The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Discussion: Playoffs or Lotto Pick

Seannnp

Playoffs or Lotto Pick   

124 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 2/18/2019 at 11:54 PM, 40Dangles said:

Fleeced in a deal in which he had one team to trade Kesler to? Lol Kesler demanded a trade to one team champ. Lol

Garrison? Who? That guy who isn’t reporting to the AHL and didn’t do anything for Tampa? Ya cool stories man. Anyone who watches hockey knows Elder means more to this team than a guy like Garrison. How you respect players who’ve played their careers here matters. Also Garrison was known to be willing to move back to Tampa , look it up http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=76396

you really need to work on the defense of your arguments, they are baseless lol. I also find it funny you critisize Benning for failing yet he moved an overpriced piece of crap who’s slow and out of the league for a second rounder lol. But I’m an “apologist”. By any means if you look at Garrisons production since that deal it was a marvellous trade, second rounder plus 4.5 mil in cap space lol.

Hope you learn more about hockey soon! Keep watching it will come!

Lol clueless apologist calling my points baseless? Look at your post bro.  Benning could have easily gotten Theodore but insisted on replacing Kesler with Bonino when it wasn’t necessary to replace him in the slightest for a rebuilding team. 

You need to learn more about hockey. Scratch that, you need to learn more about everything it seems.

On 2/19/2019 at 8:41 AM, TheGuardian_ said:

Garrison, he was a top free agent dman, took a hair cut to come to Vancouver, close to home, Nanaimo BC.

"When it all kind of happened I was shocked and I didn't want to go anywhere else. I only signed here two years ago and wanted to be here the whole time for sure," Garrison told Team 1040 AM in Vancouver.

"The Jason move was we're trying to get a little bit younger on the back end, so Luca gives us youth on the back end," Canucks general manager Jim Benning said on a media conference call. "And going into free agency we wanted to free up some money to be in the game on some of these free agents come July 1."

Benning said the Garrison and Kesler trades didn't mean the Canucks were entering a rebuild.

"We acquired players that we thought are going to have an impact on us winning next year," he said. "We've been talking about bringing in some good energy guys that are going to work hard and compete hard physically and he's going to do that for us. So that's kind of why we did it, to help our team. If it was going to be a rebuild then maybe we wouldn't have tried to fight so hard to get players that can come in and help our team win next year."

New general manager Jim Benning will consider approaching players to waive no-trade clauses to help re-tool or re-build the team. Benning believes the club is close to getting back to the playoffs, so it’s probably a re-tool for now.

So Benning has asked and traded cause contract players

Benning felt 29 was too old and should be replaced for younger dmen.

Apparently Chicago was also a team, Benning must not like Chicago, that is two times he had possible deals.

Shhh. That clueless apologist is going to come up with some baseless excuses why Benning chose Bonino and Sbisa when we could have for sure gotten Theodore or Vaatanen.

100% positive Anaheim would have no issue having getzlaf, Kesler, and Bonino down the middle for their playoff run but the apologists will say something like The prospects not ready for their run were not available because of Kesler or something sad like that.

5 hours ago, King Heffy said:

He was disinterested in the WJHC playing for his country?  That's a red flag for me regarding compete level.

I don’t think he lacks compete. He apparently is a rink rat like EP and a fitness. He supposedly trains, trains, trains, and trains. Sounds like crosbitch actually. You have to be pretty motivated to have a rocky regimen.

Surprised he isn’t bigger though if he works out that much.

12 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Lol clueless apologist calling my points baseless? Look at your post bro.  Benning could have easily gotten Theodore but insisted on replacing Kesler with Bonino when it wasn’t necessary to replace him in the slightest for a rebuilding team. 

You need to learn more about hockey. Scratch that, you need to learn more about everything it seems.

Cool story little guy, you'll be removed from the site shortly. Get well soon, and enjoy your time back on HForums

The window is open, Chicago, LA, Pitts all had cups when their stars were in their early 20's, Toews/Kane - 21/21, Malkin/Crosby - 21/22, LA - Doughty/Kopitar - 22/24

BH/BB/EP - 23/21/20 already and the team needs 4 more dmen and two forwards, another 3 years. That is why there is talk about McDavid's years being wasted already.

