The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jonathan Dahlen to Sharks for Linus Karlsson

Just now, babalu said:

Just because he asks for a trade doesn't mean you have to trade him. Thought he deserved a look with EP considering our lack of scoring. Not happy with this trade.

Thats how you get a evander kane situation going on. You cant force a player to want to stay hostage to a city. Other players better ones will see EP an want to play with him. 

Just now, babalu said:

Just because he asks for a trade doesn't mean you have to trade him. Thought he deserved a look with EP considering our lack of scoring. Not happy with this trade.

This is kind of my thought as well. He's an RFA for a long time, there's no rush to kick him out the door unless management thinks that he also has bad character issues. Wanting out doesn't inherently make Dahlen a bad person or entitled. But clearly there's some behind the scenes things we aren't privy too, but I think we should have held onto him a little longer. With that said as I learn more about Karlsson I am not overly upset over the deal.

2 minutes ago, babalu said:

He didn't deserve anything. He flat out wasn't playing that well in Utica. Very on and off in the consistency department.

Jasek passed him on the depth chart, I think.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

we moved a guy out who didn't want to be here, for another promising young F. Its lateral. Its not worth complaining over. We'll have to wait and see. But Dahlen wasn't exactly ripping it up in Utica either. 

Gradin has been an great scout for us, so if he's thinking this is a good move thats good enough for me for now. 

Ya that is what i posted, if anyone here thinks they know better than Gradin... they have been huffing too much glue lately.

• Haha 1

Ask yourself... what have we learned from players "requesting" something. I'm thinking Hodgson, McCann, Tryamkin....

Then again, maybe add Josh Leivo to that list :blink:.  Depends on circumstances.

JB wants players that want to be here and earn their way. Dahlen may yet turn out great, but if he doesn't want to put the effort in, what good will he be if he bolts to Sweden?

• Upvote 1

Really don't like this trade. I'll admit Dahlen is one of my favourite prospects, so of course I'm biased, but still don't get the rationale behind it.

Also - the difference between this trade and say Shinkaruk is that Dahlen is a player the current regime aquired, so any flaws in his game or character falls on them.

Time will tell and JB has actually made very few bad trades, but having a hard time with this so far.

You can't bring a kid up just because he wants to be in the nhl. That is not the kind of personality you want to have in a dressing room. If Karlsson is a solid prospect then I say It was smart. I said in another thread that Karlsson is listed as a high character player. Maybe he is another Gaudette. He also has 50 penalty minutes in 40ish games.

You never have enough centers.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, babalu said:

Because keeping a player that is asking a trade is good for the organization.:picard:

• Upvote 1

Just now, CanuckGAME said:

What a complete tool Dahlin is.  He probably would have made this team next season if his attitude wasnt so piss poor.

You are basing this off zero information we have about the situation outside of "his agent asked for a trade". For all we know he just sees a log jam of forwards and wants to be in a better situation. I don't know anything about Dahlen, not enough to start name calling him. I imagine you also don't know a ton about him.

1 minute ago, BananaMash said:

He didn't deserve anything. He flat out wasn't playing that well in Utica. Very on and off in the consistency department.

Jasek passed him on the depth chart, I think.

Yet we gave goldy chances even though he hasn't lived up to expectations. Thought we could have given him a look. Hell, we even gave ahl fodder spooner a look with EP.

5 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

What a complete tool Dahlin is.  He probably would have made this team next season if his attitude wasnt so piss poor.

I think everyone is brushing over that we have had TWO prospects that wanted out of Utica this year

Palmu and Dhalen, so there might be something else going on in Utica

Edited by shad0w4life
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, babalu said:

Ya you do. That’s why the New England Patriots are so Successful. Belicheck doesn’t tolerate me first type players. If Dahlin didn’t want to buy in and know his role than get rid of him. 

• Upvote 2

At first I was mad at this trade, but after hearing what’s come out it makes sense. Dahlen obviously thought he was ready for the nhl, but the Canucks felt differently. I watched some Utica games this year and he did not look ready, and was very inconsistent. Have to trust Gradin on this one, apparently he wanted him in last years draft

• Upvote 2

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

we moved a guy out who didn't want to be here, for another promising young F. Its lateral. Its not worth complaining over. We'll have to wait and see. But Dahlen wasn't exactly ripping it up in Utica either. 

Gradin has been an great scout for us, so if he's thinking this is a good move thats good enough for me for now. 

Gradin was the scout for dahlen too. 

I just don’t see any gain with this, it doesn’t add anything at any level. 

They were very high on dahlen and for good reason.they gave up on him very fast. 

Its like I’m not hoping the new kid doesn’t work out we need any and every pick and prospect we have to work out at this rate. 

I just don’t see why they make this deal,  if a a defensive prospect was coming back it would be more understandable.

Jimmy  I like discussions with you,  they are discussions even when I disagree.

To many people take instant offence with others that feel differently. 

if you like this deal or can understand it then great I just don’t see any value at this point. 

• Cheers 1