The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Edmonton Oilers | Dec. 27, 2018

-Vintage Canuck-

8 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Won a game we shouldn't have after losing one we should have, that's hockey.

Boys scored early and often but man, what a bad game. They'd better buy Marky dinner because they owe him for these two points. He was our MVP.

Why the f---k is it a bad game when we hold a team with some of the best players in the league to 2 PP goals and put four 4 past them? Have you looked at the age of our team? Did you see their travel schedule for the game?

We played f----g great!! - so that makes it a GOOD game in my book. Even Pouliot was decent.

48 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Why the f---k is it a bad game when we hold a team with some of the best players in the league to 2 PP goals and put four 4 past them? Have you looked at the age of our team? Did you see their travel schedule for the game?

We played f----g great!! - so that makes it a GOOD game in my book. Even Pouliot was decent.

I understand where he’s coming from. Mainly that 2nd period was disastrous. The 3rd period was clear they were playing for the win. Very tough game and they all bought in. 

6 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

I think the major part of the reason why Edler and Tanev have been so great all year (other than them being healthy for good stretches) is that the team around them have gotten much better. The recent additions of Beagle, Motte, and Roussel have given the Canucks another shutdown line in case Sutter gets injured. Likewise, we don't have an inexperienced Horvat going up against top opposition like in years past, as this year Horvat has taken that next step in his development. Further, Pettersson is no slouch defensively (*cough*hankanddanny*cough) and can hold his own. Hutton and Gudbranson have finally developed into bona-fide Top 4 defensemen that management was waiting so long on.

lol, you must have watched the Canucks starting from 2015. 

Pre 2015:

1. Hank and Danny don't let the other team get the puck.

2. They are in good position defensively even when the other team has the puck.

3. They back checked.

1 hour ago, khay said:

lol, you must have watched the Canucks starting from 2015. 

Pre 2015:

1. Hank and Danny don't let the other team get the puck.

2. They are in good position defensively even when the other team has the puck.

3. They back checked.

And they had ridiculous plus minuses to show for it. Yes they started a lot in the other zone which does taint the stat a bit, but that wasn’t always the case either and when they were on the second line they held their own defensively as well.   When they lost a step it all changed, you could see them looking like they were trying to hustle back but it looked like they were skating in mud.  The same could be said about a lot of other great hockey players in their last few years.  It will happen to all of them eventually, including Crosby and Bergeron. 

1 hour ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

I understand where he’s coming from. Mainly that 2nd period was disastrous. The 3rd period was clear they were playing for the win. Very tough game and they all bought in. 

Edmonton scored one goal, on the pp, in the second period, I think we have a different definition of "disasterous".

Has Edmonton found anybody past the 1st round?! 

Half of their team are placeholders and long shots. Brutal.

They need to trade some of their high end guys for some meat and potatoes players. Pullijarvi should be traded to St. Louis for Bozak and Bouwmeester. 

30 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Yes I thought he should have been given a good slap for that.

No call on the play either, which likely would have meant Guddy or anyone could have come in and got a free shot (becuase then the refs would have most likely called coincidental minors), and the harder shot the better.   Even McDavid was using his stick against him, no push back from our team against their stars, unless you feel Rousell started it with McDavid but he barely touched him (maybe he was mouthing him off and he reacted?).  Sigh I like the wins, Markstrom and Motte were the biggest difference makers in the game to me, yes Pettersson scored (and a sick assist) so him too.

But it was obvious that for most of the game EDM was pushing harder, driving harder and getting the best chances to score.  McDavid could have easily had four or even five points against “old” Markstrom.  

3 minutes ago, BabychStache said:

They need to trade some of their high end guys for some meat and potatoes players. Pullijarvi should be traded to St. Louis for Bozak and Bouwmeester. 

If Hitch has a say, there will be several soft Macmuffins traded for some real players.  That franchise, considering all their first overall picks, and top five picks is a friggin’ joke.  I love laughing at them.  :lol:

4 hours ago, spook007 said:

Why would you waive Gaudette?

4 hours ago, teepain said:

He has 2 way contract , he is going down . asset management. They will send biega down again . He is the easiest to get by the waivers

His point was he doesn't need to be waived, he goes down without risk.  

A two way contract only applies to how much money a player makes in the minors.

I know he plays for the Oilers but I don't get all the hate on McDavid.  He is just so entertaining to watch.  He does things every night that I have never seen before and does them at such an incredible pace.  

The Oilers are a great team to watch, get to watch best player in the game and come away with a win most of the time.  

Great game tonight, Markstrom was really strong, EP is just magic with the puck.  

Love to see the grinding line out there grinding.

Jake continues to grow at an accelerated rate and Bo is the rock they built this team on.

Great fun to watch this team come together.

2 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

Can't answer your question, but have read a handful of opinions that Troy Stecher is closer to 5'8" than his listed 5'10" !

Stench is short, but he plays like a dog on a bone.  Kid has inner toughness.  Do the Oilers have anyone on their 

D, who is that tenacious?  Nope.  That’s why their team is so terrible.  

2 minutes ago, BabychStache said:

Not really, I’m not sure about Rattie or Chiasson (were they part of minor trades or when they were drafted, can’t remember)... I do know that they’ve been criticized for this by THN when they do their annual draft issue it does a chart of a five year block and how well teams have done compared to each other based on relative draft position. First rounders, especially top ten ones, are usually sure things and with the exception of Yakupov all theirs have worked out.   But nothing really after that.

Vancouver hasn’t done much better until this year under Benning, now that Gaudette looks to have made it and Tryamkin has made it, we’ve got two guys in the show past the first round.  Last year we were a -4 based on relative draft position, this will go up with Pettersson and Gaudette playing.  It’s not perfect but does a decent job of showing how well teams are drafting relative to their peers...EDM was something like a -10.

2 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I know he plays for the Oilers but I don't get all the hate on McDavid.  He is just so entertaining to watch.  He does things every night that I have never seen before and does them at such an incredible pace.  

The Oilers are a great team to watch, get to watch best player in the game and come away with a win most of the time.  

Great game tonight, Markstrom was really strong, EP is just magic with the puck.  

Love to see the grinding line out there grinding.

Jake continues to grow at an accelerated rate and Bo is the rock they built this team on.

Great fun to watch this team come together.

Love watching McDavid too.  Guy is, no doubt, fabulous with the puck.  He’s terrible away from the puck though.  With his size, strength, and speed he should be a great 200 foot player.  

8 hours ago, Cluminati* said:

Got stuck with the Oilers Sportnet broadcast as the only choice on gamecenter. Terrible play-by-play and totally biased commentary as usual. Not sure if it was a national broadcast feed or regional, would be sad if this is how they do things if it was broadcast across the nation. Missed Shorthouse today for sure!

Glad that the ‘guys with the fish on their chest’ (as they put it) stuck it to them Oilers. Go Canucks gooooo!

Oilers broadcast was awful. I was stuck with them, too. They were praising McDavid even when he didn't touch the puck, and there was bias in every movement the Oilers made. It made me very angry. 

Archived