The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Senators trade Matt Duchene, Julius Bergman to Blue Jackets for Vitali Abramov, Jonathan Davidsson, 2019 1st-round pick, conditional 2020 1st-round pick

15 minutes ago, brian42 said:

Columbus will be good if they hold onto the 3 star UFAs but that is so risky imagine all 3 sign else where plus now they traded away prospects. 

Confirmation bias guy says the Islanders are doing just fine without Tavares and nothing to show for him.

The NHL is getting closer and closer to the NFL style salary cap where you just cut your fading stars and move on. OFC the system is buoyed by draft picks being starters from day one but I think that most of the NHL is just scared to let their rookies play prominent roles out of the gate. The old mentality of 'they're not ready and need to learn the game' is hogwash and needs to go away.

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [Trade] Senators trade Matt Duchene, Julius Bergman to Blue Jackets for Vitali Abramov, Jonathan Davidsson, 2019 1st-round pick, conditional 2020 1st-round pick
5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Phew, he DID manage to squeeze at least a first out so there's that I guess.  If Duchene does re-sign this deal doesn't look so bad.  Just Jack Hughes or Kaapo Kako for a 1st, 2 nobodies and a possible extra first.

So worth it.

Not to mention Turris and whatever else they gave up to get Duchene in the first place.

It makes no sense to me that teams would agree to conditional 1st rd picks on the basis of that player re-signing with his new team. New team will be less motivated. If there is going to be any condition, make it based on playoff performance. Teams aren't going to sacrifice playoff performance to retain picks, but they might be willing to forego re-signing a guy to retain picks. 

Archived