The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Habs placed Alzner on waivers

TheRick

28 minutes ago, Baer. said:

He was a top-4 dman in Washington for almost a decade. One bad season on a bad team doesn't make him a plug. And contract doesn't really matter when the Canucks are trying to just stay above the salary floor.

The salary floor is 59 million. Canucks cap is around 72 mil. I dont see how they're trying to stay above the salary floor. That contract is for another 4 years. In that time they will have to sign boeser and petterson to new deals. No way anyone claims that contract

43 minutes ago, Jtutino said:

The salary floor is 59 million. Canucks cap is around 72 mil. I dont see how they're trying to stay above the salary floor. That contract is for another 4 years. In that time they will have to sign boeser and petterson to new deals. No way anyone claims that contract

Ya. I'm not even sure I would trade LE for that contract. Alzner has really regressed. 

I'd do it for Eriksson straight up.  Reason why is I'd rather have that cap space and roster spot freed up on the forward line than on defense, as we have some expiring contracts on defense that will allow Alzner to fit in for awhile as well as a bunch of young kids that may not be ready or available for a couple years (Brisebois, Woo, Tryamkin, Rathbone, Chatfield).  Whereas on the forward line I'd like to see Dahlen come up next year and play with Pettersson.  Eriksson lurking around just takes up that roster spot that cou;ld be filled by Dahlen.  Also, it may help if we put in an offer for Nylander.  We can trade one of our D's and a top prospect for him and he'd be free to take a top 6 role with Pettersson on the right wing.

So in the end we could have two lines next year like this:

Dahlen   Pettersson   Nylander

Goldolbin   Horvat   Boeser

And Eriksson will be gone so we free up the third line for Jake, Gaudette, Sutter and Roussel.  Alzner was a top 4 Dman for a decade in Washington, maybe he just needs a change of scenery.  It's not like Montreal has a great defensive system, they were a bottom feeder last year.  And Alzner is a local boy so that may help his motivation to play his best on his last contract.

3 hours ago, City-in-state-of-emergency said:

With the rate of aging vets getting the waiver treatment of late we could be seeing the next one to hope on the waiver train with sacks load of cash outta town. 

loui-eriksson-2019-39.jpg

Yes, it is a trend.  The whole system is crazy: no money paid to the young superstars in their first couple of years... and mountains of cash for guys who will never perform at their old levels, let alone at the level of the young unpaid stars.   Has to change.

I was part of a union at points in my life.  And I really think the PA needs to be more like a union, a real union.   This would mean that Pettersson gets more money upfront -- because he is an employee performing 1st and 2nd line duty (job descriptions needed lol) and FAs are in a different world.  Not sure if the CAP needs to be dumped, I suspect not.  

24 minutes ago, gameburn said:

Yes, it is a trend.  The whole system is crazy: no money paid to the young superstars in their first couple of years... and mountains of cash for guys who will never perform at their old levels, let alone at the level of the young unpaid stars.   Has to change.

I was part of a union at points in my life.  And I really think the PA needs to be more like a union, a real union.   This would mean that Pettersson gets more money upfront -- because he is an employee performing 1st and 2nd line duty (job descriptions needed lol) and FAs are in a different world.  Not sure if the CAP needs to be dumped, I suspect not.  

The market is correcting itself pretty quickly here.

Top young players only end up on an ELC for 2-3 years (depending on burning a year like all top college guys do now).  Then they are paid full value on their next contracts, rather than the reduced RFA rate they used to get.  You can’t front load it anymore than that because you don’t have a sample size of play to decide a guy’s worth unless ELC contracts were limited to three different 1 year contracts.

Veterans on the wrong side of 30 used to still cash in bigtime, now many of them who are still solid contributors end up on short term low dollar contracts.

