The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Alex Edler Done in Vancouver?

Rate this topic

dpn1

2 hours ago, aqua59 said:

I'm not trying to do anything. Just stating my opinion. Can we trade you be an Oiler fan because you're acting like one.

Edler will be gone not too soon for me. 

How am I acting like an Oilers' fan? By showing proper business etiquette? Isn't that the complete opposite of what Edmonton is doing? 

So your true colours show on what you said.  You just don't want him here anyways.  If Edler is still here, that's good.  If he's not, then thanks for the years of service.  Either way it doesn't matter to me, but treating him with respect is the way it should be done.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Edler isn't done in Vancouver until he signs elsewhere.  For the Canucks, he's my first choice because A. he's the devil we know and B. he will likely sign for only a few years.

No Edler means taking a run at Gardiner as well as Myers (who, like it or not, they're making a play for regardless).  Both are going to need term and $ and will be part of a medium term plan.  Of course with free agent D's, the terms will be longer and the $ higher than anybody wants.  

I don't think so. 

Gardiner in particular doesn't make sense imo.

He absolutely cannot replace the hard minutes that Edler plays - and with an elite puck mover added via the draft, Gardiner becomes a measure of redundancy with Hughes taking the principal pmd/ppqb role here.  The price for Gardiner is one that cannot be rationalized for this team imo - and he's just not a good fit regardless, or the type of player this team would need in the absence of Edler - which is a veteran hard minutes/matchup D.

Gardiner would also represent a long term deal for a LHD - when the team has Hughes and Juolevi emerging, and in all likelihood, Tryamkin returning in the not so distant future, while a pair of their best AHL prospects (Sautner and Brisebois) are also LHD.

People also have to keep in mind that the present and future pieces on this blueline - ie Hughes, Stecher, Juolevi - will require complementary guys that enable them to succeed.  So when shopping for fits, imo that is likely to be as primary as the missing elements if Edler were to move on.  The idea of Gardiner 'stabilizing' any pairing - is a stretch if not a leap - imo he simply adds the need for another grounding right handed D to the mix - and that mix gets awfully bottlenecked at that point.

Myers looks like less and less of a likelihood - so I think the gameplan remains:

1) Re-sign Edler to terms that will not post-date expansion - and I'm far more optimistic in this sense than most folks here - I'll be surprised if he moves on with a NMC as the sticking point - I suspect he will compromise to remain a part of this team.

2) Sign a veteran hard minutes placeholder regardless - in addition to Edler - and I think there are lots of good, older candidates.

3) If Edler decides to move on - rinse and repeat #2.

Edited by oldnews
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

I don't think so. 

He absolutely cannot replace the hard minutes that Edler plays - and with an elite puck mover added via the draft, Gardiner becomes a measure of redundancy with Hughes taking the principal pmd/ppqb role here.  The price for Gardiner is one that cannot be rationalized for this team imo - and he's just not a good fit regardless, or the type of player this team would need in the absence of Edler - which is a veteran hard minutes/matchup D.

Gardiner would also represent a long term deal for a LHD - when the team has Hughes and Juolevi emerging, and in all likelihood, Tryamkin returning in the not so distant future, while a pair of their best AHL prospects (Sautner and Brisebois) are also LHD.

People also have to keep in mind that the present and future pieces on this blueline - ie Hughes, Stecher, Juolevi - will require complementary guys that enable them to succeed.  So when shopping for fits, imo that is likely to be as primary as the missing elements if Edler were to move on.  The idea of Gardiner 'stabilizing' any pairing - is a stretch if not a leap - imo he simply adds the need for another grounding right handed D to the mix - and that mix gets awfully bottlenecked at that point.

Myers looks like less and less of a likelihood - so I think the gameplan remains:

1) Re-sign Edler to terms that will not post-date expansion - and I'm far more optimistic in this sense than most folks here - I'll be surprised if he moves on with a NMC as the sticking point - I suspect he will compromise to remain a part of this team.

2) Sign a veteran hard minutes placeholder regardless - in addition to Edler - and I think there are lots of good, older candidates.

@oldnews  I have to remind myself to read your posts before writing something (that after reading yours) makes no sense.  :picard:

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, the grinder said:

well it has happen more than once there is plenty of examples around the league that some fa just don't work out   lucic Clarkson garrison robias , , if the owner don't want to rebuild just retool cant blame jb for ericsson

Yeah but if something like that happens and it turns out like that then it's highly unlikely you'd do that again anytime soon and i, myself wouldn't then i surely believe JB wouldn't especially when his job is on the line with being in a market like vancouver where hockey is especially huge and every move is hugely scrutinized...

4 hours ago, oldnews said:

I don't think so. 

I don't disagree with this.

When I think of both Gardiner and Myers landing contracts somewhere around 7 for 7 each I shutter especially like as you say, they're not really the pieces they need.  

You know, based on this:

3 hours ago, Googlie said:

650 just reported that EF talked with Edler's camp - he will agree to be left unprotected if they move off their 2 year offer to his 4 year request

My faint hope that Edler signs is still alive.  He really is the best thing available.  I wouldn't even care if they signed him for a 4 year term as long as he had a contract that could be bought out if his performance fell off the table.  

34 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

When I think of both Gardiner and Myers landing contracts somewhere around 7 for 7 each I shutter especially like as you say, they're not really the pieces they need.  

You know, based on this:

My faint hope that Edler signs is still alive.  He really is the best thing available.  I wouldn't even care if they signed him for a 4 year term as long as he had a contract that could be bought out if his performance fell off the table.  

I just wish they'd hurry up and meet in the middle like we all know they're going to :lol:

3 years, $6m+/-, NMC at first, NTC the ED year.

DONE.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

I'm not sure why Edler would prefer a 4 year deal when signing a 2 year deal with a wink and a handshake might actually work better for him in due course.  And I also think Benning has shown on numerous occasions that he's a pretty good faith negotiator when it comes to his players.

Sure, there's 'security' in 4 years (which he probably already has in a financial sense) - but there may actually be more certainty of remaining in Vancouver if he expires just prior to the expansion draft as opposed to being exposed.   I guess it's a calculation he has to make, but I'd think if he's confident that he'll be performing well for four years, that there's a pretty good chance he could be taken by Seattle.  If he confident he can perform for 4 years, there's also a pretty good chance the Canucks re-up him - perhaps on a  pair of 2 year deals designed to circumvent the expansion draft.  I would think that the best solution for both sides may be for Edler to sign a relatively handsome two year deal - and then rinse and repeat, adjusting for market value depending on his performance the next few years.  In the end I think Edler will be here though - it's just a difficult circumstance for him to accept with expansion putting a monkey wrench in what might be his fair expectations - but realistically the team needs to project what's in it's best interests a few years into the future, and given the stage of the rething, veterans approaching their mid 30s aren't as primary as remaining flexible and enabling the future core.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

I am a bit shocked that this is even a conversation 

Edler has done and been everything for the Canucks defence over his career . His style of play is conducive to having a long career. He is the Nikolas Lidstrom of the Canucks and as such deserves the same treatment as any other of the all time greats. What doesn't he do, he eats the most minutes every night , he plays powerplay and he penalty kills and he still throws a mean hit to keep the other teams on honest. if we let him go it will leave a hole so big on the blueline that we won't fill it anytime so and surely not with the players we have in the system or on the roster. But as we know business is business

This deal was always getting done. Edler is going nowhere. All of this is simply posturing and negotiation. His agent is simply playing the only card he has. I’m surprised how many are worried here. Edler’s passion for complacency will win. Which is why I hope Jim just sticks with it and goes for 1-2 years at a time. 

• Upvote 2