The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Senators trade Matt Duchene, Julius Bergman to Blue Jackets for Vitali Abramov, Jonathan Davidsson, 2019 1st-round pick, conditional 2020 1st-round pick

12 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

He’s a point per game player with elite skill. I think OTT good have done just a little better. Not to mention he’s a #1 centre. 

It's hard to get a better deal if nobody is offering one.  There's no way to know what other offers were on the table unless some GM spills the beans.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What if Duchene's cancerous attitude spreads throughout the CBJ locker room, and their team misses the playoffs?  Then, that 1st rounder becomes a lottery ball, and the Sens win the first overall pick!  It could happen!!!:shock:

The pick is lottery protected (top-3)

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is that why the conditional 2020 first?

AFAIK, the 2020 is conditional on if they sign him. So I imagine, if they sign him AND win the lottery, there is some sort of agreement to get the 2021 1st instead of the 2019? Not sure though.

EDIT - Now that I saw the post above, I'm sure. ::D

5 minutes ago, Xbox said:

Now there's a team that I didn't expect to be buyers. Like most I had them as one of the major sellers.

Guess that means Panarin and Bob are not being moved either. I really thought Panarin would have been traded.

Nothing is stopping them from trading Panarin still. Could make a 'hockey trade' as they call them.

33 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

He’s a point per game player with elite skill. I think OTT good have done just a little better. Not to mention he’s a #1 centre. 

Great player. Not top tier in my opinion. IE Stone is top tier. Duchene is a player that would help any team but I dont think he is a player you build around. A first and two prospects, a possible second first for a rental is pretty good. 

4 minutes ago, Xbox said:

Now there's a team that I didn't expect to be buyers. Like most I had them as one of the major sellers.

Guess that means Panarin and Bob are not being moved either. I really thought Panarin would have been traded.

It's possible that CBJ is not liking the offers for Panarin and Bobrovsky.  They also need to start making hay in the playoffs and adding Duchene should help with that.  I am somewhat surprised that they managed to hold on to Wennberg in the deal as I would have thought Ottawa would want to have a roster player coming back.

Duchene gives CBJ two legitimate scoring lines now and allows them to drop Wennberg or Foligno (also a former Senator...) into a 3rd line C role.  CBJ added a great piece in Seth Jones by trading Ryan Johansen and they have been blessed to see Dubois emerge as a solid top-6 C.  Even then, the team has struggled with depth at C for a long time so this trade should help them make a run this year.

I don't know if I would say that CBJ is now a favorite but they're way more dangerous than they were before the trade, especially if this trade sparks a guy like Werenski.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

But its not for nothing, its for a playoff run. I think most GMs would prioritize success in the playoffs vs collecting future assets, particularly if the conversations so far have produced trade return offers that were underwhelming. 

yeah, some people don't seem to get what the actual goal of an NHL team is

Archived