The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

When did you become a Canucks fan?

smokes

I was 10 years old and the Canucks we're on there way on a very good play-off run that would see them lose to the NYI in 1982! The very first game I watched with Dada Rodger Neilson had a towel on his stick surrendering. And that's where I cam in to see all the ruckus! I didn't expect to be cheering with-out results for this long though!

1 hour ago, cory40 said:

I was 10 years old and the Canucks we're on there way on a very good play-off run that would see them lose to the NYI in 1982! The very first game I watched with Dada Rodger Neilson had a towel on his stick surrendering. And that's where I cam in to see all the ruckus! I didn't expect to be cheering with-out results for this long though!

What a classic. I was on a flight out of YVR when the pilot came on the intercom as we taxied down the run way to announce that the Canucks had scored against the Hawks. 

Yup the Canucks went thru the Hawks in the '82 CUP run. King Richard stood on his head. The Canucks could easily have won those first 2 games in NY. Great run, almost as good as '94.

Steamer, always the team leader, took a young Linden under his wing and prepped Trevor's for his shot in '94. They used to ride to practice together and talk hockey.  

Moved to Vancouver from Edmonton in 94. Never watched hockey before that... Lived in one of the two large high rises up the streets from the pne. People were going crazy every time the canucks scored during the  playoffs.. People going crazy on their balconies, canuck flags everywhere. It was electric. My family and I decided to tune in and never looked back. Became instant fans.

Late 80s.

Can't pinpoint exactly, but remember as a kid (8 years old or so) listening to games on the radio with my dad and brother.  Also remember those Wednesday night games and Super Saver tickets.  Tony Tanti was my first favourite player.  I also remember hating on Brian Leetch for years because he beat out Linden for the Calder Trophy.  That series against the Flames in 89 cemented my fandom.  The agony of being so close with Tanti, Smyl and the controversy of that goal being kicked in.  Made McLean's stacking the pads and Bure's winner redemption so much sweeter 5 years later.

I also remember with our first computer, but pre-internet, starting up my first Canuck stats spread sheet.  Back then I only had hockey year books from random years to go off of.  I'd scour the books to see who played for the Canucks and enter their stats into the spread sheet, then get current stats from the newspaper.  I finally was able to compile a comprehensive spread sheet when I got the Total Hockey:  The Official Guide to the National Hockey League (best Christmas gift ever!).

I was 14 when the '94 run happened.  I still have the next day game write-ups from the Vancouver Sun for every win in that run stuffed in a scrapbook somewhere.  Looking forward to the next run! 

The very first season was all that I needed,I have been a HOCKEY FAN for more years than I would like to admit.

Played the game and realized the skill it took to be a great player.I JUST LOVE THIS GAME!

So you can probably assume, that all the years of the Canucks and NO STANLEY CUP,THREE CHANCES AND NO CUP,

HAS BEEN A "CRAMP" ON MY BEING A FAN, BUT I HAVE NEVER WANTED ANY OTHER TEAM TO WIN THE CUP BUT THE CANUCKS,

SINCE THEIR VERY BEGINNING.

7 hours ago, Father Ryan said:

Not long after moving to B.C. from Arkansas. I remember seeing a Vancouver Sun front page article, with Harold Snepsts pictured, after the Canucks surprised the hell out of a touring USSR team. I've been a fan since. That was the 1975-76 season.

That was the win over a team called spartak wasn't it .   I think 6-4?

8 hours ago, smithers joe said:

back around 1948. i was 10, the canucks were playing in the whl or the pchl. remember andy bathgate and larry popein before they went up to the rangers. so when vancouver got an nhl team in 1970 i was already on board. orland kurtenbach was our first captain and we had a tough irish d-man named pat quinn. the whl canucks played in the old forum. lots of posts in your line of sight.

I thought I had the best one Joe until you wrote yours...……...

It was 1965, and I listened to the Canucks in the whl, on my crystal radio, with ear plugs so my Mom would think I was sleeping...…..the radio was a red and white rocket ship, that you had to use an alligator clip to ground out the radio properly and the tip of the rocket ship was pulled out slowly to find the right frequency...…...do you ever remember seeing anything like that Joe?

And no batteries!

Archived