The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[RUMOUR] TANEV to toronto

7 hours ago, skolozsy2 said:

My guess is that if Tanev actually does get traded to Toronto, some people on this website will literally crap their pants when they see the return.  For those hoping for a top notch prospect and a 1st (or even more than that), prepare for disappointment.

The funny thing is, that we don't NEED to trade Tanev and we have what Toronto NEEDS. We have a pretty good defenseman and Cap space.

We are in no hurry to build a contender as much as Toronto is right now. For those reasons alone is why we are going to get top price for Tanev. If they are not willing to pay, we will retain a veteran dman who can help our up-and-comers anyway. Win-Win situation and I am glad we are in the drivers seat. Give us what we want or beat it Toraunta. :lol:

2 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Except that Kapanen is RFA after this season, and has 21 points in 30 games in his first full season.  Granted that production could slip now with Nylander back, but they are going to HAVE to bridge him, and even that won't be so cheap. 

They may end up like Edmonton this year, having to fill out their roster with minimum salary UFAs.

They have 11 FA's next year and 23 million in Cap space. I don't know if that is even going to cover Matthews and Marner never mind the other 9 FA's, including Kapanen. 

Poor Toronto what are they going to do. :lol:

With where Toronto is in the standings unless it’s a 1rst+ it just makes more sense to keep Tanev. If the deal is there then make the deal as Tanev is older then our future core and probably won’t be anywhere near as efficient when we are ready to compete. He’s our best defender I know but we continually finish in the bottom 5 annually with him in the lineup. Cash out on a kings ransom if it’s there.

1 minute ago, flickyoursedin said:

With where Toronto is in the standings unless it’s a 1rst+ it just makes more sense to keep Tanev. If the deal is there then make the deal as Tanev is older then our future core and probably won’t be anywhere near as efficient when we are ready to compete. He’s our best defender I know but we continually finish in the bottom 5 annually with him in the lineup. Cash out on a kings ransom if it’s there.

I'd rather have a first and two seconds, than take back picks and a prospect.  Many suggest Littlegren, but he's a bustaroo.  I don't know if the Leafs have a prospect we would want?

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I'd rather have a first and two seconds, than take back picks and a prospect.  Many suggest Littlegren, but he's a bustaroo.  I don't know if the Leafs have a prospect we would want?

I agree, I had wanted Liljgren in the past, but I don't know if he's going to make it and is injured again.  Their picks will be low but even a low 1st and low 2nd would be good to set us up for some wheeling and dealing at the draft.

How about

Tanev (gives them some d stability going forward good contract and fits with Reilly) and Granlund (depth to help replace Kapanen's 2 way play and isn't due a big raise like Kapanen)

for 

Horton's Contract(helps them sign their guys), Kapanen and 2019 1st(26-31st)

21 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

I agree, I had wanted Liljgren in the past, but I don't know if he's going to make it and is injured again.  Their picks will be low but even a low 1st and low 2nd would be good to set us up for some wheeling and dealing at the draft.

How about

Tanev (gives them some d stability going forward good contract and fits with Reilly) and Granlund (depth to help replace Kapanen's 2 way play and isn't due a big raise like Kapanen)

for 

Horton's Contract(helps them sign their guys), Kapanen and 2019 1st(26-31st)

Clearing that much cap and having to pay that much salary should be worth way more than this. No way Aquillini allows that to happen without significant rewards.

Tanev is a good fit for the leafs.  Decent cap hit for this year and next (the peak of their current window due to upcoming cap issues) and gives them the top four RH shutdown D they need.

Reilly - Tanev

Gardiner - Zaitsev

Dermott - Hainsey

Depends what they are offering.  I would miss Tanev but we are still building and could use a good winger or 2 or prospects.  The future Canuck D will not be figured out until they know what they have in Hughes, Juolevi, Woo and Rathbone et al - likely  2 -3 years.  Tanev would most likely be gone by then anyways.  I love Tanev but I believe we sell high on him now.  We can always find a place holder for less and add some assets now.

For those thinking Tanev doesn’t have any value... pure rental, over the hill guys like Burrows and Hansen got decent returns.

A top 4 reliable D under club control for a cheap contract is worth something decent like a late 1st round, or a 2nd rounder and a blue chip prospect.

If you retain 50% of his salary, then the price goes up even more for cap strapped contenders.

