The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Free agency or Trade???

Rate this topic

KyGuy123

Would you rather us dip into free agency and spend more cap and term or would you rather want us spending assets like picks and prospects to retain players on better salary and term? Having great players on ELC’s is such a huge asset to have in the salary cap era and if can be utilized properly by management we could become a very competitive team that can compete for the playoffs as early as next year. 

This year proves more then anything that there is no guarantee once in the playoffs and once you get in you have an opportunity to play for Lord Stanley no matter where you place in the standings. 

So what would you rather do in order to improve our Team next year? 

Free agency or Trade?  

we don’t have much to trade that other teams would want. UFA’s will get more than they are worth. draft picks will take a couple of years to be regular nhl’ers. there’s the rub.

i don’t want us to get into cap hell. imo, we should be looking for young wingers and d men with upside.

• Upvote 3

I am a little all over the place on this one....

I think using draft for the most part is the way to go, but

I also think moving out older veterans or extra players for picks is a good idea at this point.

In saying that, a couple of high end UFA's would be a good idea...1 LW and 1 RHD

and then keep on building

I think it will be something like that anyways

• Upvote 3

I think the way for us to go is to continue to build through the draft and if we ever go without getting screwed at that stupid LOTTO DRAFT, we might get there one day

About the time the Canucks needed some top draft choices because the Sedins were getting ready to retire don't they change the rules and 2 teams Edmonton and New Jersey are still getting more first round top picks than we have ever gotten in fifty years.

The league will change the rules for the Lotto Draft, if and when Vegas starts to look bad,seems there the sweethearts of the league, or will it be Seattle.

We need a league friendly PRESIDENT in the management group to maybe change our luck.I hate having to wait for this team to get lucky,

cause in fifty years we are far from lucky.

Further to my previous comment....

If Benning does those types of moves, it is because he feels we can now compete for the playoffs

and if that is the case, I would like to see Benning make another move, which is to move our 2021 1st round pick this year

for a mid to later half  1st in the draft this year...….

It is not trading the pick away, in the way that it is not being used, but simply using it earlier. It might need to be packaged with an asset

but I think it is worth it, in that it condenses our time line just a little, and gives Benning that one more piece to mature earlier....

My reason for this is that if Horvat is to be part of our future cups, then we have to get him help earlier, or he will simply age, and not have the help needed

to take that next step...….

I also think that, we need to go into this next 5 or 6 years, moving the UFA's we sign today, as they are in their last year, then they become free assets, 

and should be considered extra's. then simply go out and replace them through UFA if needed, the following year. This should be a regular thing that

happens routinely...…...

Benning really hasn't had much of a chance to do this so far, but I am hopeful he takes this approach in the future...…………….

Rotate assets......grind them down.....then rotate again...………….this should be a yearly occurrence, once up and running

Neither. Just don’t piss away picks and take your chances with , what the Baertschi, benning, motte, and Dorset lovers call, super inconsequential long shot 2nd and 3rd picks that never amount to anything. 

Then just dip into your farm or waivers for the rest.

Edited by Tomatoes11
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 2

i want to see a goalscorer for bo’s line. we need to have 2 scoring lines and then work on a third one. 

grit/good skater...pettersson...boeser

pearson...horvat...goalscorer

roussel...gaudette...goalscorer

motte...beagle...macewen/sutter

edler...hughes

hutton...stecher

juolevi...tanev

3 hours ago, KyGuy123 said:

Would you rather us dip into free agency and spend more cap and term or would you rather want us spending assets like picks and prospects to retain players on better salary and term? Having great players on ELC’s is such a huge asset to have in the salary cap era and if can be utilized properly by management we could become a very competitive team that can compete for the playoffs as early as next year. 

This year proves more then anything that there is no guarantee once in the playoffs and once you get in you have an opportunity to play for Lord Stanley no matter where you place in the standings. 

So what would you rather do in order to improve our Team next year? 

Free agency or Trade?  

Trades are tough. We dont want to give up picks so we have to trade players and we just want to get rid of our not so good ones or bad contracts (LE)

I would favor ufas to answer your question 

Tanev is someone I would want to trade I just don't see us getting much . 

I could see us trading markstrom but half way through the year if demko looks ready 

Maybe more Josh lievo type trades ? 

When looking at the quality of the teams right now I see getting to the point of being able to challenge for a cup a bit of a long haul 

4 hours ago, Provost said:

Both.

Sign a top UFA forward (or two).. Panarin and Lee for example.

Then use some assets to trade for a young top 4 RD.

We suddenly look like a team that can not only make the playoffs, but maybe even win a round or two.

Lee-Petterson-Boeser

Panarin-Horvat-Pearson

Baertschi-Gaudette-Leivo

Roussel-Beagle-MacEwan

Motte

Edler-Stecher

Hughes-XX

Huttom-Tanev

Schemn-Biega

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

i want to see a goalscorer for bo’s line. we need to have 2 scoring lines and then work on a third one. 

grit/good skater...pettersson...boeser

pearson...horvat...goalscorer

roussel...gaudette...goalscorer

motte...beagle...macewen/sutter

edler...hughes

hutton...stecher

juolevi...tanev

You 2 both have Virtanen gone by next season.

Interesting...

• Upvote 1

We shouldn't handcuff ourselves. If there's a free agent that will make the team better, make a call. If there's a trade to be made that could make the team better, make the call.

I just don't want to see us sit idly by and do nothing. We're ready to push for a playoff spot. Another 5 years of "Let's not do anything but build through the draft" will do irreparable damage to the franchise and to the core we're currently developing. As long as we're not trading picks, young impact players, or going after expensive players over than 30 like we did with Eriksson, do whatever it takes.

Both plus the draft.  Collect all the assets, haha.  My offseason would be:

sign Panarin

sign Schenn

trade for Ristolainen (even including higher pick next year if needed)

trade for Puljujarvi if price is low

buyout/sign Tryamkin 

draft Boldy/Zegras/Caufield/Turcotte

trade away Sutter, Tanev, Granlund, Pouliot

Panarin Pettersson Puljujarvi 

Pearson Horvat Boeser

Baertchi Gaudette Leivo

Roussel Beagle Virtanen

Eriksson/Motte

Edler Ristolainen

Hughes Tryamkin

Joulevi Stecher

Hutton Schenn

Edited by Kobayashi Maru
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Both plus the draft.  Collect all the assets, haha.  My offseason would be:

sign Panarin - yes

sign Schenn - yes

trade for Ristolainen (even including higher pick next year if needed) - no

trade for Puljujarvi if price is low - no

buyout/sign Tryamkin - bring back Tree!

draft Boldy/Zegras/Caufield/Turcotte - sounds good

trade away Sutter - deadline, Tanev - deadline, Granlund - can't RFA, Pouliot - can't RFA

Here are my thoughts on it.

11 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

Here are my thoughts on it.

Definitely nice value at the deadline for those guys.  If we can carry the cap that works but may need to move them at the draft at 75% value.

with Risto/Puljujarvi I just feel we need a couple lotto tickets of buy low and they are my top candidates.  If that lineup is possible it just feels like it could compete next year past the first round of the playoffs and has longevity as they are all very to fairly young.

Edited by Kobayashi Maru

35 minutes ago, CoolCanucklehead said:

You 2 both have Virtanen gone by next season.

Interesting...

If we want a young top 4 D who is under club control for a while... you have to give up something.

He is one of our few trade chips with some value.  Some GM will see his size and speed and figure that he can get more out of the guy.  Might even be right.  Jake has a lot of signs of a guy that might need a stop or two in order to figure it out.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1