The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tanner Pearson | #70 | LW

-Vintage Canuck-

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, Muttley said:

Look at this. Very strange. 17 /18  and 21 / 22. go figure.

https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/tanner-pearson-player-stats?category=faceoffs&seasonType=reg

The more he take the faceoffs, the better he is. 
i saw put him on one on one drill against Horvat, he will learn fast. 

Edited by deus.ex.makina
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, deus.ex.makina said:

too bad he can't switch to C.

we would get our defensive 3C 

Didn't he play a few games as a C when the team was getting decimated by covid?

He might not be a faceoff ace but he would probably be an improvement over Dickinson if told to start practicing. 

On 7/12/2022 at 8:50 PM, -AJ- said:

I was a huge proponent of the fact that Pearson was seriously underrated in 2019-20, but he fell off a cliff in 2020-21. He bounced back nicely this past year, but I still think he's not what he was in 2019-20 and posting a two-year old highlight package only emphasizes that.

Regardless, I like Pearson on the team and think he's a very solid 3rd line guy who doesn't look out of place when put on the 2nd line for stints.

that 2019-20 year was an anomaly

he scored 6 empty net goals

If he did that for 4 years he'd be top 20 in the league, Like Sebastion Aho, 6years 22 EN goals

if he did it for his whole career he's be up there with the Great One for the league lead

but he did it once,

and he scored 3 more even strength goals in 19-20 than he did last year, so yes better, but not much better than 2021-22

his +/- was better in '22 (I know, people hate that stat) and he played consistently on the most effective line in '22, no matter who he was playing with.

I think 2022 was an "unsung hero" type season, while 2019-20 was a "Can't miss the empty net" type season

he did seem to score a lot of tip ins in the 2019-20 highlite package that maybe he did not get in 2022, so maybe he was playing a more net front game in '19-'20

he is getting older though, so a permanent drop may be coming

• Thanks 1

On 7/12/2022 at 8:50 PM, -AJ- said:

I was a huge proponent of the fact that Pearson was seriously underrated in 2019-20, but he fell off a cliff in 2020-21. He bounced back nicely this past year, but I still think he's not what he was in 2019-20 and posting a two-year old highlight package only emphasizes that.

Regardless, I like Pearson on the team and think he's a very solid 3rd line guy who doesn't look out of place when put on the 2nd line for stints.

I like Pearson 30, 6'1, 200 lbs - 3.25 million X 2 yrs - Solid 200 foot game - lack of speed and hands are not the same.

With this Canuck roster Pearson could be on 4th line making 3.25 million X 2 years.

Positive side with injuries Pearson can move up and not hurt team with good defensive game just lacks the offence now.

Pearson played lots with Miller last season - GP 68- G 14 - PTS - 34 

1. Garland 26 - Petey 23 - Boeser 25

2. Podkolzin 21- Miller 29 - Mikheyev 27

3. Kuzmenko 26 - Horvát 27- Hoglander 21

4.Pearson  30- Lazar 27 -- Dickinson  27--- Joshua 26, 6'2 -205 Grit, toughness - Lockwood 24, 5'11 - speedy

On 8/22/2022 at 10:08 AM, -AJ- said:

Alas, he's even worse at faceoffs than Petey at a career average of 39.5%.

he'd be our defensive C

what better way to play defense than without the puck?

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Muttley said:

Listen to the homer broadcast crew...:picard:

IS the color guy still Denis Potvin?

great player in his day, but brutal broadcaster

Weegar pushes Tanner in for the second bump  "What? I didn't see that"

If it wassn't Potvin, the new guy learned from one of the best..haha

• 4 weeks later...

Tanner Pearson now in 84th in all-time Canuck scoring with his assist tonight.

83.  Mike Walton C 115 44 69 113
84.  Tanner Pearson LW 210 54 57 111
85.  Trent Klatt RW 313 51 60 111
86.  Russ Courtnall RW 141 39 72 111
87.  Sven Baertschi LW 225 58 52 110

Pearson brings a very solid all round game when he's playing his best.  Friday night he did so many little things well.  Positioning himself on the half wall to provide an outlet and break the pressure in the defensive zone, he had a nice goal, he fore-checks well and throws hits.  I like how he managed all of this while playing 4th line and 2nd unit PP.  This is the kind of play we need from the bottom six, but in Pearson's case he can play all up and down the line.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

• 5 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

As much as Pearson has been a decent player for the Canucks, IMO, he will be moved at the trade deadline. His cap space could be better utilized on a younger player or for draft pick(s).

Prior to this season, I would have sided against this happening. Yes he takes a chunk of cap, but given his playing style and the fact he could pot a point every other game, it wasn't a bad deal. But this season, he's hurt the team more than he has helped it. His last game was truly brutal.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1