The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Laine's Scoring Slump

Laine looks like has taken a serious step back this year in general. Granted I’m not a Jets fan so I don’t follow the team nearly as closely, but in every Winnipeg game I’ve watched he has looked incredibly one dimensional. In his rookie year he backchecked, competed for pucks, drove plays, etc. This year all I’ve seen him do his float into his designated shooting spot and wait for someone else to get him the puck so he can fling it on net. He’s still a good goal scorer but man having 3 times as many goals as assists has to say something about how you’re playing, and it’s not all rosy. 

Laine is always streaky, but the Jets have the depth so it doesn't affect them as much.

You love his goals when they are in bunches, but he doesn't seem to consistently score one every few games.

He'll be fine, and I expect his consistency to improve as he adapts to the NHL.

Makes what Elias is doing much more special. How tough is it to be consistent in this league. Laine is a special player, I watched both of them at the young stars tourney in Penticton over the years. Elias and Laine where the only players that made the fans gasp for air after shooting the puck. They both rifled the puck at a different atmosphere than any of the other players. Only difference was Elias was with laser precision where Laine missed the net most of his shots>.

30 minutes ago, c00kies said:

Laine is always streaky, but the Jets have the depth so it doesn't affect them as much.

This. It would be a problem if they were relying on him alone, much like the Leafs when they had Kessel.

Laine is an elite scorer who will always have his shot and the ability to change things in a matter of seconds. Thankfully, the Jets have loads of other players who can ease the load.

11 hours ago, Alflives said:

Watching Laine tonight, and he looks kind of slow and lumbering out there.  I wonder if he’s nursing an injury that’s hurting his quickness?  

He's always looked slow and lumbering, at least to my outside eye. I don't watch a ton of Winnipeg games. Seems like the kind of guy that can't create opportunities any other way, like Ovi or Pastrnak can. This guy might get overpaid in a big way. 

3 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

He's always looked slow and lumbering, at least to my outside eye. I don't watch a ton of Winnipeg games. Seems like the kind of guy that can't create opportunities any other way, like Ovi or Pastrnak can. This guy might get overpaid in a big way. 

With Wheeler and Scheifele being way underpaid, the Jets can afford 10 million for Laine.  Star athletes do have egos though, so I wonder what that would do to their room?  I look at Chicago and Pittsburgh; they both paid their stars identical money.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

With Wheeler and Scheifele being way underpaid, the Jets can afford 10 million for Laine.  Star athletes do have egos though, so I wonder what that would do to their room?  I look at Chicago and Pittsburgh; they both paid their stars identical money.

Wheeler's 8.25mil contract hasn't kicked in yet. On a side note will be interesting to see how that looks since he is 33 this summer I am pretty sure. Hopefully Winnipeg can use Wheeler's contract as a benchmark for Laine, similar to how Gillis did things with the Sedins. They were the bar, everyone else fell beneath it. 

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

Wheeler's 8.25mil contract hasn't kicked in yet. On a side note will be interesting to see how that looks since he is 33 this summer I am pretty sure. Hopefully Winnipeg can use Wheeler's contract as a benchmark for Laine, similar to how Gillis did things with the Sedins. They were the bar, everyone else fell beneath it. 

Laine seems like a genuinely good kid.  I don’t think he will pull a “Nylander”, and hold out to get more than he deserves.  

Archived