The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Braydon Schenn

Provost

Word is he could be available, what would the Blues be looking for in return.

He is having a bad year, but is a super competitive consistent point producer who can play all forward positions, but is listed as LW.

He is signed for this year and next, so would be a stopgap until we can get someone in the organization long term.

Any of Goldobin/Sutter/Tanev/Granlund/Gudbranson? Not sure what their needs are.  They aren’t rebuilding and not a playoff team.

3 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Id rather wait for free agency and go after a couple players without losing assets. Try to sign Ferland and Myers while trading Guddy, Sutter and Granlund.

I'm in on all you plan, but not trading Guddy.  We need him.  

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Ya Im up and down on trading Guddy, but this D group needs a shakeup and Edler, Tanev, Hutton and Stecher appear to be going no where. Id say trade Tanev but he would be an ideal partner for Hughes or Juolevi.

Edler-Stecher

Hughes-Tanev

Hutton-Myers

McEneny-Biega

14 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Ya Im up and down on trading Guddy, but this D group needs a shakeup and Edler, Tanev, Hutton and Stecher appear to be going no where. Id say trade Tanev but he would be an ideal partner for Hughes or Juolevi.

Edler-Stecher

Hughes-Tanev

Hutton-Myers

McEneny-Biega

I think OJ is on our team by Christmas 2019, and playing useful minutes.  I think we only saw OJ truly healthy when he was drafted.  After that, he's been injured, and trying to play anyway.  I wonder how long this last knee injury was bothering him?  Reports said only a couple weeks, but I'm thinking he just didn't say anything before that, because he wanted to play through it, and not get sat out.  When he's fully healthy again, I think we see a very good top four guy.  

48 minutes ago, Provost said:

He is having a bad year, but is a super competitive consistent point producer who can play all forward positions, but is listed as LW.

He is signed for this year and next, so would be a stopgap until we can get someone in the organization long term.

Goldobin and Sutter?  Not sure what their needs are.  They aren’t rebuilding and not a playoff team.

Not sure where you get your facts from. 

StL has played the least games of any team in the west wild card race, they are also the hottest. Not hot, just hotter than the rest.

With 2 games in hand on Van, if the next 10 games go the same as the last 10, they would be tied.

How does that make them "not a playoff team" and who said they were rebuiling?

And if they were rebuilding why would they want a foundational dinasaur and an underperforming whipping boy?

StL has a pretty favorable schedule down the stretch, including 10 games against teams they are chasing.

Beyond that why is it every time the Canucks pick a guy up CDC wants to trade for his brother?

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I think his days are numbered here.  Ranked at or near the bottom for full time D in the NHL.  Dead last in several advanced stats!  His size has only led to a few good hits in 50 games.  He performed his best when Edler and Tanev were out, and him and Hutton were taking the bug minutes.  Hutton was great in this stretch too.  The wrap on Guddy is that he is almost completely dependent on his partner to have success.  That is not good.  His +/- has been plummeting for the past month, and although its not the be all end all analysis tool... its pretty telling in this case, as this free fall has happened while he was in a non line matching, non shut down role.

Team needs a shake up on D.  Whether or not that starts at the top with Baumgartner (I advocate for this), Gudbranson and Pouliot taking a flying leap, is probably the next stage.  Whether or not this happens this season, or in the summer, is up to Benning.  I'd like to see him get traded for a pick or prospect, and given a chance to do whatever his thing is, elsewhere.

42 minutes ago, lmm said:

Not sure where you get your facts from. 

StL has played the least games of any team in the west wild card race, they are also the hottest. Not hot, just hotter than the rest.

With 2 games in hand on Van, if the next 10 games go the same as the last 10, they would be tied.

How does that make them "not a playoff team" and who said they were rebuiling?

And if they were rebuilding why would they want a foundational dinasaur and an underperforming whipping boy?

StL has a pretty favorable schedule down the stretch, including 10 games against teams they are chasing.

Beyond that why is it every time the Canucks pick a guy up CDC wants to trade for his brother?

I didn’t say they were rebuilding... I said they weren’t.

They have a 26% of making the playoffs.  That is based on remaining schedule and strength

It is based off a story from TSN, not randomly wanting a brother.  My facts are pretty well established... as opposed to your random musings.

Go have a misinformed rant someone else. 

http://www.tsn.ca/1.1249964.1548955886

https://www.hockey-reference.com/friv/playoff_prob.fcgi

27 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Isn't Schenn a Top 6 C? Not having a great year, but he's scored 25, 26 and 28 goals the previous 3 years. Canucks need a top 6 winger.

He plays all three positions.... mostly LW and centre.

The fact he can be a LW and also play C in case of injuries makes him pretty ideal for us.

https://www.nhl.com/news/flyers-deal-brayden-schenn-to-blues-for-jori-lehtera-picks/c-290097928

I don't know. I'd rather we get someone of the same value on defense first and give players like Gaudette and MacEwen a chance. We've focused a lot on our forward group. That's my opinion anyway.

Although it would be pretty funny to have both Schenns in the system after hearing so many proposals to get both a few years back.

15 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I don't know. I'd rather we get someone of the same value on defense first and give players like Gaudette and MacEwen a chance. We've focused a lot on our forward group. That's my opinion anyway.

Although it would be pretty funny to have both Schenns in the system after hearing so many proposals to get both a few years back.

I think we need a top 6 LW and a top 4 RHD with some offensive skills pretty equally.

If you could swap Tanev+ for a LW

then swap a couple of our middle 6 forwards+ for a top 6 LW... I think we would be pretty well set 

3 hours ago, Provost said:

Any of Goldobin/Sutter/Tanev/Granlund/Gudbranson? Not sure what their needs are.  They aren’t rebuilding and not a playoff team.

I'd rather see picks or prospects come our way and open up a spot for Gaudette.

24 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

He’s having a slow year but put up 70 points just last year. They ask for Hughes. They’re not gonna take a combination of okay players like you’ve suggested. Quality is better than quantity. The price will be too high and for futures that he probably isn’t on the radar via trade.

Quality better than quantity - good life philosophy unless you are a horny teenager, you are counting the number of $50's in your pocket or the number of voters  you get if running for office. 

Archived