The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Maple Leafs shopping Nikita Zaitsev

3 hours ago, Stamkos said:

Zaitsev and Kapanen for Tanev?

I came here to type this and it was the 2nd post lol.

Well done!!  Helps TO with their cap and we get a good young top 6 forward who is fast and can play with Bo.

Edit: after reading the whole thread now I don't feel that would be enough from TO for us to take a #5 D with a long somewhat expensive contract.  I would want more than just Kapanen I suppose.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I came here to type this and it was the 2nd post lol.

Well done!!  Helps TO with their cap and we get a good young top 6 forward who is fast and can play with Bo.

Edit: after reading the whole thread now I don't feel that would be enough from TO for us to take a #5 D with a long somewhat expensive contract.  I would want more than just Kapanen I suppose.

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

Zaitsev and Kapanen for Tanev and Eriksson?

Fixed...

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

I'd even consider retaining on Tanev for that. And this would be before July, so they pay LE's bonus. They can always flip him after it's paid.

Edited by aGENT

4 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Trying to clear cap space. I hope they don`t get any takers. Unless, like some have suggested, the Canucks take advantage of them, by getting another player(s)/prospect(s) back in the deal. Zaitsev hasn`t produced much over the last 2 seasons (even though his +/- has been okay), but he is a RD with decent size. I think he`s still got 5 years left on his contract, but his salary is about the same as Tanev`s, and Zaitsev is 2 years younger. It could save Benning having to sign an expensive UFA Dman this off season (other than Edler).  

to TOR - Tanev and Sutter - roughly $8.8

to VAN - Zaitsev and Nylander (that`ll clear some cap space lol) - roughly $11.5

_____ - Pettersson - Nylander

Pearson - Horvat - Boeser

Edler - Stecher

Hughes - Zaitsev

Hutton - Schenn

Juolevi - Biega

Tryamkin?

We would have to take Marleau too, which adds another 7 million cap dump.  The Leafs will only want Tanev.  If they took ?Sutter, they’d want us to take Kadri. 

Edited by Alflives

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

what what?  not sure if serious.  

The Leafs just got dispatched again in the first round - with Tavares playing their principal shutdown role - and a fourth line that rode the pine in the 3rd period of games because Babcock couldn't trust them.   Tavares taking endless dzone draws, Marner blocking shots in the closing minutes....

A horribly built team that could desperately use a legitimate matchup/shutdown/penalty killing center like Sutter (and a blueline lol).

'Built' by a GM that doesn't realize that defense wins championships, and unable to piece together a  bottom six that can handle themselves on their side of center ice.

Sutter is exactly what the Leafs need.  Would we do Sutter fir Kadri?  I don’t want any part of Zaitsev.  

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Sutter is exactly what the Leafs need.  Would we do Sutter fir Kadri?  I don’t want any part of Zaitsev.  

I don't want any part of Kadri either.

Even an LE for Zaitsev hockey trade is one that I'd reject.  

The thing about LE - at least you don't have to hide him - he can be utilized as a solid defensive forward chipping in some secondary scoring.   Hiding Zaitsev on the other hand - not as easy a task  - I can't imagine many teams lining up to take that on.  Imo the Leafs are going to have to spend futures that they don't have to get rid of him.   The fact their media is talking about a limited return is laughable - that contract is obvious and significant negative value.   Could Zaitsev turn it around elsewhere?  Probably - it's hard to imagine a situation where he's as hung out to dry as consistently as in Toronto.....and listening to Don Cherry scapegoat him in every coaches' corner - who can blame the guy for asking to move on.   He wasn't even their principal problem on that blueline imo - that was Gardiner, and a 6th D that wasn't ready for playoff hockey.  Hainsey was probably their best defenseman in the playoffs - by a fair margin - and he's 38 and expiring lol.  What a tire fire.

Edited by oldnews
  • Upvote 3

The interesting thing about Toronto is that Vancouver has 2 players they desperately need - Tanev and Sutter. Toronto should eat that isht up... and pay vancouver a good price.

Tanev (retained) + Sutter for Kapanen + 2019 2nd + Zaitsev + conditional 2020 2nd (becomes a 1st if Tanev signs with Toronto). There may be some tweaking required for cap reasons.

It seems like a lot but Zaitsev's contract is brutal and for a long time and with a M-NTC no less. Toronto is in a bind and in a window of opportunity to win a cup - this trade addresses their two biggest weaknesses Defence and a Defensive Center.

Edit: Just looked at their cap... Nucks would likely have to take on a Connor Brown from the TML.... and also they are fooooked. I'd also be open to taking Nylander.. at a significant discount. Tanev + Sutter for Nylander + Zaitsev + 2nd or something.

Edited by I.Am.Ironman

6 hours ago, Trebreh said:

the Laffs looking to trade an undesirable contract out? earth shattering news from Freedman,

[Rumour] Canucks shopping Loui Eriksson and Brandon Sutter. 

Good one!

Like Zaitzev wasn't available after his pathetic display in round one against the Bruins 2017/18 season, he was awful!

Only a minus 5 in game 7 by Gardiner hid the fact the Laffs had seen enough of Zaitzev!

5 hours ago, coryberg said:

There are 29 other teams that the leafs would rather deal with instead of the team that signed one of their players to an offer sheet. That is the opposite of leverage.

hey,

i'm equally ok with the laffs

fire selling players to another team

so they can free up cap room to match an offer sheet on marner from the canucks

i'm good with whatever might harm the leafs

and their fan base will be freaked out if marner is offer sheeted

5 hours ago, wildcam said:

Toronto Don't need Sutter and they are deep at centre..Teams will give up a decent prospect for Nylander who will be a 24-30 goal guy..

Sorry will not get Nylander and Zaitsev for Sutter and hurt Tanev...  ...Other teams will offer better package for sure...

Dunno. 90% sure that Kadri is on his way out. They could use a 3rd line center like Sutter for sure.  And Tanev is a HUGE upgrade on Zaitsev.  Throw in Kapanen or Johnsson and a high pick in instead.

Edited by xereau