The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Oilers are all in on getting help at forward

The_Rocket

Puljujarvi is young and has elite potential. I would be 100% in on trying to trade for him. We are obviously not going to get him for scraps, since many teams are likely looking at him as a target. Maybe something along the lines of Goldobin/Pouliot for Puljivarvi. Edmonton receives scoring help and a relatively young D, we receive high potential high risk. IMO would a well worth while trade on our end, but doubt it is enough to get it done. Maybe we can add in a Lucic/Eriksson element? a lateral swap gives both players a change of scenery. Van gets some more toughness, while Edmonton gets a player who plays the right game defensively.  

1 minute ago, shayster007 said:

Puljujarvi is young and has elite potential. I would be 100% in on trying to trade for him. We are obviously not going to get him for scraps, since many teams are likely looking at him as a target. Maybe something along the lines of Goldobin/Pouliot for Puljivarvi. Edmonton receives scoring help and a relatively young D, we receive high potential high risk. IMO would a well worth while trade on our end, but doubt it is enough to get it done. Maybe we can add in a Lucic/Eriksson element? a lateral swap gives both players a change of scenery. Van gets some more toughness, while Edmonton gets a player who plays the right game defensively.  

I think Poolparty is a bustaroo.  He either produces points, or hurts his team, because he can’t contribute in any other way.  

I like the Lucic for Errikson swap though.  Then Milan rides shotgun for Petey. 

Just now, Alflives said:

I think Poolparty is a bustaroo.  He either produces points, or hurts his team, because he can’t contribute in any other way.  

He's also 20. Not saying all top 5 picks are cash in the bank, but quite frankly I would be more then willing to take a risk on that kind of potential. I was high on him in the draft year and fully believe he will still pull it together and become a top 6 forward. Would love to see that happen on any team besides the Oilers.

I've watched Puljujarvi and he has McDavid speed and he's also got some size and a good shot. He's a young player still learning. Not sure EDM is the best place to learn though. I suspect that if he's traded to another team, he'll become a star, like Hall.

Just now, shayster007 said:

He's also 20. Not saying all top 5 picks are cash in the bank, but quite frankly I would be more then willing to take a risk on that kind of potential. I was high on him in the draft year and fully believe he will still pull it together and become a top 6 forward. Would love to see that happen on any team besides the Oilers.

The Oilers do have a way of killing potential in their young guys, that’s for sure.  Was that the Matthew Tkachuk draft?  If so, the Oilers really missed.

That fake news trade for Wayne Simmons would’ve helped them short term. Talbot hasn’t been as good as Koskinen, he’s a ufa, and he would make 4m cap space room . 

The problem is they are not a playoff team , and it is very detrimental to a teams future to load up at the trade deadline when you’re on the outside looking in.

12 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

How much of an upgrade is he on Virtanen tho? Interestingly both have a .27 pts/game avg, both are big, R hand shots, both come with speed and I'd say Jake comes with more physicality.

Not sure how much I'd really want to give up to Edmonton tbh for the difference between the two, if there turns out to be any. 

2 hours ago, johngould21 said:

Babcock for one, has always had strong rosters to work with, Anaheim, Detroit, Olympic teams, and now with Toronto on the cusp. They aren't a strong team by any stretch of the imagination, defense and goaltending are their krypton. He's been gifted some pretty good draft picks, actually pretty lucky draft lottery picks, so lets just see if he can get this team to a cup, before I call him a great coach. In their prime, I'd take Datsuyk and Zetterberg over Matthews and Garner. Toronto doesn't have anyone near a Lidstrom on that defense. I'm with you on this rekker.

Cheers. And on that note. Babcock was annointed best coach in the world by Toronto media. How many Jack Adam's? Zero. How many cups? One. Frig, I hope to see them blown out in the first round again.

7 minutes ago, smokes said:

How insane is this you got McDavid, Draisaitl, Lucic, RNH, Puljjarvi, while the best D is Larsson and Nurse? Forget going for a forward, I'd see if I can pull a first round draft pick and Puljujarvi for Parayako and a 2nd.

interesting idea, seems like an overpayment a bit tho. A top 5 pick and a likely top 15-18 pick for CP? you'd be banking on Parayko getting better which is probably a safe bet but thats a lot for a guy with (in his career so far) OK scoring numbers. Maybe JP and a 2nd? 

Puljujarvi's value has definitely gone down.  Until he actually shows some NHL star potential, its going to keep dropping.  Look at it this way, in a re-draft, he easily drops to 9th at best (probably worse tbh).  And his stats over 35 games this year are crap on any team, let alone a team with McDavid.  I wouldn't want him here if it meant trading a core player or a legit prospect.

28 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

How much of an upgrade is he on Virtanen tho? Interestingly both have a .27 pts/game avg, both are big, R hand shots, both come with speed and I'd say Jake comes with more physicality.

Not sure how much I'd really want to give up to Edmonton tbh for the difference between the two, if there turns out to be any. 

At this point he is not an upgrade, I think Virts game has come a long way. But I would love to have both on the team?

1 minute ago, BobbyClarke said:

Puljujarvi's value has definitely gone down.  Until he actually shows some NHL star potential, its going to keep dropping.  Look at it this way, in a re-draft, he easily drops to 9th at best (probably worse tbh).  And his stats over 35 games this year are crap on any team, let alone a team with McDavid.  I wouldn't want him here if it meant trading a core player or a legit prospect.

Part of the problem is management. They send him down to the AHL and he plays 3-4 games and scores a few goals and they bring him right back up. The yo-yo effect is killing him. Then comes back up to be coached by Hitch who is an absolute dinosaur and buries him on a checking line after he doesn't score on his first shift. It really seems like management and the coaches are not on the same page with this player.

3 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

At this point he is not an upgrade, I think Virts game has come a long way. But I would love to have both on the team?

sure but at what cost? I just hate the idea of doing Chiarelli a favour too. 

But yeah a right side of Boeser, JP and Jake looks very nice. 

22 minutes ago, rekker said:

Cheers. And on that note. Babcock was annointed best coach I  the world by Toronto media. How many Jack Adam's? Zero. How many cups? One. Frig, I hope to see them blown out in the first round again.

Like how a Toronto / Boston series would play out? 

3 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

Part of the problem is management. They send him down to the AHL and he plays 3-4 games and scores a few goals and they bring him right back up. The yo-yo effect is killing him. Then comes back up to be coached by Hitch who is an absolute dinosaur and buries him on a checking line after he doesn't score on his first shift. It really seems like management and the coaches are not on the same page with this player.

I'm not sure who has a longer shelf life, Hitchcock or Carlyle?

53 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Lucic would need a jet pack attached to his behind in order to keep up with Petey and Brock...

57 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Puljujarvi is young and has elite potential. I would be 100% in on trying to trade for him.

With the systemic player development issues in Edmonton, the player's union needs to step in and get him out of there.  Need to facilitate a trade wherein he gets to where he can properly develop his skills, in exchange for quality despondent players in Gagner, Schaller, and MDZ who are unable to get ice-time in the NHL.  All grievances can thereby be rectified and labour peace ensured.

Hitchcock will give the Oilers a no BS assessment of what they have and what they need. No idea what the hierarchy is in Edmonton but it isn't good. Kevon Lowe must still be running things. Maybe it is the owner? Even my diehard son is hedging his bets as I push the legend of Petey on him at every opportunity. 

Archived