26 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'd do it for Eriksson straight up.  Reason why is I'd rather have that cap space and roster spot freed up on the forward line than on defense, as we have some expiring contracts on defense that will allow Alzner to fit in for awhile as well as a bunch of young kids that may not be ready or available for a couple years (Brisebois, Woo, Tryamkin, Rathbone, Chatfield).  Whereas on the forward line I'd like to see Dahlen come up next year and play with Pettersson.  Eriksson lurking around just takes up that roster spot that cou;ld be filled by Dahlen.  Also, it may help if we put in an offer for Nylander.  We can trade one of our D's and a top prospect for him and he'd be free to take a top 6 role with Pettersson on the right wing.

So in the end we could have two lines next year like this:

Dahlen   Pettersson   Nylander

Goldolbin   Horvat   Boeser

And Eriksson will be gone so we free up the third line for Jake, Gaudette, Sutter and Roussel.  Alzner was a top 4 Dman for a decade in Washington, maybe he just needs a change of scenery.  It's not like Montreal has a great defensive system, they were a bottom feeder last year.  And Alzner is a local boy so that may help his motivation to play his best on his last contract.

I love your reasoning, just not sure if Alzner is the guy to go to the wall for.   None of us has seen much of him recently, tbh. 

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

The market is correcting itself pretty quickly here.

Top young players only end up on an ELC for 2-3 years (depending on burning a year like all top college guys do now).  Then they are paid full value on their next contracts, rather than the reduced RFA rate they used to get.  You can’t front load it anymore than that because you don’t have a sample size of play to decide a guy’s worth unless ELC contracts were limited to three different 1 year contracts.

Veterans on the wrong side of 30 used to still cash in bigtime, now many of them who are still solid contributors end up on short term low dollar contracts.

Yes, what you say is how it has to be at the moment.  But this could change with a different approach: shorter contracts mandated for younger players (your sample size point is well taken) but much more in line with what they are actually contributing, i.e., much better paid from the outset.  Some kind of flexibility too, wouldn't hurt: able to increase pay/bonuses, etc., if they perform.  You mention the College situation: this too is a sign of a poor/early system: should be a way to harmonize Major Junior and College.   Not impossible, probably the future in fact.

On 11/23/2018 at 11:04 AM, oldnews said:

I would trade Del Zotto for Alzner - if they were both expiring or had the same term remaining - I think Alzner might make a better (and heavier) partner for Stecher, although he'd almost certainly also join the whipping boy list of CDC - every turnover Alzner would make would become a GDT feeding frenzy.

Alzner is only 27 - so the term remaining wouldn't concern me a great deal in terms of decline - however, we won't need an Alzner imo moving forward.

Edler wants to return (no brainer to keep Edler over Alzner imo - and will likely sign short term deals),  Hutton is regaining his game and could remain a viable depth D, Pouliot is likewise a good candidate as a depth D who can skate, drive play and with an improving defensive game  (these guys are younger, RFAs who will come at better terms than Alzner) - and additionally of course there are Juolevi and Hughes on the way (both LHD).

I don't see a space/fit here for Alzner.    Perhaps if we didn't have a big, physical, solid shutdown guy like Gudbranson (who fortunately is also a RHD) - then Alzner may make a bit more sense, but I doubt Benning would be interested in committing 4x4.625  to Alzner.

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Alzner at 50% retained would look pretty good on the Leafs.  He didn't fit with Montreal but he has still proven he's capable of playing defense at the NHL level, which is something Toronto's collection of pylons can't say.  He'd be an upgrade over anyone they have.

I agree.

But.....If....

Dubas hadn't spent all his allowance already.

Not sure either of these teams have the cap flexibility to get Alzner to Toronto.

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

The Leafs should just do it.

Think now, not later.

Spend the cap now (ala Marleau, Tavares) - Stanley Cup favorites!!! - worry about the rest later.

They're already committed to that path.  With the renewals looming, there's not going to be much room to bring in defensemen who can play after this year.

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

They're already committed to that path.  With the renewals looming, there's not going to be much room to bring in defensemen who can play after this year.

The question is not whether Nylander will beat Dubas.

The question is whether Dubas has already outsmarted himself.

Archived