The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Draft Lottery | April 9th, 5:00pm PT

Roberts

I had planned to go over to the draft this year but after getting stiffed with this Draft Lottery again, I think I will save my coin, stay home and read about it online after.

In all these years, Vancouver has never had the 1st overall pick....the bad luck started in the 1st year when they lost the coin toss to Buffalo for the 1st overall pick.

If they aren't going to tank like some other teams do when there is no chance of making the playoffs, they should start offer sheeting top end RFA's. It might piss off a few teams but at least Vancouver fans will have something to cheer for. Losing a few draft picks in the mid teens to get a bonafide elite player or two is worth it because the Draft Lottery keeps biting us.

I sure hope I feel a lot different at the start of next season than I do right now. I have been a fan of the Canucks since the day they entered the league but I beginning to think I am a gluten for punishment.

38 minutes ago, Kushman said:

again, i didn't make a claim that the lottery is rigged... just pointing out that just because an accounting firm is involved, doesn't mean that fraud isn't possible

just like it would be entirely possible for the lottery to be rigged without the 15 representatives being aware of the fact that the lottery was rigged. 

Anyways, doesn't matter at this point. rigged or not, the system is broken

Why? Cause we didn't win? I like this system better than watching 5+ teams crap their pants for a top pick. 

2 minutes ago, bluesman60 said:

I had planned to go over to the draft this year but after getting stiffed with this Draft Lottery again, I think I will save my coin, stay home and read about it online after.

In all these years, Vancouver has never had the 1st overall pick....the bad luck started in the 1st year when they lost the coin toss to Buffalo for the 1st overall pick.

If they aren't going to tank like some other teams do when there is no chance of making the playoffs, they should start offer sheeting top end RFA's. It might piss off a few teams but at least Vancouver fans will have something to cheer for. Losing a few draft picks in the mid teens to get a bonafide elite player or two is worth it because the Draft Lottery keeps biting us.

I sure hope I feel a lot different at the start of next season than I do right now. I have been a fan of the Canucks since the day they entered the league but I beginning to think I am a gluten for punishment.

Actually this makes sense. We're never going to get first overall so offer sheet a few players. 

1 minute ago, shiznak said:

Never thought about this, but Chiarelli essentially traded away Hall and two 1st overall picks for Larsson. 

He also traded the 16th pick and a 2nd round pick to the islanders for Griffin Reinhart. That 16th pick turned into Matt Barzal. Probably one of the most lopsided bonehead trades ever.

39 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

byram is slated to go 7th on the list. I guess my comment wasn't obvious to most like I thought it would be seeing as the list appeared twice on the last page.  B)

Podkolzin>Byram wadr to Bowen. 

35 minutes ago, Darius said:

I was kinda trying to goad you into a discussion :-)  I see the exceptional skill there but im afraid he’ll be a gerbe/Byron caliber guy... absolutely nothing wrong with those guys but could he be a core piece? I’d love if they nab him at 10 and he turns out to be a home run. 

Neither of those guys are close to the offensive potential of Caufield, imo.  To me the fact that, at 5'7, hes ranked in the top 15 says a whole lot about what this kid might be able to do.  If he were even 5'10-5'11 he's be a top 5 pick easy.

57 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

OKAY HOW ABOUT THEY PUT 100 BINGO BALLS IN A POPPING MACHINE , EVERYONE GETS THEIR PERCENTAGE OF BALLS, DRAW THE ORDER LIVE ON TV. 

Trouble with that is that after 1st overall pick is drawn, odds have to be recalculated, so additional balls added/subtracted to make the new percentages.  So cut to commercial while that is being done?  Then the conspiriatists would be out in force again " second pick was rigged while we were away, etc etc"

It's a can't win for the NHL - they are screwed if they do, and screwed if they don't 

Just now, Googlie said:

Trouble with that is that after 1st overall pick is drawn, odds have to be recalculated, so additional balls added/subtracted to make the new percentages.  So cut to commercial while that is being done?  Then the conspiriatists would be out in force again " second pick was rigged while we were away, etc etc"

It's a can't win for the NHL - they are screwed if they do, and screwed if they don't 

Just leave the balls alone. Let the balls lie where ever they land. 

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Neither of those guys are close to the offensive potential of Caufield, imo.  To me the fact that, at 5'7, hes ranked in the top 15 says a whole lot about what this kid might be able to do.  If he were even 5'10-5'11 he's be a top 5 pick easy.

You have intrigued me enough.. I’m going to start binge watching video of him now.

i think Johnny gaudreau has opened the door for this type of player.  JG was skipped over till the 4th round . I wonder if this kid gets ranked so high (top 15) if this was 10 years ago. Game has changed and with the success of small guys this kid now could go 10th.. 

11 minutes ago, wildwood12 said:

Matthew Barzal was picked at 16th overall. So gems can be found at 10.

Still can't believe the Bruins passed on him 3 times. DeBrusk was a great pick though. But Senyshyn and Zboril are meh so far. 

Archived