gave away a back up goalie

for nothing but a bad contract

and then got jammed due to goalie injuries

this was a bad trade by jb

but is relatively minor

and nillsson would not have been resigned by the nucks anyway

3 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

GMJB OUT GM’D AGAIN !

The thing is that the players (especially the smart ones like Petey) recognize the GM's failings.  How happy were the guys when they saw an 18 year old (who is clearly not ready for the NHL) as their back-up?  Then the GM does nothing to get the guys a ligit back-up, and the kid has to play!  JB has done some good things, but this goalie fiasco was a HUGE mistake, and the players certainly know that.  

6 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

a lesser trade

but ottawa did well in that transaction

the canucks not so much

but is relatively minor

I am clearly misremembering the trade I think.

What bad contract did we take on?  We swapped back up goalies and swapped AHL forwards... plus we got a sixth pick.

You also can’t view thing with future vision like that.  Benning was making way for Demko just like everyone was demanding.  Demko getting injured a month later and Philly winning the waiting game by holding off waiving Mackenna again so we could get him back... those aren’t foreseeable problems.

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

I am clearly misremembering the trade I think.

What bad contract did we take on?  We swapped back up goalies and swapped AHL forwards... plus we got a sixth pick.

You also can’t view thing with future vision like that.  Benning was making way for Demko just like everyone was demanding.  Demko getting injured a month later and Philly winning the waiting game by holding off waiving Mackenna again so we could get him back... those aren’t foreseeable problems.

Regardless.  The players saw the result, and played several games knowing their back-up was a kid, who wasn't ready for the league.  Then the players saw that kid play!  I would expect this was a very low point for JB in the minds of our players.  

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Regardless.  The players saw the result, and played several games knowing their back-up was a kid, who wasn't ready for the league.  Then the players saw that kid play!  I would expect this was a very low point for JB in the minds of our players.  

You do realize that the situation didn't happen exactly as you said. The goalies got injured and then it fell to Dipietro to be the one to save the sinking ship. Yes it was unfortunate, but it was also that - unfortunate.

Why in the hell are people still talking about the one game where Dipietro lost at home against the offensively talented Sharks in his very first NHL game?

2 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

You do realize that the situation didn't happen exactly as you said. The goalies got injured and then it fell to Dipietro to be the one to save the sinking ship. Yes it was unfortunate, but it was also that - unfortunate.

Why in the hell are people still talking about the one game where Dipietro lost at home against the offensively talented Sharks in his very first NHL game?

We are fans, so we talk about stuff, even if it's silly.  Now we hear that Nilssen signed a two year deal with the Sens.  That re-opens the old stuff with the trade, and how JB didn't get a ligit NHL back up in town as soon as Demko got injured.  I think the players on our team would have reacted to the trade for one, and then not getting an NHL back up on the bench as soon as Demko got injured.  There was a clear lack of goalie depth in our pro ranks after that Nilssen trade.  It should have been fixed soon rather than later.  That's why we are talking about it.

Just now, Alflives said:

We are fans, so we talk about stuff, even if it's silly.  Now we hear that Nilssen signed a two year deal with the Sens.  That re-opens the old stuff with the trade, and how JB didn't get a ligit NHL back up in town as soon as Demko got injured.  I think the players on our team would have reacted to the trade for one, and then not getting an NHL back up on the bench as soon as Demko got injured.  There was a clear lack of goalie depth in our pro ranks after that Nilssen trade.  It should have been fixed soon rather than later.  That's why we are talking about it.

I'm sure JB learned a lesson about gambling like that for sure. But he was unlucky. Philly was hoarding goaltenders because they had injury issues of their own.

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

I'm sure JB learned a lesson about gambling like that for sure. But he was unlucky. Philly was hoarding goaltenders because they had injury issues of their own.

Totally agree.  JB is doing a great job. 

Moving Nilssen was the right move at that time.    

32 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The thing is that the players (especially the smart ones like Petey) recognize the GM's failings.  How happy were the guys when they saw an 18 year old (who is clearly not ready for the NHL) as their back-up?  Then the GM does nothing to get the guys a ligit back-up, and the kid has to play!  JB has done some good things, but this goalie fiasco was a HUGE mistake, and the players certainly know that.  

Lay off the Scotch for a while Alf.  He improved with the trade (probably woke him up). To a .908 save percentage and 2.97 GAA.

He was a backup and nothing more. He shows flashes, but never shows consistency. Much like Pouliot I kept hoping he'd improve.

But he never did here. Pretty sure no one expected Philly to plunder a goalie from waivers, especially a 35 year old vet Mike McKenna. Then Philly plays the guy in one game.

Then throws him back into the AHL. Seems more like Philly either being desperate or vindictive, either way. 

23 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Lay off the Scotch for a while Alf.  He improved with the trade (probably woke him up). To a .908 save percentage and 2.97 GAA.

He was a backup and nothing more. He shows flashes, but never shows consistency. Much like Pouliot I kept hoping he'd improve.

But he never did here. Pretty sure no one expected Philly to plunder a goalie from waivers, especially a 35 year old vet Mike McKenna. Then Philly plays the guy in one game.

Then throws him back into the AHL. Seems more like Philly either being desperate or vindictive, either way. 

Yep, it took a series of several unusual circumstances all to conspire at the same time to put us into a bit of a bind.

It was also not some sort of watershed moment where players would have lost faith in Benning.  Us not making the playoffs is a much bigger deal to them as they have short careers and limited chances to pursue the Cup.

It also probably wasn’t the worst thing for DiPietro to see what the big show is like and how hard he is going to have to work to get here.

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

a lesser trade

but ottawa did well in that transaction

the canucks not so much

but is relatively minor

Kind of contradicting yourself there....on one hand, you say he gave him away...but on the other your saying we wouldn't have signed him anyways.  I know a 6th rounder is not much, but it's still better than nothing at all.  Were you expecting a bigger haul for a 3.09GAA and 0.895 backup goalie? Seriously?  I think that 2.6M$ is overpaid for a shaky, inconsistent backup goalie with career high of 27 games played in one season, especially for a cheap a$$ team like Ottawa.  Boston signed Halak for 2.75M$.

What bad contract?  Tom Pyatt? He's gone, UFA, it had 0 effect on our cap space, how is this a bad contract?  All it did was to make Aqualini 0.000000001% less rich.

Benning wasn't jammed because of injuries, he got jammed because he wanted to bring up Demko.  Whether it was Mckenna or Nilsson being on waivers (assuming Nilsson would have been picked up by the Flyers also), he would have been jammed regardless.  I think the development plan for Demko trumps whatever happens to our backup goalie.

Like you said, minor trade, but I can't see how this goes in the minus column for Benning.  At worst, this trade goes the in the "Meh, whatever" column.

Archived