The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Maple Leafs shopping Nikita Zaitsev

31 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Yeah it gets a little complex when you look at all the factors. As far as spooner goes I think it would be best to let him play out his contract as AHL depth for a handful of reasons.

-A buy out would only save us 700,000 this season (assuming he is in the AHL for 2 mil cap) and cost us an extra 1,330,000 the year after. That's a net loss in cap space.

-We won't be needing his cap space next season (save it for Petterssons contract the year after)

-He can be a all star in Utica, helping kole and the gang.

-Maybe he rekindles his old form, makes the team and we can flip him at the deadline.

I won't shed a tear if we lose him on waivers but I'm not willing to pay to get rid of him and his 1 year contract.

Well I meant Toronto could buy him out if included in the deal, but it takes away from their cap room still. I was thinking more along the lines of moving out a contract and a forward since we have a glut of them and if we add Kapanen as well. I'm fine simply waiving Spooner ourselves as well if that is how it plays out.

On 5/31/2019 at 5:11 PM, rekker said:

On a side note. I wonder what fellow countryman to Zaitsev, Tryamkin, would think of playing along the righty. Maybe enough to lure him back next year. A Zaitsev -Tryamkin pairing could be very interesting. 

FWIW, they both played for Team Russia at the 2018 World Championships.

And also FWIW, Zaitsev had 8 assists in 8 games in that tournament, while Tryamkin had 1 assist in 6 games. I sometimes wonder if Babcock is just using NZ wrong.

19 minutes ago, D-Money said:

And also FWIW, Zaitsev had 8 assists in 8 games in that tournament, while Tryamkin had 1 assist in 6 games. I sometimes wonder if Babcock is just using NZ wrong.

That's impossible. TSN said Babcock was the best coach in the world when Toronto signed him. Funny, only one cup and ZERO Jack Adams?!?!

13 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Zaitsev showed some offensive promise in his first year with Toronto. The problem was Reilly emerged and took his PP time. Hughes and Zaitsev on the 1st PP unit for us could be threatening if we go back to two dmen on the PP. I would at the very least give him regular 2nd unit PP time. As I and others have mentioned, he's basically an overpaid (by 1-1.5 million) Hutton.

2 hours ago, coryberg said:

I wonder though, would the islanders be on the hook for a portion a spooner buyout seeing as they are retaining 23% of his deal? We need Lawrence gillman back for this stuff :P

23% - it carries over and the same 23% rate applies to the buyout costs and the buyout cap hit.  It's NYR that is retaining.

38 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Zaitsev is a forward.  The problem is Dumbass hasn't provided Babcock with enough NHL defensemen so he's forced to use Zaitsev on the blueline, where he clearly can't do the job defensively.

25 minutes ago, DontFockWithBrock said:

He's not awful... is he? He's a defensive/PK Dman. Maybe a decent fit for Hughes @ even strength? 

However, Toronto has gotta send us something juicy to take on his contract. 

I'd still take Schenn. Super cheap, can sign to one-year deals. 

32 minutes ago, DontFockWithBrock said:

He's not awful... is he? He's a defensive/PK Dman. Maybe a decent fit for Hughes @ even strength? 

However, Toronto has gotta send us something juicy to take on his contract. 

Zaitsev isn’t that badly overpaid and RHD are valuable and sought after.

It would be a little sweetener and not something huge.

Like Zaitsev, Brown and a 2020 4th for Granlund... Brown being younger and with more upside than Granlund.

Just now, Mathew Barzal said:

None of these three will help the Canucks move up the standings, therefore I can get behind trading for them.

We need two more solid bottom 10 years.

Good luck signing Petterson and Hughes to decent deals to be on a team that has been at the bottom of the league for that many years.

By the time the 2020 and 2021 picks are likely ready for the NHL, we would be trying to re-sign Horvat already and trying to convince him that we might be playoff bound before his last couple years of prime are gone.

Tanking at this point isn’t just regular dumb, it is entirely inane and counterproductive to any hopes of making the playoffs for many years, never mind a Cup.  It would have blown the chance to win with this case core of young guys.

1 minute ago, Provost said:

Good luck signing Petterson and Hughes to decent deals to be on a team that has been at the bottom of the league for that many years.

By the time the 2020 and 2021 picks are likely ready for the NHL, we would be trying to re-sign Horvat already and trying to convince him that we might be playoff bound before his last couple years of prime are gone.

Tanking at this point isn’t just regular dumb, it is entirely inane and counterproductive to any hopes of making the playoffs for many years, never mind a Cup.  It would have blown the chance to win with this case core of young guys.

Correct, this is the window to make trades and signings that bolster the current core - not to keep waiting for draft picks to develop. Sure you can draft and develop picks still but this team needs to acquire some already existing talent to make the move to contender.

11 minutes ago, Provost said:

I agree. It's time to let these youngins taste the playoffs, even if the result is a first round exit. 

17 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

None of these three will help the Canucks move up the standings, therefore I can get behind trading for them.

I disagree. Having one of Zaitsev/Gardiner/Myers will definitely help us move up the standings. In my opinion they're all better than Pouliot (62 GP last season), Gudbranson (52 GP for Canucks last season), Biega (41 GP last season), Hutton (69 games last season). Whether the guys I just listed return or not, any of Zaitsev/Gardiner/Myers will raise the floor of our D push the fringe players (not saying Hutton is fringe) down the depth chart.

25 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

You should note where your namesake was drafted ;)

Barring a major injury etc setback year, we're likely beyond that step.

Archived