really well.  He made some great passes for the two assists he got in Pittsburgh.  I say give him a shot over Goldobin on the top line.

Goldobin made some horrific turnovers.  He gave it away on the powerplay and then Edler had to take a penalty on the odd man rush on the first goal.  Then he proceeded to turn it over with blind back passes all over the ice.  He is a great complimentary player to Petterson, but if Elias is hurt then this kid shouldn't be playing.

Virtanen is a player conscious of statistics.  He takes more soft wristers than anyone I have ever seen.  His first goal of the season is how I would like to see him play.  Go hard to the net and deke the goalie.  He routinely gets a breakaway or odd man rush and then shoots a wrister from the top of the circle.  I have no idea why he does this other than he collects easy shots from every where to help his Corsi numbers.  Sounds ridiculous but maybe....

Roussel has a lot more skill than I thought him to have.  Very pleasant surprise all around.  I hope he rubs off on Jake.  If he can make Jake a more mean and annoying to play against, his Roussels salary would be worth that alone.

Eriksson is so much maligned on here, but he is essentially the forward version of Tanev.  If the puck goes into the boards, Loui comes out with it.  They both do it without throwing hits.  He steals a lot of pucks and makes great passes in the neutral zone.  He cant shoot a puck and he is not a dynamic stick handler, but he does everything else.  I thought he has been great all year.  Baertschi has also surprised me at how good he has been on the boards. 

So the question then becomes Vanek, do we really need him? 

45 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

I thought Hutton had his worst game of the season after having his best the previous game.  Hutton does look noticeably faster and slimmer versus previous years.  Hutton and Gudbranson don't play well together at all.  Gudbranson and Pouliot don't play well  together at all.  I like Gudbranson but when you see a pattern like that its not great.  I would still like to see Gudbranson play with Joulevi or Hughes before righting him off. 

Goldobin hate blinders I see.

The sky isn't falling. The team isn't crumbling. After beating the Lightning (a contender), Panthers (potential contender), and Penguins (contender and Stanley Cup champion), the Canucks ran into the Jets (another contender) who weren't only fresh off of being embarrassed by the Edmonton McOilers, but also got one of their most dominant players back in Dustin Byfuglien. They were out to prove something with a fully healthy roster. Did the Canucks have a fully healthy roster? No. Missing two of their centerman, one being an elite penalty killing Stanely Cup champion, the other a rookie phenom.

The Canucks played well for the first two periods, and started getting sloppy due to fatigue in the third. These things happen to hockey teams. The character the Canucks showed made the game still very watchable.

All is well.

15 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The sky isn't falling. The team isn't crumbling. After beating the Lightning (a contender), Panthers (potential contender), and Penguins (contender and Stanley Cup champion), the Canucks ran into the Jets (another contender) who weren't only fresh off of being embarrassed by the Edmonton McOilers, but also got one of their most dominant players back in Dustin Byfuglien. They were out to prove something with a fully healthy roster. Did the Canucks have a fully healthy roster? No. Missing two of their centerman, one being an elite penalty killing Stanely Cup champion, the other a rookie phenom.

The Canucks played well for the first two periods, and started getting sloppy due to fatigue in the third. These things happen to hockey teams. The character the Canucks showed made the game still very watchable.

All is well.

no kidding. WPG had zero reasons to lose last night facing a rebuilding team at the end of a season starting 6 game road trip. 

10 hours ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

The way I see it the Canucks are relying on Edler too much but they don’t have a choice. Outside of Tanev, Edler  and Stecher every other d man is bottom pairing quality.

Pouliot is alright too and a good top 4 fill in.

Gudbranson makes lots of bad reads, Hutton is inconsistent. 

Mdz is another so so dman. 

We are desperately missing a true number 1-2 dman.

Quinn Hughes! He will be ready soon. He may not be able to defend like a #1 D right away but he will able to transition the puck like one. His offence may be really good early too because of his skating and creativity. 

Who gets paired with Hughes though?

Tanev?? Stecher?? Guddy??

Stecher might be an interesting but they could get overpowered down low.

16 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

All is well.

It's all good man! 

38 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

All is well.

I thought everyone wanted the Canucks to suck to pick jack 

Archived