The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Erik Gudbranson to Penguins for Tanner Pearson

HerrDrFunk

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Gudbranson is a hot mess of a player. Moving him for a bag of pucks would have been a win.

I admit he struggled.i guess I’m more choked at jb’s whiffing on the whole thing....and the fact that we have become the softest team in the league again.

2 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Didn't need to wait almost 3 years to realize it was a mistake.

It was a mistake from second #1, completely baffling move from the start that never should have been made.

Would be nice to have Debrincat or Kyrou right now (not to mention McCann or maybe a draft pick in his place, which he should have been traded for).

I agree. The fact he admitted a mistake at all though gives me hope,faint as it is, that this management group can dump Sutter at the draft or in the summer.

And maybe even Ericsson (pipe  dream)to a team that needs to get to the cap floor. 

Pearson is a 2 time cup winner. Heavy guy who could fit with Horvat's style of North South game.

Spooner-Petterson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Leivo

Roussel-Gaudette-Eriksson

Granlund-Beagle-Motte

14 minutes ago, naslundfan921 said:

So when Virtanen comes back, Spooner goes down to Utica to take Dahlen's spot and when Hughes' College season ends he comes in to theoretically take Guddy's spot. That's roughly the roster math right?

Roster limits are lifted at the TDL.  Spooner is not going to the AHL but the pressbox might be an option.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, JamesBlondage said:

Good job JB, glad to see he finally gave up on the Guddy experiment. The guy simply could not move the puck out of his own zone. Hated seeing him on the ice. Sure he punched out Travis Hamonic but really who cares?? And to be able to get some potential scoring depth in return, Jimbo did okay as far as I am concerned...

I think many of his haters are just that Lames and Coiler fans who hate him for making their tough players irrelevant!

16 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Gudbranson has 3 fights all year. I really don't think we're much softer now than we were before.

Fighting is only an element of toughness, players also turned down fights with Gudbranson too. And fighting is down league wide. 

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

"Guddy" was barely playing 12 minutes a night.

Are you kidding me?!

Edler is supposed to be back soon anyways.

Team tank baby.

Just saying with Edler and Tanev being out, at least he brought some experience compared to DP, Biega, and the other guys. Not that it'll make much of a difference anyway I guess, with how dismal our D has been overall anyway. It just feels like a weird time to trade him, although I don't anticipate his play/value rebounding.

Edler back soon? I haven't heard anything. Also with Hughes coming up soon... that does make Gud more expendable and he should be bottom pairing at best on our D when healthy anyway. Glad to get Pearson out of him for sure. But God does it hurt seeing Pouliot-Biega as a second pairing.

1 minute ago, Gäz said:

Just saying with Edler and Tanev being out, at least he brought some experience compared to DP, Biega, and the other guys. Not that it'll make much of a difference anyway I guess, with how dismal our D has been overall anyway. It just feels like a weird time to trade him, although I don't anticipate his play/value rebounding.

Edler back soon? I haven't heard anything. Also with Hughes coming up soon... that does make Gud more expendable and he should be bottom pairing at best on our D when healthy anyway. Glad to get Pearson out of him for sure. But God does it hurt seeing Pouliot-Biega as a second pairing.

It’s only temporary. The Canucks have pretty much eliminated themselves from the playoffs the last 2 weeks with dismal on ice performances. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Gäz said:

Edler hasn't been in a full practice yet, but has skated with the team 3 times now.

2 minutes ago, Pickly said:

It’s only temporary. The Canucks have pretty much eliminated themselves from the playoffs the last 2 weeks with dismal on ice performances. 

Exactly!  Keep Edler and Tanev on the sidelines, and tank us to a top 4 pick.  Maybe keeping Guddy for the stretch (tank) run would have been better?

• Cheers 1

We could trade-tree backwards to calculate Gud cost us a 1st(McCann) but I don't feel this way. He helped provide a little safer environment(despite his own health issues) as some of our youth got started.

Bennings drafting(like Gaudette, Madden) in the depth rounds, has allowed us to lose some value in a few deals. These kind of talented kids should more than make up for whatever McCann might have done.

Even carrying Sutter & Pearson cap-hits today, is better than having to deal with Kesler's current albatross deal.

So we've simply recycled a few waves of vets(at relative cap-cost), as the team ultimately gets cheaper, & makes space for a wave of incoming(developed) youth.

This is all good.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Pickly said:

I know, but it just feels like that shouldn't happen on any team, ever. It's unnatural. It's offensive even (in the bad way, of course). And yes, I do agree there. The way this team is trending, tank nation will be happy at least.

1 minute ago, aliboy said:

Edler hasn't been in a full practice yet, but has skated with the team 3 times now.

Well that's positive at least. 

I think Rutherford is trying to arm his team for a potential clash with Washington (if they make the playoffs)

He gave up a first rounder for Ryan Reeves (who didnt last long there) and last year he traded for Oleksiak..two guys that were supposed to insulate Pittsburgh skilled players from the Washington style of play.  I think he is suffering from the same complex JB had after Ferland dismantled our D in the 2015 series.  JB , like most of the fan base, was embarrassed and thought we had to get big in a fast way.  Guddy and Tryamkin were supposed to be the answer.

Edited by Darius
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, CanuckleHorse said:

I think many of his haters are just that Lames and Coiler fans who hate him for making their tough players irrelevant!

I can't speak for everyone but I hated the fact he couldn't get the puck out of his own zone!! I don't care how tough you are if you're stuck in your own zone all damn night...