The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks will not qualify Brendan Gaunce

53 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Making room for the kids lol. Plus they want to add some ahl scorers to play with the kids

I am glad they are starting to clear the clutter.

Derrick Pouliot - Gone

Brendan Gaunce - Gone

Who's next?

No point having that much depth. Granlund I can see us looking to trade over letting walk. Spooner imo gets another season. Does Schaller? he did ok at times.

Spooner and Schaller are both under contract for next year. (There deals expire at the end of next season). I could see them being stashed in Utica if they can't break camp with the Canucks. Good chance neither gets claimed because of their contracts.

I assume Granlund, Boucher, McEneny, and Kero are gonna be let go. Granlund is such a "meh" player, I don't see where he has any trade value. Another NHL team will most likely sign him (much like another NHL team will sign Gaunce to be an AHL vet/call up option) and he might be the 13th man on a better team. I see Boucher signing in Europe (Boucher would probably thrive in Switzerland/KHL). And Kero may get another NHL deal. Kero's the only one I could see the Canucks re-signing for Utica depth, at this point. Tom Pyatt won't be re-signed either (but that seemed obvious from the get go). Yan Pavel Laplante and Derek Dorsett's contracts also expires this summer, so they come off the books too. Tyler Motte seems like a 50/50 for returning. I love his "hustle" but what else does he bring? Could see him come back only to be shipped off to Utica if somebody else takes his spot (like Zach MacEwen or Lukas Jasek).

So from my count it's looking like the Canucks will have 11 open contract spots going into July 1 (that 11 also includes the two goalies, Michael Leighton & Marek Mazanec who I didn't count earlier). Barring any trades, the Canucks will most likely be very active in the AHL signing front. It'll be interesting to see what the Canucks do. Hopefully they sign the right guys and make some smart trades.

More than anything I wanted some turnover this offseason and cut the dead weight

so far pouilot and gaunce have bit the dust 

I wonder about leivo. Good 15 goal/30 point guy, but does a 30 point guy belong in your top 6? Not for a team eyeing the playoffs next year 

1 minute ago, billabong said:

More than anything I wanted some turnover this offseason and cut the dead weight

so far pouilot and gaunce have bit the dust 

I wonder about leivo. Good 15 goal/30 point guy, but does a 30 point guy belong in your top 6? Not for a team eyeing the playoffs next year 

I like him as a "top 9" - a 3rd liner that can move up on occasion when needed for injury or just a different look for a shift or two. If Jake can be slotted into the top 6 next season I can see Leivo fitting in well on the 3rd line. 

1 minute ago, Quantum said:

Spooner and Schaller are both under contract for next year. (There deals expire at the end of next season). I could see them being stashed in Utica if they can't break camp with the Canucks. Good chance neither gets claimed because of their contracts.

I assume Granlund, Boucher, McEneny, and Kero are gonna be let go. Granlund is such a "meh" player, I don't see where he has any trade value. Another NHL team will most likely sign him (much like another NHL team will sign Gaunce to be an AHL vet/call up option) and he might be the 13th man on a better team. I see Boucher signing in Europe (Boucher would probably thrive in Switzerland/KHL). And Kero may get another NHL deal. Kero's the only one I could see the Canucks re-signing for Utica depth, at this point. Tom Pyatt won't be re-signed either (but that seemed obvious from the get go). Yan Pavel Laplante and Derek Dorsett's contracts also expires this summer, so they come off the books too. Tyler Motte seems like a 50/50 for returning. I love his "hustle" but what else does he bring? Could see him come back only to be shipped off to Utica if somebody else takes his spot (like Zach MacEwen or Lukas Jasek).

So from my count it's looking like the Canucks will have 11 open contract spots going into July 1 (that 11 also includes the two goalies, Michael Leighton & Marek Mazanec who I didn't count earlier). Barring any trades, the Canucks will most likely be very active in the AHL signing front. It'll be interesting to see what the Canucks do. Hopefully they sign the right guys and make some smart trades.

Granlund is a Swiss army knife player. He fits from 2nd line to 4th. McEneny is the kind of player we need more of. Speed and size and put up some pretty good numbers for a D man. Boucher, Kero I see being let go. I think having a healthy option for defence isn't bad. He just might be a depth D-man on the farm, and a victim of being a left handed D-man. Which we have a lot of all of a sudden. 

12 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

Hopefully it's not a Daryl Katz sinus infection

That was alarming when I heard about that, I've been getting sinus infections every year lately.  

I always thought he could be a good 3rd liner.  He's pretty good defensively and has decent numbers in the AHL.  Sometimes you wonder if it's just he is more timid in the NHL and worried about being benched if he makes a mistake, thus he just simply make the safer play.... and thus his offensive numbers are near non-existent.  

He probably would still be on the team if the Canucks don't already have other (more expensive) role players like Schaller.  It's way easier for a GM to just cut a prospect from a previous regime than to buyout a free agent that he picked up more recently.

If Gaunce is no longer with the Canucks organization, I certainly hope he's able to hit his strides elsewhere.  