We are barely staying in the race with teams like Arizona and Detroit...and somehow people think the rebuild is done! Give me another top 5 pick this year (and maybe next) and then I’m all for us making a playoff push. 

But going to the playoffs, getting kicked in 5 games, then drafting a kid we won’t see for another 4 years at the 20th pick, and coming back the next year with the same team...not sure how anyone sees that as positive! 

No one can convince me 5 playoff games getting destroyed is more beneficial than adding another Pettersson level player to this team. 

We should be mourning if we make the playoffs by some stupid miracle. Basically will just set us back like it did under WD. 

On 2/15/2019 at 1:16 PM, debluvscanucks said:

I don't dwell on one or the other and have a 'whatever will be will be' attitude towards it all.

I LOVE wins and know that boosts this team's confidence and makes the game fun for them.  That's huge to me.  So I prefer they don't go on extended losing skids, as their mental game will suffer and they will start overthinking things.

With that, I take consolation in the losses...that something good can come of them.

Playoffs would likely be a fairly early exit and/or injuries as teams get away with murder against us.  It will increase a great deal and, even with these guys firing on all cylinders, they'd be targeted in a bad way.  I'd rather they work into that gradually but hey, if they make it let's see how far this thing takes us.  Nothing's a given and if they can stay healthy, they have as good a chance as anyone.  The skill and speed are definitely there...it's the punishment that will go unnoticed by the league that concerns me.  Until that end of it's fixed, it's a worry to me.

Ahhhh Deb, there you go being smart again..

Wish more folks saw it like that, but alas, the "win it now" thinking at ANY COST to the future still reigns supreme as always is still around. Thankfully JB doesn't think like that...

On 2/18/2019 at 5:23 PM, Tomatoes11 said:

I wouldn’t trade Horvat unless we were massively overpaid for him. Anyone older than him should be fair game though. Unlike the benning Apologists, I think there are plenty of 2nd and 3rdsavailable and I actually think Edler would have landed us a first if we were smart enough to trade him when he was playing really well right before the injury, NTC or not, I don’t think it’s that hard to get someone to waive.

Anyways, it’s too late now. Sigh...

You think Edler would get us a first with his lengthy list of injuries? Is there a GM out that stupid not to factor his age and that into it? 

6 hours ago, iceman64 said:

You think Edler would get us a first with his lengthy list of injuries? Is there a GM out that stupid not to factor his age and that into it? 

2 years ago Martin Hanzal got a 1st, a 2nd, a 4th and a prospect.

Terrible trades do happen.

This is what I love.  It's late February.  There's only 22 games to go and they are pushing for a playoff spot.

I don't mind if they just miss the playoffs, as long as they go down trying.  Last thing we want is a culture where losing is OK.

Incemental improvements will lead to a contender in the coming years.  I've waited this long.  A few more years is nothing.

The number of people around here that seem to want us to turn into the Oilers is astounding.

"Oh, we need a couple more years of high picks THEN we can compete!"

In a couple more years Bo will be pushing 27 and will be "over the hill" based on how many people value players.  What then?  Back to square 1?

4 hours ago, Crimson said:

The number of people around here that seem to want us to turn into the Oilers is astounding.

"Oh, we need a couple more years of high picks THEN we can compete!"

In a couple more years Bo will be pushing 27 and will be "over the hill" based on how many people value players.  What then?  Back to square 1?

Well the team is still far away. Pettersson & a terrible Western Conference is masking that but the team still isnt that good.

I think we should try for next year but Benning is going to have to have a banner offseason to turn this team around. 

I see a massive hole on the wings after Boeser & idk how on earth Benning is going to address it if not from the draft. This year is a good draft for forwards & theres a tier of players after Hughes/Kakko that could be very good if u dont win the lottery. But they will likely be gone when a playoff team picking 16+ is up to select.

