The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning on SN 650 (6/5/2019)

Rate this topic

HerrDrFunk

4 hours ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

All he would hVe to do is buy out his contacts last year. 

And this would cost just 2/3 of his remaining salary of $1 million, that is 666,666 USD.

Edited by Stierlitz
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Vanuckles said:

Somehow I don't see him blocking too many trades. He's desperately looking for a fresh start as well, I don't think he cares too much about the where.

Yes!

Sometimes they get ahead of themselves once the negotiating starts though.  

At least he's a live body to reach the cap floor. Zona anybody?

9 hours ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

Nylander is a playoff ghost and is on a very large long term deal.  To me this looks like three camp dumps for Tanev and Virtanen.  I am left with asking what are the Canucks getting?  Zaitsev top 4 and Nylander playoff top 12?  very curious as to what the Canucks are getting in this deal?

LOL, at negative value thoughts by CDC.

Nylander just lead the WHC's in scoring most of the way.  Great speed and skill, if, obviously, not perfect?  Not perfect dos not == scrap.

8 hours ago, aGENT said:

Panarin (or any of the other big UFA's) are not going to sign for less than 6-7 years (let alone for a laughable $6.5m). It's not remotely a realistic possibility. People need to stop posting about signing any of these guys to 3-4 year deals. I have as much chance as bedding a supermodel while simultaneously winning the lotto.

At $10 mill a year for 4 years?

Its probably more likely than Edmonton giving us their 8th overall for someone (us) to take on Lucic.  But you rabbled on about that 10,  20 or 30 (?) times...

As for the supermodel!   :frantic:

36 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

At $10 mill a year for 4 years?

Its probably more likely than Edmonton giving us their 8th overall for someone (us) to take on Lucic.  But you rabbled on about that 10,  20 or 30 (?) times...

As for the supermodel!   :frantic:

I said that's what it would take, not what EDM would be willing to pay. And no, I don't think it's more likely.

11 hours ago, coastal.view said:

well he certainly is slow cooking in terms of his development

the worry is he might not be fully baked till he is 30

and then will be past his peak

but he is an nhl caliber player

which means that so far jb has not missed on any 1st round draft pick

that is important giving the past management 1st round picks

This is a very good point.  Jake being a hard nosed 3rd line player is not a mistake and not a miss as a draft pick.  Lots of guys who are picked top 10 end up playing a 3rd line role and excel and have long careers.  Even with Juolevi we still have to wait on him.  Benning hasn’t missed on him either.  If he ends up becoming a top 4 Dman then that is fine for a top 10 pick as well.

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Upvote 2

Adding Tryamkin and Kapanen to the mix would be huge for next year and for our continued growth.  It wouldn’t even cost anything other than a draft pick and taking on salary for Kapanen.  We could still go hard and get another player in free agency as well.  Whether Edler re-signs or not will determine what our strategy will be moving forward I think.  If Edler walks then we will need to go hard and probably get at least 2 Dmen, preferably Tryamkin and then someone in free agency.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Pickly said:

I beg to differ.

you think ?   I know hes had 4 years with more than 70 points ...  i figured around 9 for 5 years but you damn well might be right ..

if that's the case , dont you think paying Brock 7 is a tad much ?

Edited by Lulover88

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

????

He's also only 23 years old.  At the same age Daniel Sedin had 3 goals 31 career playoff games...

Serious the bitter taste some people have with Nylander in hilarious.  The kid is a really talented player, he's 23 already has 2x 60+ point (20 goal) seasons.  He just finished ripping up the WC with 18 points in 8 games.  No one was even close to his points per game.  Its funny how on one hand people bend over for Jake (who's done absolute nothing in the NHL) claiming he's about to break out,.....yet are writing off a player the exact same age who is only 4 goals shy of Jakes career points total....And people are writing him off because...he's only got 11 points in his 20 playoff game appearances.

His cap is 6.9 million which is far from bad, in facts that's fair value.  Just wait till you see what RFA's are going for this summer.  Marner, Conner, Laine, Rantanen, Boeser, Point, Tkachuk, Aho, Meier, it's not going to look bad at all.

Ripping it up on the large European ice surface in a competition that is largely a non-hitting affair is quite different than playing in the Stanley Cup playoffs.  Virtanen can be a far more effective player in the playoffs than Nylander.  If all we are looking for is points than we could just sign Panarin to a $10 million per year deal and it wouldn’t cost us any assets.  At least he performs in the playoffs and is still only 27.

If we are going to chase someone from Toronto than it should be Kapanen.  He’s bigger and faster than Nylander and doesn’t shy away from contact.  

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Lulover88 said:

you think ?   I know hes had 4 years with more than 70 points ...  i figured around 9 for 5 years but you damn well might be right ..

if that's the case , dont you think paying Brock 7 is a tad much ?

Brock will easily get $7 million, even on a short term bridge deal.  I think the negotiations are more centered around the term of the deal and not as much on the salary.  Canucks may want him signed long term while Brock might want a bridge deal or vice versa.  I think that is what is probably going to hold up the negotiations for awhile.  

• Cheers 1