The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Erik Gudbranson to Penguins for Tanner Pearson

HerrDrFunk

3 minutes ago, gizmo2337 said:

Apparently we got fleeced?

NHL Insider Ricky Bobby @tracegerrett 2m2 minutes ago

NHL Insider Ricky Bobby Retweeted Bob McKenzie
Pittsburgh absolutely fleeced Vancouver with this deal. Erik Gudbranson is one of the best depth defenseman that you can find on the market today. Brilliant move by GM Jim Rutherford. #NHLTradeDeadline #LetsGoPensNHLpenguins.png #CanucksNHLCanucks.png

Uhhhhh wut....?:blink:

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, buddhahoodlum said:

You do understand as Canucks fans we're all different people? Not everyone views a player the same. Guddy was a poor defenseman as many have pointed out. But as others have stated he was one of our few tough guys. Why is that so hard to figure out for some people?

For a supposed tough guy he didnt do jack **** out there on the ice.

I'm not typically hard of players. But Gudbranson was a complete and total failure in Vancouver.

For every hit he through he was on the ice for 10 goals against

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Whorvat said:

We don't have a single player able to step up against the Getzlaf's anymore.

Hope Canuck nation is as happy about this as they seem to be. I surely am not.

Yeah we are going to have to address that. I thought the team already needed a bit more toughness with Gudbranson so now its definitely a concern. But the defense needs to be retooled & this is a great starting point for that.

Gudbranson's play/value has been declining & now we get a winger that can play with Horvat out of him. To me the positive outweighs losing the toughness pretty easily. 

I said some less than good things about Guddy's game in this thread, but I do hope he turns his game around in Pittsburgh. I like Guddy. He's a good guy, good leadership. He just didn't look good here. Whether because of injuries or whatever. I don't see him leaving hurting us too much, but I will miss seeing him. He always seemed like a good guy. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

Yikes I'm more worried about Petey now tbh, there is absolutely no one on this team now that can intimidate the other team from taking runs at Petey. 

Opponents coaching game plan....

Do whatever you can to get under Petterssons skin take a run at him if you want, don't worry no one on the Canucks will do anything to stop you, they definitely won't be able to hurt you back.

8 minutes ago, gizmo2337 said:

Apparently we got fleeced?

NHL Insider Ricky Bobby @tracegerrett 2m2 minutes ago

NHL Insider Ricky Bobby Retweeted Bob McKenzie
Pittsburgh absolutely fleeced Vancouver with this deal. Erik Gudbranson is one of the best depth defenseman that you can find on the market today. Brilliant move by GM Jim Rutherford. #NHLTradeDeadline #LetsGoPensNHLpenguins.png #CanucksNHLCanucks.png

Let’s revisit this after a while :)

I actually think it is a good move, he just wasn’t working out here and it was a big sample size.

In Pittsburgh, maybe he helps them if they make the playoffs as he “should” be better in the post season.

3rd pairing D are the spots you want available for your kids to come up and compete for.  Having Gudbranson there in their way wasn’t doing anyone any good.

• Upvote 2

I can already see this board whining when we play tough team and they take liberties. Even if he didnt fight as much as some of you had hoped doesnt mean he didnt challenge people. You cant just start throwing punches in this new NHL. 

From what I saw when he grabbed a guy from a scrum most often that player would calm down immediately when they saw who grabbed them. 

Thats the intimidation that will be missed.  Its a shame he couldnt get his defensive game together during his time here. Hope nothing but the best for the guy. 

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I said some less than good things about Guddy's game in this thread, but I do hope he turns his game around in Pittsburgh. I like Guddy. He's a good guy, good leadership. He just didn't look good here. Whether because of injuries or whatever. I don't see him leaving hurting us too much, but I will miss seeing him. He always seemed like a good guy. 

I think this played a big part in his so called ineffectiveness with the Nucks. When we first got him and he dummied Kassian in a fight and then made Matt martin answer the bell for his Stecher hit he made me a fan of his style. I believe he had back issues and I think that played a part in his lack of phsical play - although he did drop the mitts with Getzlaf a little while ago. Moving him and picking up a reclamation project like Pearson is a great move by JB. Saves a bit of cap and if Pearson can find his scoring touch this might turn into a steal. Wishing the best of luck to Guddy :)

3 minutes ago, DooBie604 said:

I can already see this board whining when we play tough team and they take liberties. Even if he didnt fight as much as some of you had hoped doesnt mean he didnt challenge people. You cant just start throwing punches in this new NHL. 

From what I saw when he grabbed a guy from a scrum most often that player would calm down immediately when they saw who grabbed them. 

Thats the intimidation that will be missed.  Its a shame he couldnt get his defensive game together during his time here. Hope nothing but the best for the guy. 

Guddy didn't stand up for anyone like he did last year, that was his one job.

59 minutes ago, Virtanen The Great said:

All the people saying they're stoked for this. He was our only tough heavyweight we had to stick up for our young stars. Roussel cant do it all bu himself. I would have kept gudbranson 100%

Same as when Dorsett was the lone guy having to deal with anything physical and I remember him talking about that and how happy he was when he finally had help in that area 

• Cheers 2