The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Draft Lottery | April 9th, 5:00pm PT

Rate this topic

Not sure if anyone else has considered it, and the chances of it happening are slim especially since the canucks luck with draft lottery is ridiculous, but what if canucks do end up winning first overall? 

Sounds good right, but what if, the canucks scouting staff has Jack Hughes potential as something around Nugent Hopkins, but Kakko they see as pretty much guaranteed hall of famer? RNH not a bad player by any means, but i hardly think he’ll be considered one of the greatest ever. 

Does he pass on Jack and perhaps tick off Quinn? Or does he bite the bullet hoping Jack exceeds expectations, or that they were wrong on Kakko? 

Just spitballing here, as the chances of canucks getting first are as likely as one team winning first overall in 3 out of five years, or a team going to the final in their first year. Wait bad examples. 

What does Benning do?

*edit For the record, i dont think Benning has any choice but to take Jack Hughes if hes available, no matter who is still on the board or which position hes picking from. That said, if he did pass, that would be pretty ballsy. 

Edited by MystifyNCrucify
  • Like 1

Thanks for starting this Roberts.

Nux odds of drawing 1st, 2nd, or 3rd are 16%.

That's one in six.

I'll take those odds.

The stars are aligned.

Maybe this is our year.

Go Canucks Go!

(And if the NHL is jiggin' this deal, do it in our favour for once please, we're due overdue.)

16%

1 in 6

16%

1 in 6

16%

1 in 6

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Thanks for starting this Roberts.

Nux odds of drawing 1st, 2nd, or 3rd are 16%.

That's one in six.

I'll take those odds.

The stars are aligned.

Maybe this is our year.

Go Canucks Go!

(And if the NHL is jiggin' this deal, do it in our favour for once please, we're due overdue.)

16%

1 in 6

16%

1 in 6

16%

1 in 6

I will bare my hairy ass in the streets of Kelowna if we end up top two in the draft. Do us a solid hockey gods.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Odd. said:

2nd or 3rd overall pick please.

&^@# no to the 1st overall. I don't want to have to go through "we should have picked _____ at 1" for the next 10 years

We’ll be getting that regardless.

3 hours ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

Not sure if anyone else has considered it, and the chances of it happening are slim especially since the canucks luck with draft lottery is ridiculous, but what if canucks do end up winning first overall? 

Sounds good right, but what if, the canucks scouting staff has Jack Hughes potential as something around Nugent Hopkins, but Kakko they see as pretty much guaranteed hall of famer? RNH not a bad player by any means, but i hardly think he’ll be considered one of the greatest ever. 

Does he pass on Jack and perhaps tick off Quinn? Or does he bite the bullet hoping Jack exceeds expectations, or that they were wrong on Kakko? 

Just spitballing here, as the chances of canucks getting first are as likely as one team winning first overall in 3 out of five years, or a team going to the final in their first year. Wait bad examples. 

What does Benning do?

*edit For the record, i dont think Benning has any choice but to take Jack Hughes if hes available, no matter who is still on the board or which position hes picking from. That said, if he did pass, that would be pretty ballsy. 

What if he didn’t like either of them and took Byram, or Broberg, or Podkolzin, or anyone else? What if he traded Petey to the Oilers for Lucic? What if Aquilini sold the team to the Maple Leafs? What if my aunt had balls? She’d be my uncle. 

Pointless filibustering over arbitrary scenarios.

57 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

What if he didn’t like either of them and took Byram, or Broberg, or Podkolzin, or anyone else? What if he traded Petey to the Oilers for Lucic? What if Aquilini sold the team to the Maple Leafs? What if my aunt had balls? She’d be my uncle. 

Pointless filibustering over arbitrary scenarios.

Its not pointless. This is Bennings make or break pick. “If” he has the chance to unite the brothers does he do it, even if he “almost” knows he can get a better player?

cmon, petey for lucic? Selling the team to toronto?

its more likely your aunt did have the balls, and your uncle was transgender. What a stupid thing to say, just pick one. 

2 hours ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

Its not pointless. This is Bennings make or break pick. “If” he has the chance to unite the brothers does he do it, even if he “almost” knows he can get a better player?

It is. Its a dilemma based on arbitrary "what if" scenario that are predicated on two extremely unlikely variables.

1. That we somehow get first (of which there is a 1 in 20 chance)

2. That Benning and scouts have Kakko ahead of Hughes on their rankings despite every single source that releases rankings having Hughes ahead of him.

Could they? Maybe. Could Kakko go ahead of Hughes? Maybe. Could Kakko end up being the better player in the long run? Maybe. But as it stands it doesn't look like thats the case. It looks like the same as every draft year where there is a number 1 and a number 2 that media hypes up as potentially overtaking that number 1 in order to drum up hype for the draft. A la McDavid/Eichel, Matthews/Laine.

Edited by Bitter Melon

It's going to be a top 3 this year I can feel it, they are due for some lottery luck. They have been doing a great job regardless anyway getting fantastic players like Boeser, Pettersson and looks like Hughes too that should have gone much higher in the draft. In hindsight Pettersson should have been the first overall pick in his draft year as almost anyone would say after his rookie year.

• Like 1

Ran it several times, and most often nux dropped to 10.  But they got #1 a couple of times too.  

A bit like shootout, a crap shoot.

Let's hope 50th anniversary and home draft will give JB some luck.  

A top 3 will be a win for sure. 

11 hours ago, rekker said:

I will bare my hairy ass in the streets of Kelowna if we end up top two in the draft. Do us a solid hockey gods.

Probably wouldn't be a solid to those in Kelowna. But I don't live there, so I'm in favour of this.

• Cheers 2

The interesting thing is if the Canucks win 1st overall, would we select Hughes? or go for the much needed winger in Kakko? Both players are fairly even in terms of draft stock.

I'm pretty sure we would select Hughes because of the brother-connection but Kakko may have the better career. The good thing is Pettersson could move to wing so that gives us a #1 center and winger regardless.