The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[RUMOUR] TANEV to toronto

My guess is that if Tanev actually does get traded to Toronto, some people on this website will literally crap their pants when they see the return.  For those hoping for a top notch prospect and a 1st (or even more than that), prepare for disappointment.

8 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

Not too excited about Kapanen- he’s been riding shotgun in the Mathews/Tavares/Marner jovckstrap

but I agree with previous post of kapanen 1st and 2nd

i would do that. 

Considering that the Leafs were offering a 4-7 rounder last year, I think you can keep dreaming.  If we were to get ANY of those three pieces, Benning will have done well.

Seriously, have you watched Tanev play?  He's an ok defence man, but worth Kapanen, a 1st and 2nd?  Come on.

9 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

Not too excited about Kapanen- he’s been riding shotgun in the Mathews/Tavares/Marner jovckstrap

but I agree with previous post of kapanen 1st and 2nd

i would do that. 

If Kappi can play left wing, I would do it too.  Provided we can trade for a d man at the same time.  We don't have enough current depth at defense to trade one away without getting another back either in this trade or another deal.  

We don't get Kappi and a first and second for Tanev.  A pick, but if we get their first, they get our third.  

1 hour ago, Dungass said:

Considering that the Leafs were offering a 4-7 rounder last year, I think you can keep dreaming.  If we were to get ANY of those three pieces, Benning will have done well.

Seriously, have you watched Tanev play?  He's an ok defence man, but worth Kapanen, a 1st and 2nd?  Come on.

The price for a defense man to TO that they can really use and afford is not going to be cheap.  I am positive that JB will be happy to play Tanev until his deal expires than go easy on TO for Tanev.

He isn't a surplus player on our roster, he has great chemistry with Reilly.  He is a TO boy with connections to Tavares. And he is a shot suppression goalies best friend type of d man that TO needs on a great contract.  

They need some meat and potatoes too, but that's easier to get. 

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If this trade happens it will happen at the trade deadline.  Edler could be used in a trade as well at the deadline depending on where we are at in the standings.  I wouldn't take any cap hit back for either player.  And the deal coming back must include a first round pick for Edler and a first round pick plus a good prospect for Tanev.

Agree, with Tanev's health history, nobody will take a chance on him now.  They'll wait at the deadline see if he's still healthy.   So this is JB's gamble, take the best offer now and unload him, or risk he won't be injured at the deadline and get a better offer.    I wouldn't bet on Tanev being healthy in February.

• -SN- changed the title to [RUMOUR] TANEV to toronto
6 hours ago, Brobidus said:

They're going to need to hold onto Kapanen either way. He's a cheap forward for them right now and they need all the ELC's they can get for the next two years.

Except that Kapanen is RFA after this season, and has 21 points in 30 games in his first full season.  Granted that production could slip now with Nylander back, but they are going to HAVE to bridge him, and even that won't be so cheap. 

They may end up like Edmonton this year, having to fill out their roster with minimum salary UFAs.

2 hours ago, Dungass said:

Blotch was the one claiming the offers were like that, but any competitive team in this league takes Tanev for a 2nd or 3rd round pick, let alone a 4th.  And that's exactly why he hasn't been moved -- he's worth more to us than a pick like that.  That being said, he hasn't been great so far this year.

4 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Except that Kapanen is RFA after this season, and has 21 points in 30 games in his first full season.  Granted that production could slip now with Nylander back, but they are going to HAVE to bridge him, and even that won't be so cheap. 

They may end up like Edmonton this year, having to fill out their roster with minimum salary UFAs.

They may have cap troubles like Edmonton but at least Toronto's cap troubles are cause they have too many good players. 

Despite popular believe the Toronto management team is not stupid, they know the need to be able to rotate in youth for a championship quality team.  I just can't see them giving up Liljegren as they are looking at Gardner being a UFA soon and need D anyway.  

I expect the return would likely be straight picks.  Draft in Vancouver, Benning wants extra picks.

Can't see taking on that many years on Zaitsev, with Louis' horrible contract and some other FA overpayments on the roster, we can't take on another albaltross and be able to sign Boesser and EP and Hughes...

Makes too much sense to happen though.

Our annual Tanev to Toronto rumour. Thought we not get one this one. Im about as talked out this subject as any other lol. 

One thing I'll say. Kapanen looks nice but we got Goldie and Dahlen. Not sure either Kap or Goldie with Sutter makes such sense at all.

I'm fine keeping tanman.

16 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Our annual Tanev to Toronto rumour. Thought we not get one this one. Im about as talked out this subject as any other lol. 

One thing I'll say. Kapanen looks nice but we got Goldie and Dahlen. Not sure either Kap or Goldie with Sutter makes such sense at all.

I'm fine keeping tanman.

Irony ? I seem to remember you started most of the 'trade Tanev' threads !

Canucks have a plan, and I believe a part of that plan includes having Tanev pair with Hughes next year when he comes in. They think very highly of Tanev and even though Benning will field calls on him, I have a feeling other teams will try to lowball to get Tanev and Benning will hang up. 

Archived