The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Habs placed Alzner on waivers

TheRick

13 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Yeah what happened to him??  If it's due to lack of foot speed then I'd probably say no thanks unless Montreal's willing to eat half the cap.

Then he could probably still play a bottom-pair role.  

Was with a team and had major success, winning a Cup. 

Signed a big money contract with another team.

New team doesn’t have patience.

New team waives Cup winning player prematurely, possibly ending his NHL career.

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

Alzner didn't win a cup. He played with Montreal last year.

2 hours ago, Me_ said:

Never won a cup, new team gave him all year last year to not be garbage, and if he were worth it a team would have claimed him or made a deal for him. 

2 hours ago, Me_ said:

Sounds awful judgy considering what Vancouver did with Gagne. The bottom line is the Alzner signing was a mistake.  With Weber returning to the lineup and the emergence of Mete last season and Juulsen this season they needed to make a move.  Alzner has been a healthy scratch most of the season even with Weber out of the lineup. 

On 11/26/2018 at 8:39 AM, City-in-state-of-emergency said:

Wasn't he Habs big signing....

Remember ppl wanted him on the Canucks 

Could be a good pick up for someone to stay back and clean up the brown streaks left on the ice. 

Remember when Pierre McGuire was in love with this guy 10 years ago touting him as some potential HHoFer

6 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Habs are playing the same style as the Canucks.  If he doesn't fit there, likely won't here either.

the hockey writers agree with you:

"

What isn’t, and what most analysts correctly predicted, is that’s kind of irrelevant, because neither one of the two was well-suited to play in today’s speedier NHL, especially as both were entering their 30s and exiting their respective primes.

By putting Alzner on waivers likely for the purposes of demoting him to the American Hockey League, Bergevin is effectively admitting the truth. Both to himself and to many of his supporters, who tend to blindly believe there’s some kind of master plan behind every move he makes. It turns out, as Bergevin himself has admitted, he’s not perfect. He makes mistakes. This was a big one."

https://thehockeywriters.com/canadiens-alzner-waivers-bergevin/

2 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Sounds awful judgy considering what Vancouver did with Gagne. The bottom line is the Alzner signing was a mistake.  With Weber returning to the lineup and the emergence of Mete last season and Juulsen this season they needed to make a move.  Alzner has been a healthy scratch most of the season even with Weber out of the lineup. 

not really on the same level tho. Gag's was insurance, no one knew EP would be able to step in at C given he played something like 7 games at C in the SHL. We also got a year out of him (31 pts, not horrible), and some injury coverage this year. Nowhere near the same financial implications either. 

Alzner is basically being buried and not used - at 14+mil in cap hit too. 

Has the game really gotten that much quicker that Alzner no longer can keep up? He had a pretty long Ironman streak prior to this season, so injuries aren't an excuse to suggest he's slowing down. So is it just age or the game has changed that much over the last couple of years (he looked fine in Washington).

I think I'd still entertain the idea of having Alzner at half retained cap. Perhaps Alzner (50% retained) and a 3rd for Gagner?

9 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Has the game really gotten that much quicker that Alzner no longer can keep up? He had a pretty long Ironman streak prior to this season, so injuries aren't an excuse to suggest he's slowing down. So is it just age or the game has changed that much over the last couple of years (he looked fine in Washington).

I think I'd still entertain the idea of having Alzner at half retained cap. Perhaps Alzner (50% retained) and a 3rd for Gagner?

I think a few teams might kick the tires at 1/2 price, including us if it becomes clear Edler isn't part of the future. I wouldn't move a pick as well tho, some kind of player for player deal. 

On 11/26/2018 at 9:27 AM, DrJockitch said:

Alzner for Erikkson?  Two bad contracts, maybe change of scenery for local guy.

Our D could use a tweak and a bit more snarl.  

With this guy and Guddy would have a lot of head punching and not a lot of foot movement.

as was noted above, Eriksson is on a 35-40 point pace

25 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

not really on the same level tho. Gag's was insurance, no one knew EP would be able to step in at C given he played something like 7 games at C in the SHL. We also got a year out of him (31 pts, not horrible), and some injury coverage this year. Nowhere near the same financial implications either. 

Alzner is basically being buried and not used - at 14+mil in cap hit too. 

Alzner is in his second year with Montreal.  He hasn’t been good.  It’s not like they’ve pulled the plug after 20 games.  They need to make room for Weber and have a number of players that require waivers.  Alzner is a casualty of his own play. There are reports Montreal tried to move him prior to placing him on waivers.   If he was still a viable NHL player someone would have claimed him.  And the cap hit to Montreal is $3.6 per year.  Don’t try to make it sound worse than it is by saying it’s a 14+ cap hit.  Round that. Montreal has $8m in cap space even with Alzner counting against them.  If you find low the Habs at all you’d see this was the best move to make.  

4 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Alzner is in his second year with Montreal.  He hasn’t been good.  It’s not like they’ve pulled the plug after 20 games.  They need to make room for Weber and have a number of players that require waivers.  Alzner is a casualty of his own play. There are reports Montreal tried to move him prior to placing him on waivers.   If he was still a viable NHL player someone would have claimed him.  And the cap hit to Montreal is $3.6 per year.  Don’t try to make it sound worse than it is by saying it’s a 14+ cap hit.  Round that. Montreal has $8m in cap space even with Alzner counting against them.  If you find low the Habs at all you’d see this was the best move to make.  

I'm not making it 'worse' thats what the cap implication is. I'm just pointing out that Gagner isn't in the same territory of mistake. 

22 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think a few teams might kick the tires at 1/2 price, including us if it becomes clear Edler isn't part of the future. I wouldn't move a pick as well tho, some kind of player for player deal. 

He was saying they would add the 3rd. Not us.

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm not making it 'worse' thats what the cap implication is. I'm just pointing out that Gagner isn't in the same territory of mistake. 

They’re both mistakes. And both teams can easily deal with the cap implications.  That said, Montreal may still find another team for Alzner.  

1 minute ago, qwijibo said:

They’re both mistakes. And both teams can easily deal with the cap implications.  That said, Montreal may still find another team for Alzner.  

Oh darn, I lost my wallet. Oops, I put my life savings in bit-mining. Some mistakes are bigger than others.  

Archived