The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

As a 'Nucks-Backer, What Burns Your Bacon?

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

dang, found this forum late... 

so many bad memories.... damn this team....

bertuzzi incident.

raymond's back.

keith.

marchand salo / punch baggin 

2011, 94... 

pavels mishandling.

messier.

nedved over jagr.

otto kickin it in.

• Cheers 2

On 4/6/2019 at 12:12 PM, chilliwiggins said:

Steve Moore hit on Naslund however the Lemieux hit on Draper was brutal but the retaliation was epic

I remember the Lemieux/Draper incident quite well because the Wings were my co-favorite team at that time.   15 year old me smashed the TV remote when that hit occurred.  I was at my aunt/uncle’s house and got into some very deep doodoo.

On 4/1/2019 at 8:25 PM, Vanuckles said:

Exactly. Juice is a champion. Rypien, Mitchell etc. Any full contact sport needs heart and emotions. You have to be in it together otherwise the other team will feast on the skilled players which we've seen happen time and time again.

The days of having a big brother watching over you is over.  I honestly think it has something to do with both the enforcers getting phased out and this new generation of players that never had this growing up in hockey (players coming into the league now and the last couple years).  Gino going after an entire line is a thing of the past, and so is what those guys morphed into (learning take downs and doing staged fights etc.).  Hockey is still hockey, the older generation is passing things down, and one of those things needs to be creating a pack mentality that if one player gets it the entire team is ready to pounce on him.  Guys like Rousel and Wilson are more important then ever..

• Upvote 1

My beefs these days aren't so much about other teams, or what happened with the Canucks 20+ years ago.

- the constant roster tweaking with average players

- VAN never bringing in a star UFA player (see above)

- the lack of team identity / the uniforms

- wasting Goldobin's talent in the press box

- relying on Biega every year

- trading Dahlen

- toying with Bo and the C he should have

• Cheers 1

On 4/1/2019 at 2:20 PM, spur1 said:

Lately it has been the idiots on CDC calling to get rid of Benning. 

Don't let that burn you too bad as each passing year has these "idiots" looking more and more silly in their whining.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

Actually not much (burns my bacon) in terms of the Canucks as it has been a pleasure watching them grow over the past few seasons and have a number of players who could reach star if not better levels in their still getting "out of the gates" career.    I do find the negativity of a portion of the "fan" base (I am not sure someone is a fan if they are relentlessly negative) that somehow burdens current players/management with issues of decades past they literally have NOTHING to do with.   I also shake my head at how many don't seem to understand the prospects are kids and not robots and some work out, some don't but all need at least the benefit of some doubt while they develop at their own pace.    

As far as one game or incident that annoys that part in me that is set aside for the Canucks it is a silly thing but it does annoy.   It was EP40's Penalty Shot last year that was deemed a non-shot where a netminder clearly threw his stick.   It was a goal.   That lone play, that really had no meaningful impact on the Canuck's season, to me demonstrated how little those in hockey's upper echelon's care to make sure the rules fairly apply to all teams and not just the ones who are in the Eastern Time zone.   If that play had happened to a Leaf, and say in the playoffs, there is not a hope that it isn't ruled a good goal.   THAT annoys me.

1 hour ago, Salacious Crumb said:

Could be worse - the Oilers have made the playoffs exactly once in the past eleven years...

And even before 2006, these guys weren’t exactly lighting it up.   My memory is fading now, but even before 2006, hadn’t they missed the playoffs for the better part of 7-8 years?   I seem to recall them getting a few playoff upsets during the late 90’s, but not really doing anything after that (until their cup run in 2006).

• Upvote 2

On 4/1/2019 at 9:24 PM, Smashian Kassian said:

I remember being at game 4 (think it was) in 2010. And there was the goal he scored when Luongo had the puck covered in his gear, and Byfuglien just used his stick & shoveled Lu completely into the net. I couldn't believe it counted it a goal.

Absolutely insane to think back on that now with how much goalie interference has changed. Lu even made reference to that goal when he was on 31 thoughts. 

Well even at that time it shouldn't have counted. But yeah, I really feel they've finally gotten goaltender interference right 95% of the time. Now it's about the heart of the rule and as a goaltender myself, I really appreciate it. They always ask, "even though there's a bit of interference here, does it impact the play?". The spirit is what matters most and it baffles me that most commentary teams can't figure that out. I haven't been wrong on the goaltender interference calls in forever now. Back in those days it blew my mind how you could just shove a goalie into the net and it'd be a 50/50 call. WHAT?! 

Since it hasn't been said, I hated how the riots got out of hand. Really embarrassing for the city. Such a beautiful city that I grew up just outside of looked like utter trash with faux Canucks fans throwing trash cans through windows. I hated it. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

My beefs these days aren't so much about other teams, or what happened with the Canucks 20+ years ago.

- the constant roster tweaking with average players

- VAN never bringing in a star UFA player (see above)

- the lack of team identity / the uniforms

- wasting Goldobin's talent in the press box

- relying on Biega every year

- trading Dahlen

- toying with Bo and the C he should have

I agree on literally all of these except the last. This is the kind of organization which is probably going to have a 30 minute ceremony net year with Henrik giving Bo the captaincy for their 50th year celebration. Do they need to?  no

Edited by Zhukini

29 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Since it hasn't been said, I hated how the riots got out of hand. Really embarrassing for the city. Such a beautiful city that I grew up just outside of looked like utter trash with faux Canucks fans throwing trash cans through windows. I hated it. 

It sure gives other fans fodder against us too. I agree with you.