The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

About Last Night

NickTheGreek

1 minute ago, kilgore said:

There is no way they didn't have all angles available.  If not, then it really is a Mickey Mouse operation. No, they saw it, and chose not to act. Why is the question.

Perhaps Bettman has given orders that a lot of head shot majors and suspensions made public for those, is not good publicity. So do call the obvious ones, but if you can, avoid calling anything major on the ice, and further if the DOPS can find even a slight brush of the cloth of the other players shoulder before 99% of the force goes into the head, then use the old "principle point of contact" to cover it up. Now to best get away with this, do that more with games played on the west coast, like Vancouver, where games are too late for most viewers in the more populated eastern hockey world.  So there'd be less outcry in general.

But at least we now seemingly have realized we are on our own. And have to take care of it on the ice. That is Bettman's message to us. Can u imagine if we'd let that hit slide again, turn the other cheek and say we'll let the league handle it?  Because then we'd wake up today without ANY payback whatsoever. At least we got our pound of flesh.

I like how Brock went right after the guy who took a run at Petey.  Got him in a good headlock, and then gave him a couple shots to the nose.  

7 minutes ago, tas said:

I'm sorry, but if the angle exists, dops saw it. 

Only if they care enough to dig into it.

This wasn’t a televised angle, I never saw it last night, it surfaced from a tweet.

DoPS made the call really quickly this morning and are too bush league to go back and revise a decision.

I don’t subscribe to the conspiracy specifically against the Canucks, but it is pretty clear there are certain teams where the brass has more sway with the league... and we aren’t one of them.

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I like how Brock went right after the guy who took a run at Petey.  Got him in a good headlock, and then gave him a couple shots to the nose.  

Brock and Petey are good friends off the ice as well. I’m sure Brock was PO’D as a teammate and friend. 

Good to see him get in the mix because he’s not really a fighter.

It's a dangerous, slippery, muddy slope, our team might have to die on.

You wind up giving more slots to unskilled brawn. Teams like TBay don't have to do that. League darlings(there prob are 10-12 teams) get run very infrequently. DPS cracks down harshly, if you touch their stars.

Next the BS media will highlight all your transgressions, ignoring the cases where your guys(like Baertschi, Stecher, Reaves on Edler, etc...) get targeted.

Even at the AHL level, we will see(& have recently) the effects of two rulebooks.

This is the same ol' bullsh** song & dance..been on repeat for yrs. Might be moral victories..but you can't beat opponents AND reffs(over a long period), & this Amero-centric, bullsh**, #riggeddeckleague know this very well.

3 minutes ago, BlueDragon23 said:

Brock and Petey are good friends off the ice as well. I’m sure Brock was PO’D as a teammate and friend. 

Good to see him get in the mix because he’s not really a fighter.

It was very interesting to see. Brock was the first one to approach Paquette after the Pettersson hit, even though he isn't a fighter. That right there is an awesome team mate. Pettersson even looked a little concerned for Brock when he was bent down on the ice, Cirelli kind of holding him there. After a minute I noticed Brock get up, and talk to Cirelli, then Pettersson came in to discuss as well. I imagine Brock was saying something like: "Look, dude, we're not fighters, we score goals. Let's relax, let these other guys sort it out". lol

I also loved the way Hutton came in and started beating on Paquette too, once Brock was involved with wrestling Cirelli. Hutton has really grown on my this year, he's taken a huge step in his development, and it's great to see him standing up for his team mates like that. He's a keeper IMO.

5 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Hell yeah. I truly hope Stecher's okay. Certainly Tampa were the better team from a skill and experience perspective. They proved to be the inferior team from a physical one though, and needed the refs help in saving them from getting beaten down.

Tampa is one of the smallest teams in the league.

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Only if they care enough to dig into it.

This wasn’t a televised angle, I never saw it last night, it surfaced from a tweet.

DoPS made the call really quickly this morning and are too bush league to go back and revise a decision.

I don’t subscribe to the conspiracy specifically against the Canucks, but it is pretty clear there are certain teams where the brass has more sway with the league... and we aren’t one of them.

Actually this angle was shown several times during the game. Just shows the incompetence of the DoPS. 

7 hours ago, Freeridebc said:

Guddy has like 60 plus lbs on that guy... pretty sure it didnt feel nice

I so wish it would have broken his face so that smirk would not have been physically possible 

there is only one way to protect against this and that is for our guys to play with their elbows and sticks up 

and IF we do get a cheap shot answer like last night 

8 hours ago, 'NucK™ said:

Gotta love Guddy's uppercut right to the face of that Tampa plug.

