The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Laine's Scoring Slump

2 minutes ago, Gelinas34 said:

Bure was a few years older when we helped the Canucks on their Cup run and I do not seem to recall him trashing other teams while going about his business. And he actually did something on the ice...for years even on bad knees. Maybe this chump should stick to playing hockey, learning the game and he could be an all around player some day. Or maybe this is Karma. I would laugh and laugh if his 5 goal night was the highlight of his career. IMO I could care less if he is slumping. 

Guess I should stop commenting in this thread :P

Why stop commenting?  Your posts are just as valid as any others.  I think Laine has all the physical tools to be the next OV. I just don’t know if he has it between the ears to be OV.  Maybe Laine is lazy?  Maybe he cares more about winning in Fortnite than about winning at hockey?  

Just now, Alflives said:

Why stop commenting?  Your posts are just as valid as any others.  I think Laine has all the physical tools to be the next OV. I just don’t know if he has it between the ears to be OV.  Maybe Laine is lazy?  Maybe he cares more about winning in Fortnite than about winning at hockey?  

Maybe he is the Finnish Sam Gagner! ::D  (Finnish) Flash in the Pan!! As long as we do not sign him a decade from now!!!

1 minute ago, Gelinas34 said:

Maybe he is the Finnish Sam Gagner! ::D  (Finnish) Flash in the Pan!! As long as we do not sign him a decade from now!!!

Yak got 20 bosks in Year one.  Now he’s done.  I agree with you that Laine (if the kid first accept he needs to train hard, could be a bustaroo.

It's almost like...he's overrated.

I seriously think this guy is.  Not on a Monahan level, but he could get there.  This guy basically cherry picks all the time he is on the ice, never backchecks and is basically invisible out there unless he scores.  He's not a driver, he's a passenger.  If he wasn't on a stacked Jets team he'd have a tough time cracking 25 goals.

He seriously needs to change his game up if I'm ever gonna respect even his stat line, let alone his trash talk.  He should start by grooming himself so he doesn't always look like the ugliest guy in the NHL.

"I think they just needed something to blame after last year," Laine said, an obvious shot at the Canucks' dismal 31-40-11 record from the 2017-18 season. "And we kind of made a deal if we're playing like that, we can give up our PlayStations so we're not going to take them on the road. But I don't think that's going to happen."

Guess what Laine said doesn't apply if the team is winning and he's underperforming.

3 hours ago, rekker said:

Laine with one assist so far in a 9 to 2 thrashing of the Ducks. Is "Laine" Finnish for overrated?

And his 'assist' comes from him losing the puck along the boards before it bounces to his teammate who sets up a nice pass. Hardly worth a point imo

26 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

25 goals in 50 games or so isn't really that bad, just not what was expected with just 35 points but I have a feeling he'll really turn it on in the playoffs.

Considering he had 23 goals 20 games ago it's pretty bad, has 6 points over that span. Not to mention when he isn't scoring he is literally a non factor (or at least not a positive factor) in any other area of the game. If you're Winnipeg this might be a blessing in disguise for negotiations. 

On a side note I wonder how much of his woes is attributed to Ehlers being out. Weren't they regular linemates? 

Laine's scoring slump is an absolute blessing to the Jets team.

Why you ask?

Whether he takes a bridge or full 8 years, it will be $1.5 to $2 million less than he should be getting if he was scoring like he was last year.

He's what?  20?  21?  I'm about as worried with him slumping as I am with Petterson only getting 1 point last night

Boeser is a much better overall player than Laine.  Laine is one dimensional and his stats prove that.  Boeser actually has more assists than goals and is actually a decent set up man as well as a super sniper.  After watching that absolute rocket of a shot last night I am convinced Boeser is one of the best pure snipers in the game and his 200 foot game isn't too shabby either.  

Boeser has the same amount of points as Laine playing 13 less games.  He would have at least 25 goals if he had played all 52 games like Laine, plus many more assists.  Brock would be at close to 50 points right now versus Laine at 35.  

Boeser > Laine

12 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Boeser is a much better overall player than Laine.  Laine is one dimensional and his stats prove that.  Boeser actually has more assists than goals and is actually a decent set up man as well as a super sniper.  After watching that absolute rocket of a shot last night I am convinced Boeser is one of the best pure snipers in the game and his 200 foot game isn't too shabby either.  

Boeser has the same amount of points as Laine playing 13 less games.  He would have at least 25 goals if he had played all 52 games like Laine, plus many more assists.  Brock would be at close to 50 points right now versus Laine at 35.  

Boeser > Laine

Short sample size, comparing a dude in a slump to a guy that is going ok, as well. It will be another 3-4 years before a "winner" can be declared, imo.

I doubt it would happen but I wonder about the possibility of a 1 for 1 Laine for Panarin (if a re-sign is already underway at least) deal... could make sense for both teams, though I don't think the Jets would want to give up their prized #2 overall who lit the league on fire.

Laine is so overrated. Put him on a crappy team with no playmakers and he doesn’t put up very good numbers. He rarely creates offence on his own, isn’t very physical for how big he is, floats and sucks defensively. Best shot and finisher in the league beside’s Ovi but that’s about it imo. If a contract year can’t motivate him to put in more effort, I don’t know what will. 

7 minutes ago, Elias_Pettersson said:

Laine is so overrated. Put him on a crappy team with no playmakers and he doesn’t put up very good numbers. He rarely creates offence on his own, isn’t very physical for how big he is, floats and sucks defensively. Best shot and finisher in the league beside’s Ovi but that’s about it imo. If a contract year can’t motivate him to put in more effort, I don’t know what will. 

He reminds me of a young Brett Hull.  Hull could score, and now he’s in the HHOF.  As long as Laine keeps scoring goals, he’ll be fine. If this slump is teams have figured how to play him ... ?

13 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

25 goals in 50 games or so isn't really that bad, just not what was expected with just 35 points but I have a feeling he'll really turn it on in the playoffs.

Last year in the games that mattered he was not playing well enough to be invisible.

Archived