1 minute ago, Provost said:

For those thinking Tanev doesn’t have any value... pure rental, over the hill guys like Burrows and Hansen got decent returns.

A top 4 reliable D under club control for a cheap contract is worth something decent like a late 1st round, or a 2nd rounder and a blue chip prospect.

If you retain 50% of his salary, then the price goes up even more for cap strapped contenders.

Good point. A team like Toronto is in win now mode given the cap hell they will be facing this offseason. Tanev has a great cap hit for what he brings, and contenders tend to overpay for defenceman near the deadline. Wouldn't be shocked if the Canucks nabbed a 1st rounder for him. 

10 hours ago, skolozsy2 said:

My guess is that if Tanev actually does get traded to Toronto, some people on this website will literally crap their pants when they see the return.  For those hoping for a top notch prospect and a 1st (or even more than that), prepare for disappointment.

It's never a bad idea to temper your expectations.

So...you will be pleasantly surprised.

Or Tanev will not be dealt.

You don't seem to factor/realize the market value of top 4 RHD - particularly an affordable one, for a team like Toronto who really need to uprgrade their right side.

Toronto is in a window with a pending cap crunch - and have very little leverage - particularly after failing to move Nylander and losing the contract standoff.

Toronto's first will be a late / 25-30% chance of becoming a decent NHL asset.

There's literally no way this team deals Tanev unless they get what you believe are disappointing expectations.

2 hours ago, EdgarM said:

The funny thing is, that we don't NEED to trade Tanev and we have what Toronto NEEDS. We have a pretty good defenseman and Cap space.

We are in no hurry to build a contender as much as Toronto is right now. For those reasons alone is why we are going to get top price for Tanev. If they are not willing to pay, we will retain a veteran dman who can help our up-and-comers anyway. Win-Win situation and I am glad we are in the drivers seat. Give us what we want or beat it Toraunta. :lol:

I still remember Toronto (it was Nonis I think) trying to lower the values of our goalies (Luongo and Schneider) so that they can get one cheap.

We ain't giving up Tanev for cheap to those f*ckers.

I think that Tanev has this contract plus 4 years left to be a valuable RD. A late 1st rounder does not even come close to cementing a deal. I'm sure the 'nucks have an idea as to what his intentions are at the end of this contract. Everyone who plays with Tanev improves. Hughes will benefit ! Maybe Juolevi, McEneny or Sautner and if Woo was a LD I could say....Woo too ! Why are so many trying to get rid of one of our most valuable building blocks ? He has huge value staying here !

1 hour ago, erkayloomeh said:

If we don't trade tanev I wonder if he signs with us after next year? It's possible to Lose him for nothing 

Complete hearsay but a little birdie told me he has no plans to re-sign and wants to play out East, closer to home. 

It's not a matter of if but when IMO. 

Then again, who knows... maybe EP40 this year and Hughes next year will make him reconsider his options. But frankly I'd prefer to get value for him if/when we can. If that's this year to TOR with their pressure to compete NOW (though I don't see a lot there in prospects I really want), great.

3 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

I think that Tanev has this contract plus 4 years left to be a valuable RD. A late 1st rounder does not even come close to cementing a deal. I'm sure the 'nucks have an idea as to what his intentions are at the end of this contract. Everyone who plays with Tanev improves. Hughes will benefit ! Maybe Juolevi, McEneny or Sautner and if Woo was a LD I could say....Woo too ! Why are so many trying to get rid of one of our most valuable building blocks ? He has huge value staying here !

Only plays 2/3 of the year, will be getting old by the time we're contending, don't think he plans to re-sign anyway, potential leverage over TOR... Loads of reasons to extract value for him should the opportunity arise/value  bet there.

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Only plays 2/3 of the year, will be getting old by the time we're contending, don't think he plans to re-sign anyway, potential leverage over TOR... Loads of reasons to extract value for him should the opportunity arise/value  bet there.

If we KNOW that he wants to leave, that a different story. I'll take the Missouri option ( show me ! ) on his intentions as I have no little birdie convincing me that he wants to go home. If all we can expect, is one year, then we have to weigh our options. His value mentoring Hughes/ Juolevi should not be undersold ! If he does want to leave, surely JB would be aware of that. Our right side will look abysmal without him.

Archived