Virt has to learn though if he's going to step in for a teammate and take a penalty he might as well do some damage. Stop being the friendly giant man!! He could learn something from Hutton.  

Huh? Jake was great tonight, what more do you want? Besides a bit more consistency maybe. He’s slowly maturing and turning into a big team guy. I think he still has major potential to be a great pick in that weaker draft. 

18 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

Huh? Jake was great tonight, what more do you want? Besides a bit more consistency maybe. He’s slowly maturing and turning into a big team guy. I think he still has major potential to be a great pick in that weaker draft. 

People forget it was Jake who stepped to the plate first against the Bolts player.  Then Guds came in right after.  Nothing wrong with what Jake did.

8 hours ago, combover said:

Agreed, the more the team fights back the more it’ll put pressure on the league and the refs to make the RIGHT call.

turn the other cheek garbage hockey  lets the refs off the hook and hoping the league does the right thing is a worthless gamble. (Proven once again)

canucks have been a group of push overs for far to long this was nice to see, I won’t lie I want to see more in the third period thou. 

I know I won’t be upset it Tom Wilson ends a TB player in fact I might fist bump a buddy. 

I'm embarrassed to say that I had Pratt on this morning (only for 5 minutes or so) and what he said, is plausible for a change.  Bettman looks after the owners.

If this is indeed what is behind the lack of a satisfactory end to this debacle, then a certain owner needs to get on the hot line.....right Francesco Aquilini?

Even if Pratt is wrong, which he almost always is, Bettman needs some feed back.

And players.......there is a new CBA coming up soon......negotiate something for your own sakes

8 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Oh, and I also think Boeser should get a lot of kudos for standing up to Paquette after his targeted hit on Pettersson. Boeser is not a fighter, but he was the first one to approach Paquette and say "that is not okay". Hopefully more of Pettersson's team mates will stand up for him in the future when an opponent takes a run at him. 

Loved Boeser stepping in there. Huge credit to Hutton too. He saw Boeser was out matched, immediately dropped the gloves, and started feeding Paquette.

10 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Jake's passing and awareness has really improved. He's making plays now and turning into a more complete player. Patience is paying off with Jake.

When Jakey waded into the scrum like a boss , I shotgunned my whiskey sour.

Truly a memorable moment.

Just like the Canucks, CDC is bonding over this watershed moment.

:gocan:

14 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

I agree, he was great.. I think he can be meaner (especially if he's already taking a penalty)..

14 hours ago, MattJVD said:

Loved Boeser stepping in there. Huge credit to Hutton too. He saw Boeser was out matched, immediately dropped the gloves, and started feeding Paquette.

Totally. When Boeser feels emboldened to fight, you know that he knows his team has his back. Glad to see Hutton step in for him and manhandle Paquette. Hutty is a pretty tough cookie. He's held his own against Smith Pelly. While I was on the trade Hutton bandwagon before, I'm thinking he's worth more to the Canucks as a player, than as a trade chip.

22 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think after seeing the fight back from the Canucks, Benning may address this with his next trade/signing. The league doesn't have their back and they will have to fend for themselves.

It doesn't matter what kind of tough guy you have around, he's not on the ice for 60 minutes.

I think Ben Hutton is showing the rest, the way.

It's funny how laid back and always ready for a joke and dance he is but there seems to be a harder side to him (a bit like KB3 but not at Juices level of ass kick)

He didn't win this one but that's not the point. He showed he was prepared to make a opponent pay the price. Gryba is 6'-4" and 228 lbs. Hutton is 6'-2" and 207. that's a difference of 21 lbs.

Then he protects our goalie and fights a guy 16 lbs heavier.

2 minutes ago, smokes said:

It doesn't matter what kind of tough guy you have around, he's not on the ice for 60 minutes.

This is true, but a player like Baertschi is maybe one big hit away from ending his career. Goldobn is ineffective and vulnerable out there, as far as physical play. I really like that Benning brought in Roussel, Beagle and Leivo. Motte is pretty incredible, considering his size and the fight in him. I like seeing the physicality of Gudbranson and Hutton on the backend. The rest of the D is pretty useless as far as coming to the rescue. A player like Ferland, as an example, would be great to have on Pettersson's line. It's kind of bad when your star sniper has to come in to protect the gifted one.   

Archived