The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Winnipeg Jets | Oct. 18, 2018

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, LowerMainLander18 said:

Well it wasn't just Schaller. We had Gud involved and JV had some pushing and shoving against Copp in the 2nd period.

Basically, we were losing the game but we still had fight left in us.

It was a long road trip but I guess there has been some bonding during this trip. 

Good to hear about. With the skill of our young guys showing up, along with the aggression they're demonstrating, the future looks bright.

Pretty proud of our team.  

They played their guts out and got beat by probably the best team in the league at the moment.  Hellybuck played a great game himself today, if he didn't save one of those we could be talking about an overtime point or even a win.  

Hutton and Pouliot have improved a lot even though I'm still not their biggest fan.  

Motte and Schaller got their sticks on everything in the offensive zone for a few games in a row now.  I'm love their forechecking atm.  

Nilsson has been awesome.  If it wasn't for him, the Jets might've been up by two or three after the midway point of the second period.  

It never ceases to amaze me what a great little player Stecher has turned into.  He's got great wheels and had made a lot of clean zone exits.  

This road trip has laid a foundation for a competitive season I hope. 

14 minutes ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

The way I see it the Canucks are relying on Edler too much but they don’t have a choice. Outside of Tanev, Edler  and Stecher every other d man is bottom pairing quality.

Pouliot is alright too and a good top 4 fill in.

Gudbranson makes lots of bad reads, Hutton is inconsistent. 

Mdz is another so so dman. 

We are desperately missing a true number 1-2 dman.

you really have to go watch Gudbranson live to see how bad a defencemen he actually is.

Really don't get the guy...gets all the props for his handling of the Dube opening nite. Since apologizing for hitting him...has turned into a powder puff. WTF ??

Please Guddy ...don't ever think your of value to the team for your ability to play defence(or offence).   Bring something

Want a great drinking game....do a shot every time Guddy passes a puck into someones skates. 

Just don't plan on driving home.

FWIW....it is never from lack of effort or hustle...he just isn't very gud at hockey.

18 minutes ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

The way I see it the Canucks are relying on Edler too much but they don’t have a choice. Outside of Tanev, Edler  and Stecher every other d man is bottom pairing quality.

Pouliot is alright too and a good top 4 fill in.

Gudbranson makes lots of bad reads, Hutton is inconsistent. 

Mdz is another so so dman. 

We are desperately missing a true number 1-2 dman.

This right here is the crux of our problem.  

Edler and Tanev are actually playing like a very very good top pairing.  They're not flashy but damn, they've stiffled the best of the best in the league on this road trip.  Stecher is a solid second pairing guy.  

The problem is that we have three other defencemen that would be the #7 defenceman on most other teams.  

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Also, shout out to our road trip mvp

Nilsson has been rock solid for us lately

2 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Hard game. We battled. We tried but were tired. Questionable PP ruins 1-1 tie and Nilsson kept us in until the D crumbled infront of him.

Good effort on the road trip. Guys just tired can chalk it up as a great road trip. If it weren't for the questionable call maybe we could of grabbed a point.

2 hours ago, samurai said:

Gud and Hutton were not good tonight - not their fault.  No EP not much O

15 minutes ago, martybyrd said:

Want a great drinking game....do a shot every time Guddy passes a puck into someones skates. 

Just don't plan on driving home.

FWIW....it is never from lack of effort or hustle...he just isn't very gud at hockey.

My post-mortem goes as follows:

A. The Good

1. The team as a whole played a good Winnipeg team even through two periods, despite being at the end of a long road trip. Nilsson had to make some good saves but so did Hellebuyck. The Canucks actually dominated for the first 7 or 8 minutes of the game. Both teams played well over those two periods.

2. Gaudette did not play a lot (10:06) and was protected (no D-zone starts as Horvat took his spot for those), but he played well when he was out there. Would really like to see him get his first point soon.

3. Horvat scored a nice goal and played well overall.

4. Nilsson continued to play well, despite giving up 3 in the third period.

5. Boeser was pretty good again and had some good looks tonight. Seems like he has played his way back from his poor start.

B, The Not-So-Good

6, The Hutton-Gudbranson pairing struggled tonight and Guddy had a particularly bad game. He was on the ice for all 4 goals against (two on the PK) and, in my view, played a role in all 4. I don't know how many times the Canucks lost possession tonight because Guddy failed to make a clean pass. I think that part of the problem is that he is trying too hard to provide offensive support. I think he should leave that to his partner and try to just play good defence. He had 3 shots tonight. At least two were poor shots -- shots from the blue line with no traffic. Those are very low probably shots and all they do is give up possession. In both situations he had plenty of time to do something good with the puck instead of, in effect, just giving up possession.

7. Would have been nice to see a more consistent effort from Jake.

8. As others have pointed out, the loss of EP really shows. The PP looks much worse without him and he can always be counted on to generate a few high danger chances at 5-on-5 during a game. They won't always go in, but having him out of the line-up really cuts into likely scoring. And Goldy and Eriksson are obviously much better with EP than with anyone else.

9. The Canucks also miss Beagle on the PK and, to a lesser extent, at 5-on-5. Having Granlund take his spot definitely weakens the team.

Still the road trip was a positive surprise for many people. The Canucks should be feeiing pretty good about themselves. I am sure this road trip was an important team bonding experience.

3 hours ago, luckylager said:

Philly, if a Canuck ever connects a huge open ice hit on that turd, I'll buy his jersey. I don't even care if I have to buy a Del Zotto jersey if, if he destroys that $&!#stain.

+10 I'll join you... don't care who do does it... just do it

1 hour ago, kenhodgejr said:

Gudbranson was out of position on a bunch of those goals. I would like Benning to replace him with someone better 

He was standing behind the net while the other team scored a little less today, so hey, progress!

Great to see all the positive posts in a loss! I mean it! There was a time when even wins were overly negative. I think the real fans have stuck around.

Played great through parts of the game, but sadly didn't show up in the 3rd. Nilsson was solid again, I aws impressed by our D, and I believe this is the only time in a short season that we've scored under 3 goals. Shake it off, and get pumped for HNIC!

6 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Or, that is what happens when you play 6 of your first 7 games on the road and are gassed and have to play the back end of it without two of your four centermen.   That is what happens.

Yup, we lost our best PP player and PK player.

That was a hard game to watch. They started okay in the first then faded hard for the rest of the game. Bad decisions, bad passes, bad everything. Schedule is not as bad as it seems. They had no back to backs and they had 2 two day breaks. No excuses for their piss poor play last night. Nilsson played pretty good, everyone else stunk up the joint. Overall pleased with the road trip, but that's a very sour way to end it.

Archived