The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Senators trade Matt Duchene, Julius Bergman to Blue Jackets for Vitali Abramov, Jonathan Davidsson, 2019 1st-round pick, conditional 2020 1st-round pick

Stone will get about the same return as Duchene. 

I am not sure why people are saying Stone is a level higher than Duchene as it is not true. They are both first line players. Just watch them.

Plus, look at their numbers.  Stone with 62 points in 59 games and Duchene with 58 points in 50 games. Duchene has a higher ppg than Pettersson. 

Silly narrative.

57 minutes ago, J-P said:

I also like this for Ottawa and I'm impressed how quickly they've embraced their rebuild and how far they've come within just one season. If only some other organizations had played it like that ;-)

Yes, Ottawa is who we should be trying to emulate.

They're embracing the rebuild because of the toxic dumpster fire they've created.  They're a loooooong ways a way from few mid/late 1st round picks making any difference. 

3 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Plan the parade?  

Smarm aside, I hope the Sens do pull off the scorched earth look some people wanted in Van and we can see how it turns out.  Easy for me to say as it's years away from fruition, but I'd be willing to concede if they somehow turn it around in "better" (faster, more sustainable, higher achieving) than the slow-and-steady way we've gone about it.

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

I'm curious 

With Duchene suiting up tonight and the Jackets also playing tomorrow if this could be a let's see what they do moment regarding Panarin.  if they click do they keep Panarin, if they don't seem to generate any chemistry before Mondays TDL is that the go ahead to make some sort of hockey or futures trade with him?

kekkalainen isn't the GM I would think to rest on this.  His past moves show him to be willing to do just that, 2 game trial then go for it or make the move

interesting thought, but I think CBJ is all-in. This is a franchise that really needs a series win. 

15 minutes ago, stawns said:

rookies don't, that's my point.  They might be able to skate a little faster, move a little quicker, maybe a little better with their stick, but, imo, hockey hasn't been this scrambly in the 45 years I've been watching it.  Kids have skills, no one would deny that, but they don't have the experience and patience that vets have.  The standings pretty much bare that out too......the contending teams are almost exclusively teams with solid veteran cores.

Yet the LA Kings are a veteran laden team in the toilet. So it goes both ways.

I am not saying your wrong anyways. The NHL salary cap has forced teams to over pay for players which is forcing younger guys into the league sooner and I don't see this is a bad thing. Sure the game is different now but it changes all the time.

I cant recall his name but I remember hearing an interview with a former player who said he used to come to training camp to get in shape for the season. Now if you show up out of shape, you are off the team. In Canada, we have a top notch grassroots development system. The kids are learning NHL systems as early as possible. They are more ready to play than before and are going to have to be thanks to the salary cap implications. The patient route is going to be gone sooner than later IMO.

4 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

I am not saying your wrong anyways. The NHL salary cap has forced teams to over pay for players which is forcing younger guys into the league sooner and I don't see this is a bad thing. Sure the game is different now but it changes all the time.

I cant recall his name but I remember hearing an interview with a former player who said he used to come to training camp to get in shape for the season. Now if you show up out of shape, you are off the team. In Canada, we have a top notch grassroots development system. The kids are learning NHL systems as early as possible. They are more ready to play than before and are going to have to be thanks to the salary cap implications. The patient route is going to be gone sooner than later IMO.

you might be right, but it's not good for the game, imo.  The league might be more skilled, but it's not better hockey.  

The Kings have been decimated by injuries to their vets, same as Van.  Look at the standings......other than the Leafs, all the playoff teams are veteran teams, with some youth injected into support roles.  The teams on the outside looking in, are mostly teams who have gone to the "youth first" movement and are struggling with consistency. 

The achilles heel of that is that if you have any kids who have success, they are paying them like established vet stars and are pricing themselves out of contention.  Teams who have young stars are only giving themselves a very short window to be successful.  IMO, the slow, sustainable build, is the only way to have consistent success

15 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

The patient route is no longer possible as those young players are not going to stick around unless they get paid and the team is successful.

Those young top players are not looking for bridge deals anymore.   They will reach free agency earlier and have their choice of teams.  Also they are no longer willing to subsidise veterans when they are more important to the success of their team - teams are going to be caught at the cap much faster.

It's more likely that they do like Matthews than McDavid.  Matthews will be a UFA in 5 seasons and he'll be able to negotiate another high contract (with salary cap increasing) and can chose his destination.  Windows are going to be shorter as the better players are more likely to do like Tavares/Panarin and test free agency.  

3 hours ago, coryberg said:

So if they keep Bob, the bread man and Dutch for a run and lose all 3 does CBJ become the new Ottawa?

So it is a curse that you pass on via exchange of first round draft pics.  Scary.  Whatever you do don't trade with CBJ they may pass it on to you.

54 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Good culture and people in CBJs.

He might like it. 

Torts is good culture?

11 minutes ago, mll said:

The patient route is no longer possible as those young players are not going to stick around unless they get paid and the team is successful.

Those young top players are not looking for bridge deals anymore.   They will reach free agency earlier and have their choice of teams.  Also they are no longer willing to subsidise veterans when they are more important to the success of their team - teams are going to be caught at the cap much faster.

It's more likely that they do like Matthews than McDavid.  Matthews will be a UFA in 5 seasons and he'll be able to negotiate another high contract (with salary cap increasing) and can chose his destination.  Windows are going to be shorter as the better players are more likely to do like Tavares/Panarin and test free agency.  

That is not proven true > Tampa in fact says opposite. 

Both in the context of retaining their stars. And in having an ongoing flow of youth on ELC's to fill out the team at low cost. So many in fact, they could trade for guys like McDonough, and further afford his cap.

Archived