The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Utica crisis, and the inability to retain/ develope our top end draft picks

cuporbust

1 hour ago, cuporbust said:

Comets’ head coach Trent Cull preferred to play AHL veterans like Cam Darcy, Carter Bancks, and Brendan Woods ahead of Palmu and also ahead of the likes of Kole Lind (11 games) and Jonah Gadjovich (16 games). You could argue that prospects can still develop while playing limited games thanks to extra attention at practice, but the Canucks’ decision to send Palmu back to Finland to get more playing time would completely dismantle that argument.

This is a problem, but hey lets all waive pom poms instead 

Its a competition, sport.

In our case hockey. But lets call it a fight game? There are tryouts. Palmu gets his ass kicked. But we give him a spot on the team. Instead of, say, Roussel? 

Coach comes in. OK boys, Our first brawl is Tuesday...

Have we done Palmu any developmental favours? The team??? 

18 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

No matter how you look at it,

not really true, from the get-go.

the player they acquired has to be given the opportunity to prove that's he's as good a player in due course - so that way of looking at it clearly requires you postpone the assumption that the deal was a "mistake".

Secondly, Benning's comments that Dahlen wasn't particularly happy not getting a recall (one I don't think he earned yet and have to agree with the franchise's decisions to recall other forwards who clearly by production standards earned their recalls and seem to have more complete, NHL-ready games) seem fairly corroborated, despite Dahlen's denial, by subsequent comments of his own.

1 hour ago, cuporbust said:

K. Palmu is mediocre and being developed well. Got it. 

I like palmu and think he's got an outside chance of being an NHL player.  That said, he was a late round pick for a reason and though he was the RoY in Liiga, it goes to show you how good the AHL actually is.  Had he been patient and put in the work, like Lind and Gadj, he likely would have been rewarded with increasing mins and responsibility........like Lind and gadj.  

That said, I have no issues with players developing in Europe if that's the best place for them.   However, he's got an uphill battle ahead of him.

On 3/6/2019 at 11:27 AM, Winter Soldier said:

Gaunce is exactly where he needs to be. There isn't a place for a guy who is defensively responsible but scores once a year.

Gaunce has more goals for us than Schaller in 33 fewer games. But hey, what do I know about belonging in the NHL?

BRING BACK THE MINUS!!!!!

Dahlen has an entitlement problem,

Palmu is the longest.of shots and Trymakin never played a game in Utica.  

We have had two ROTY level players on our roster right now in the past two years, Hughes is going to sign asap and Gaudette has basically graduated Utica.  

OJ is injured.  Nothing to to do.wirh Utica.  

So basically a 21 y/o second rounder is on his third organization and has done very little at the AHL level and that's an organizational problem???????

Palmu wasnt good enough to get playing time and went back to Europe and we have a crisis!!!!!!!!!!

Trymakin never played in the AHL... WTF man!!!!!!!

&^@# we have some lemmings on this board.... can we get an IQ test to join for now on please.... 

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Gaunce has more goals for us than Schaller in 33 fewer games. But hey, what do I know about belonging in the NHL?

You'll note that he hasn't actually been playing in the NHL either.

6 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

You'll note that Schaller is not in the AHL where all the one or no goal scorers are like the person I was actually talking to says they should be. 

Team needs a 13th F. I'd rather it Schaller sitting in the press box not playing than Gaunce, who can still improve by playing in Utica.

The argument that  Palmu, Dahlen, and maybe others, like Gadj and Lind, just aren't good enough,  actually does not service their overall argument that everything is peachy keen, and we don't need no more stinkin draft picks, or that it wouldn't make any difference.  Because attaining more draft picks, increases the odds that you will actually find more gems in the mix. So that we don't have to be biting our nails and moaning as much if these two players don't work out.

6 minutes ago, kilgore said:

The argument that  Palmu, Dahlen, and maybe others, like Gadj and Lind, just aren't good enough,  actually does not service their overall argument that everything is peachy keen, and we don't need no more stinkin draft picks, or that it wouldn't make any difference.  Because attaining more draft picks, increases the odds that you will actually find more gems in the mix. So that we don't have to be biting our nails and moaning as much if these two players don't work out.

We have 9 picks in this years draft and still time to acquire more. Literally no one is arguing against getting more picks. So that narrative doesn't work either. 

How many JB picks have made the NHL. 5 years now I think. 

Virtanen  

Gaudette

Demko

McCann

EP

Boeser 

Forsling

Tram

Off the top of my head. 

Wonder how that relates to rest of GMs

JB has been ranked at or near the bottom of 31 GM rankings.

I think cpl years ago he was ranked the worst.

And another time  near the bottom.

I think his drafting is OK. Nothing great but not bad. Above average id say.

2 big misses with Virtanen and O.J. but 2 big wins in EP and Boeser. 

I think where JB lacks is roster building.  He can't put together a good roster. For what ever reason he's terrible at UFA signings. 

43 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

How many JB picks have made the NHL. 5 years now I think. 

Virtanen  

Gaudette

Demko

McCann

EP

Boeser 

Forsling

Tram

Off the top of my head. 

Wonder how that relates to rest of GMs

JB has been ranked at or near the bottom of 31 GM rankings.

I think cpl years ago he was ranked the worst.

And another time  near the bottom.

I think his drafting is OK. Nothing great but not bad. Above average id say.

2 big misses with Virtanen and O.J. but 2 big wins in EP and Boeser. 

I think where JB lacks is roster building.  He can't put together a good roster. For what ever reason he's terrible at UFA signings. 

Calling Juolevi a miss is premature wadr. 

13 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Calling Juolevi a miss is premature wadr. 

It's not when you watch out of market games. He might make it as top 4 Dman I  a couple of years but that doesn't mean he was better puck than Tkachuck.

Tkachuck in CGY and Sergachev in TBL are miles ahead. 

Now JB isn't expected to always hit on picks. But Tkachuck was the player to take that draft. Sergachev maybe not because of Russian factor but he missed. 

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

It's not when you watch out of market games. 

Tkachuck in CGY and Sergachev in TBL are miles ahead. 

Sorry disagree, players develop at different rates and he’d be further along without injury setbacks. Flat out calling him a miss at this point is still too soon, and I do watch out of town games. 

I can appreciate other players picked and not s*** on ours if they don't pan out right away. 

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

Sorry disagree, players develop at different rates and he’d be further along without injury setbacks. Flat out calling him a miss at this point is still too soon, and I do watch out of town games. 

I can appreciate other players picked and not s*** on ours if they don't pan out right away. 

Just because he makes the nhl doesn't mean he was the best pick. 

In that scenario no GM ever misses as long as the player makes it to NHL.

When you have a top 5 pick you gotta make it count. 

Just now, WHL rocks said:

Just because he makes the nhl doesn't mean he was the best pick. 

In that scenario no GM ever misses as long as the player makes it to NHL.

When you have a top 5 pick you gotta make it count. 

And that has still yet to be decided, let him play a game before you write him off... it's still too soon wadr. 

Archived