The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] What If NJ Pursued our Hughes?

Everyone's tradable, so its possible. 

But if NJ is willing to move Vatanen to TO they can get Nylander, and they can just bring up Smith and not gut their picks and prospect pool for our benefit. They can make other moves for less cost that improve them. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

With a healthy Taylor Hall & their goal tending not in injury shambles, they were a play off team last year. Ergo their 1st was artificially low this year.

Not sure we should expect it to be a top 10 pick next year. The only allure to me would be a more sure top end pick. And I also don't have any urgency to pay someone to take Eriksson's contract. A waste of money, but we're not at the cap.

Smith = very good. Possibly / probably feistier defensively. And fast. But almost all are a step behind Hughes (Quinn), and less likely to be as dynamic.

I'm not giving up the most dynamic D prospect we have had in, what, 40 years?

The team with the best player in the trade wins the trade and since we have that player already......no

Having said that, I doubt the Devils give up more than 2 assets for Q Hughes.  Smith and the 2020 1st.....something like that

• Upvote 1

Just got back from hike in East Osaka(w/Missus, her sis & niece)..lotsa caterpillars! Thanks for some interesting replies.

In truth was quite reluctant to post this. Had been thinking about it since the lotto, but QH looked so darn good in his quick cameo at season-end. As well, I don't see any jr's play, so it's always shooting in the dark, speculating on jr-targets(based on what others state, mostly).

I think the optics are bad too. We've had many kids leave college to sign with us, & this kid seems to have fit in well with our other youth. We need the pipeline of college youth to keep signing, every season.

But then there's that nagging question..what IF NJ gave JB an offer that was over-the-top?

5 hours ago, Winter Soldier said:

No one in the National Hockey League cares about this as much as fans seem to.

Would mostly agree with this, but I think this might be a unique exception. NJ could eagerly market US bros who've already played at a high level for their nation. Their Dad's been in the game for a career, as well. It could really be attractive for a market like NJ, who have some prominent regional-rivals to battle for the dominant position.

In the end, decided just to throw this out there, for off-season conversation/analysis/& insight on all our relative-valuations. With the hosted draft, young team & a whack of cap, at CDC we shouldn't be shy about discussing various notions(quick build/retool, long-term, outside the box concepts, etc...)

Trading either way wont happen. 

Like already been state, it would be a gross over payment on either side. 

I'll play though.

To Njd. 

Hughes, Goldobin, ericcson 25 percent retained. 2020 2nd 

To Van. 2020 1st un protected, hischier, ty Smith. 

Definitely open to giving them Quinn. 

I'd want their 2019 2nd, 2020 1st, 2021 1st and maybe another piece. 

Take it or leave it you scumbag American team that deserves nothing!

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/2/2019 at 1:23 AM, apollo said:

Definitely open to giving them Quinn. 

I'd want their 2019 2nd, 2020 1st, 2021 1st and maybe another piece. 

Take it or leave it you scumbag American team that deserves nothing!

Nice one Apollo.

Bumping this

• Cheers 1

On 4/27/2019 at 2:01 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Obtaining the 1st OA is too costly, where NJ likely demands EP part of the equation. Big no thanks from this corner.

Conversely, I've imagined NJ calling JB, trying to pair the bros to build with. We've never had a young D-skating talent like this, so obviously JB will hang on to this asset with a firm grip. I'm curious (on value) & where the threshold lies for our fanbase?

I've heard their young D(Ty Smith, 1st rounder, last June) is a good player. What if the Devils offered Smith, their 2020 1st(unprotected) AND took poor contracts Eriksson(or, if he doesn't waive?)..maybe Spooner & Sutter?

Posters will get angry, accusing me of trying to trade their fav new toy. Well, I'm not.

Haven't seen Ty Smith play, so no idea how good he is.

Mainly have two questions:

1- What does an over-the-top offer look like, coming from NJ?(that is somewhat believable, within realm of possibility)

2- Because QH is an asset we've never really had, should JB simply refuse to talk about it?

There is noway to get the best player in the deal by trading away Hughes.  That said, there is no point taking on more players that will project as good 2nd line and good 2nd pair defensemen.  In order to win you need high end skill players.  Also Hughes fills the biggest hole on the team.  There really is nothing on their roster that I would trade Quinn for.  Lots of good young players, but quantity for quality never works.

• -SN- changed the title to [Discussion] What If NJ Pursued our Hughes?
  • 2 years later...
30 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

A bump.

It's interesting to me, almost the same threads have been created 2 yrs on.

Now there's a distinct possibility NJ could have the other 2 Hughes Bros in their service. Will folks be discussing such an unlikely possibility even more?

They have the assets but it would set us back a bit the next 1-2 years and after that you don’t know how good the assets we’d get for Hughes would be. Not sure JB would want to risk that.