If Benning hadnt blow assets earlier trying to remain competitive somehow, specifically Gudbranson, maybe we'd have another younger player on this roster, but we dont. And what are the expendable assets we have now to make a trade that moves the needle? 

Even if we make it this year. This team could easily miss the playoffs next year. Just like New Jersey. 

On 2/18/2019 at 11:35 AM, TheGuardian_ said:

Quality for quality. Can't make wine with potatoes.

The future has to be considered and upgrades require decent quality and quantity.

Benning has done absolutely nothing to speed up a rebuild, not one thing. Most of this group will/should not be on the team in 3 years but Benning could easily extend this rebuild until Horvat is 27 by doing exactly what he is doing now, nothing. What has he done that has speeded up the rebuild? What extra players of the skill level of the top three kid forwards? Sven is a 13 goal a year guy and 26 with issues.

The silver lining, because he has done nothing improvement is very slow and them team gets better lottery odds for the next two drafts and thenhis contract runs out so the new guy comes in with a warehouse of too many prospects as assets for trades, probably 6 top ten draft picks and vets to trade for players and a mess in the contract/cap department, handcuffed by 8 clause contracts.

But the next two drafts are critical.

I agree that he has done nothing to speed up the rebuild , Thank goodness for that. Thats how teams get into trouble and really end up setting themselves back. Trying to be impatient worrying about their job rather than building the team. We need Jim to continue to be patient, keep his draft picsk and find us another Petterson or Boeser or maybe a couple more D men. I am satisfied with where we are at this time. The players are coming. Sven is done. The concussions have gotten him and now its time to move on.

The next 5 drafts are critical. Keep drafting great players from whatever position we are in. Quinn Hughes will be here later this season. Juolevi maybe next season and Woo the season after that. Its coming but i hope we dont try to "speed up" anything

Benning tried and i admire taking the chance - but he traded away picks so we could still lose for a few years.  The whole rebuild on the fly failed.  That is why this team isn't already playoff bound.  We are paying for those years now...  i dont mind - it was worth seeing the attempt, but it certainly wasnt good hockey.

real question:  how many more years of losing?  It could turn around next year if we get another influx of prospects making the team.  Gotta replace the older vets - its a young persons game now more than it ever has been.  Eriksson looks completely finished - he cant skate like he used to.  Sutter has looked terrible.   And gud should be better than he is - i dont remember him being so awful in Florida - but guess we dont see many of their games....  those 3 anchors are doing kore harm than good imho.

im going out on a limb and suggest we make the playoffs in 20-21.  That will be 5 straight years missing the playoffs under JB - not sure he will be around to reap the benefits of some of his drafting....  

Call me crazy but I think the team should trade either Hutton or Stecher, not both, just either one of them at the deadline when there is some value in them.

Other than that I don't see who else on the team has any trade value (not talking about Horvat, EP40 and Boeser here) and improve us down the road.

Thanks Islanders for the reality check, with all the talent on the team (Big 3, Marky, Hutton/ Stecher, certain other wingers) this team doesn't come close to beating a true playoff team, esp. not with the injuries plaguing the team at the moment. 

WITH THE INJURED GUYS HEALTHY we stand a pretty good chance, but with the current roster, barring Hughes being the next coming of Bobby Orr or a miraculous return of all the key injured guys, the depth just isn't there to win.  Kids like Gaudette will continue to grow into their own and have their moment, but to think that now is the time for actual success in 

image.jpeg.803e517f79c2e8959df363ed1b297505.jpeg
That's just asking for too much.  Next season, when Petey has a full season under his belt and can probably take his game to another level with training, plus Hughes and Gaudette hopefully become prominent mainstays, and a UFA or two is signed in needed areas (RHD, top-6 winger) then we should really look to compete.  

Lotto pick. This team isn't ready for the playoffs. Not even close. 

Edler also needs to be traded. I love the guy, but when you consider the return that he could get looking at what teams have traded so far it absolutely has to be done. We've blown too many trade deadlines by holding on to guys that should have been traded. Make it clear to him that you want to re-sign him in the summer if need be, but he needs to be traded this week. 

Archived