15 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Granlund is a Swiss army knife player. He fits from 2nd line to 4th. McEneny is the kind of player we need more of. Speed and size and put up some pretty good numbers for a D man. Boucher, Kero I see being let go. I think having a healthy option for defence isn't bad. He just might be a depth D-man on the farm, and a victim of being a left handed D-man. Which we have a lot of all of a sudden. 

The signings of Brogan Rafferty and Josh Teves have made Evan McEneny obsolete on the depth chart. On top of that, Ashton Sautner  and Guilliame Brisebois jumped him on the depth chart. And I haven't even brought up Oli Juolevi yet. Even with Pouliot being let go, there's just no room for McEneny and Benning clearly doesn't think much of him or else McEneny would have played NHL games last season. He's done as a Canuck. He was one of the last "Gillis" guys anyways. With Gaunce and McEneny's exits from the organization, I think that leaves Edler, Tanev, Hutton and Horvat as Gillis era players. And even then Edler pre-dates Gillis. McEneny's speed was also compromised over the last few years with all of his knee/leg injuries. I feel bad for the guy and hope he gets another NHL shot because McEneny deserves it. 

Granlund sucks. I'm gonna say it. He's a mediocre NHL player. Swiss army players shouldn't be valued. I'd rather have guys who know their role and thrive in it over a bunch of lame "Jack of All Trades" guys who aren't particularly good at anything. With Spooner & Schaller under contract, I just don't see a fit anymore. Granlund's got to go and I'm not shy saying that. Get rid of the Granlund's.

You don't make the playoffs with a bunch of Granlund's in your bottom six.

9 minutes ago, Quantum said:

The signings of Brogan Rafferty and Josh Teves have made Evan McEneny obsolete on the depth chart. On top of that, Ashton Sautner  and Guilliame Brisebois jumped him on the depth chart. And I haven't even brought up Oli Juolevi yet. Even with Pouliot being let go, there's just no room for McEneny and Benning clearly doesn't think much of him or else McEneny would have played NHL games last season. He's done as a Canuck. He was one of the last "Gillis" guys anyways. With Gaunce and McEneny's exits from the organization, I think that leaves Edler, Tanev, Hutton and Horvat as Gillis era players. And even then Edler pre-dates Gillis. McEneny's speed was also compromised over the last few years with all of his knee/leg injuries. I feel bad for the guy and hope he gets another NHL shot because McEneny deserves it. 

Granlund sucks. I'm gonna say it. He's a mediocre NHL player. Swiss army players shouldn't be valued. I'd rather have guys who know their role and thrive in it over a bunch of lame "Jack of All Trades" guys who aren't particularly good at anything. With Spooner & Schaller under contract, I just don't see a fit anymore. Granlund's got to go and I'm not shy saying that. Get rid of the Granlund's.

Spooner and Schaller may not be here next season, same with Granlund. I think there will be a lot of changes this summer.

I will miss the debate over whether Gaunce is an NHL palyer or not.  Apparently he is not in Vancouver.  Wish him all the best and initially had high hopes because of the person.  Maybe he can find a spot somewhere but I don't see a fit here.  Wonder if they bring him back in Utica if he can't find a better opportunity.  

Glad for him he was never going to get a fair chance under Benning. Now if Jim had drafted him or traded for him im sure he’d be at

4th line with Megan and another turd and asked to perform..... good luck. 

Was and is a better player than than half the POS ufa Benning has brought in or the turds he’s traded for. 

He probably a pretty happy guy right now could be a solid 3rd or fourth line checker. 

27 minutes ago, Quantum said:

With Spooner & Schaller under contract, I just don't see a fit anymore. Granlund's got to go and I'm not shy saying that. Get rid of the Granlund's.

Far more likely Spooner and Schaller are waived (or long shot, traded) and we keep Granlund as a solid, bottom 6/spare utility player IMO.

17 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Spooner and Schaller may not be here next season, same with Granlund. I think there will be a lot of changes this summer.

Yup. All three could certainly be moved/moved on from. But there's certainly worse players to have at the bottom of your roster than Granlund and with Roussel starting next season on the IR, I'd imagine they likely retain him for at least one more year.

I still believe he is an excellent 4C or limited 13th forward. Would've much rather kept him in that spot over giving a guy like Beagle a longer contract. Especially during a rebuild. I assume foot speed made this decision for Jimbo. 

Man I hate that draft. Gillis. Gaunce and the great Alexandre Mallet, the overager, drafted in the first two rounds. Not the strongest draft class but how they pass over Severson playing in Kelowna befuddles me. 

2 minutes ago, rekker said:

Man I hate that draft. Gillis. Gaunce and the great Alexandre Mallet, the overager, drafted in the first two rounds. Not the strongest draft class but how they pass over Severson playing in Kelowna befuddles me. 

2012 was a very shallow draft overall. 

Really smart, good defensive player.  Doesn't have the skating to provide any offence at NHL level.

Hope he can find a situation that works for him. 

Could be a decent utility 13th forward kind of player.  Can play wing or C, will not ever provide significant offence.  

Most likely career AHLer though.

Big fan of Gaunce, love the heart he brings, but I think this is good for both parties. It’s not working out for him here. I still believe he can be an excellent 4th liner somewhere though, and I hope he gets another shot elsewhere.

Archived