Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[speculation] Ralph Krueger being courted again - is he a good fit for Canucks president?

Rate this topic


JM_

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

As it relates to hockey, he was a pretty good head coach.  Had to Oilers going in the right direction.  Fortunately for us, they had Larry, Moe and Curly as the executive management team in Edmonton and decided to replace him with Dallas Eakins.:P

Ya, and they still have Larry, Moe and Curly.  Small wonder he wouldn't touch that organization with a barge pole.  You have to like the classy way he declined the interview.  The high road is always best

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Someone with experience and a history of success in the position would be nice. We’ve had enough rookies and lived through “rookie mistakes” enough all ready. 

Get someone who knows the job and what it takes. Even though it’s clear owners don’t like those types wonder why.... probably the same reason those wouldn’t work for FA. 

  • Like 1
  • Wat 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

because of his ability to run a major sports franchise and build it the right way. He has the hockey knowledge + has proven himself to be a team building leader on a very tough stage in euro soccer. The skills are transferrable. 

What I like most about Krueger is the way he has been able to coach the Swiss teams to some great new heights. Like the article said upsets over Canada and other nations have really put the swiss team on the map. And Krueger had a large role to play. Heck he had the swiss team playing true blue Canadian hockey better than the Canadians were. Tight defensive chippy hockey. It's not pretty but effective. He has shown he has a great mind for the game. I'm sure there will be lots of teams lining up for his services no doubt. Whether the Canucks are the right fit i'm not sure? But I think it would be a mistake to not interview him and see where his head is at. Who knows, he could have similar views as to where our team is going and could be a great added asset to our management group...afterall he knows how NOT to rebuild since he went through it in Edmonton.

Edited by Attila Umbrus
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I also think Krueger and Benning would complement each other well. Was also very impressed by Krueger’s coaching last World Cup for the euro team. When you get all players to buy in on team philosophy and play hard every shift in such a short tournament it tells me you understand both the game and how players work and think. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, combover said:

Someone with experience and a history of success in the position would be nice. We’ve had enough rookies and lived through “rookie mistakes” enough all ready. 

Get someone who knows the job and what it takes. Even though it’s clear owners don’t like those types wonder why.... probably the same reason those wouldn’t work for FA. 

apparently to FA was quite interested in brining him here a few years ago. I don't have the link but do recall the articles on it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, BananaMash said:

He'd really be a nice balance to Benning if they were to work together. Benning seems much more emotionally invested. Having that business minded but not cold guy like Kreuger would be a good blend.

 

I think Linden was also too emotional and it didn't mesh as well because you have two similar people working together instead of multiple perspectives.

thats an interesting point about JB and Linden, didn't really think of it that way before. 

 

I think with the right organizational leader you can have passionate people but they know how to bring a correct structure to it. We'll see where it all goes if anywhere, the guy might get another job in soccer too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

“I don’t see my next step being in Edmonton as much as I really, really enjoyed everything about my time there. That’s a chapter that you just can’t reopen”

 

Haha.  I don't think anyone can fault him for that perspective.

 

At the same time, maybe somewhat of a kudos to Bob Nicholson for offering him the opportunity - a bit of an olive-branch / apology in a sense?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

“I don’t see my next step being in Edmonton as much as I really, really enjoyed everything about my time there. That’s a chapter that you just can’t reopen”

 

Haha.  I don't think anyone can fault him for that perspective.

 

At the same time, maybe somewhat of a kudos to Bob Nicholson for offering him the opportunity - a bit of an olive-branch / apology in a sense?

 

 

could be. Its also a great move if they could land him.... but been there done that seems to be the sentiment. 

 

I don't see it as a knock on Bennings skills to bring in Krueger, I think the more quality people you have in the organization the better, particularly ones who've proven themselves at a high level as a sports exec. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

could be. Its also a great move if they could land him.... but been there done that seems to be the sentiment. 

 

I don't see it as a knock on Bennings skills to bring in Krueger, I think the more quality people you have in the organization the better, particularly ones who've proven themselves at a high level as a sports exec. 

I don't know - and couldn't - without being in on an interview process - see how they'd fit/work together, etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, BananaMash said:

He'd really be a nice balance to Benning if they were to work together. Benning seems much more emotionally invested. Having that business minded but not cold guy like Kreuger would be a good blend.

 

I think Linden was also too emotional and it didn't mesh as well because you have two similar people working together instead of multiple perspectives.

it would be great if it could work, but could it?

It sounds like Kruger would be bringing in talent, with Jim currently acting President, he would effectively take 2 steps down.

maybe Jim would be happy as head amateur scout, but I doubt it.

Then there is Jud Brackett, could Kruger groom Jud to be GM?

 

Jim and Jud work well with drafting, but Jim seems too old to be tutored in trades and signings, but that is where the Canucks need help.

 

Kruger himself said he did not want to go back to Edmonton because he believed in moving on and up. ( new challenges)

Bringing Kruger in above Benning would not be moving Benning on and up.

It seem unethical by Kruger's own standards.

 

And being slotted between Benning and Aqua does not sound like an enviable position to situate yourself if you have other options.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would rather have a ex general manager will more hockey  experience then Kruger, there are guys out there...

Someone with lots of hockey knowledge and some kind of law degree dealing with the business side as president..

No we want better then Kruger...

Edited by wildcam
Link to comment
Share on other sites

“Now I’ve had the opportunity to be that person who creates a culture where you try to have it that everybody can really find their potential and find out what they’re made of. So my evolution has been neat that way. Now six years into this, if someone is asking me about the NHL, your brain goes to a similar role.’’

 

from the article above

I think Krueger would be awesome

but just don't think the Canucks would buy in 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, wildcam said:

I would rather have a ex general manager will more hockey  experience then Kruger, there are guys out there...

Someone with lots of hockey knowledge and some kind of law degree dealing with the business side as president..

No we want better then Kruger...

The only time I have seen an attempt to transfer soccer onto to ice it failed. The Germans tried at, what 15 years ago? They have tried to revamp their program ever since. 

 

Maybe one could suggest Lemaire during his NJD era and later in Minnie. The modern fan couldn't stand what became the 'neutral zone trap'. 

 I agree wildcam I prefer a North American NHL vet with sound business cred. Someone who can set up a business plan and actually carry it out, whether on the ice or in the board room signing contracts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m a huge fan of Krueger. I’ve suggested his name several times in the past. Would absolutely love to see him become the next Canucks president. He’d be top of my wish list, if and when the Aquilinis decide to fill that position. I know they like him, and have courted him in the past, but Linden was in place at the time, so the position Krueger actually wants (president) wasn’t available.

  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/19/2019 at 8:58 AM, Down by the River said:

Mike Gillis said that if he were to come back to the NHL he'd want to be in a President role rather than a GM role. He also talked about how it was just too hard to do both. 

 

The Canucks need to hire someone, whether it be Holland, Kreuger, or someone else. For JB to draft effectively he needs his time freed up from other areas that can be handled by a President. 

Easy pass on Holland. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...